Author Topic: The point of having worshipping creatures?  (Read 9197 times)

Offline aquaman

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Must...Get....SPORE!
    • View Profile
The point of having worshipping creatures?
« on: May 14, 2006, 01:08:33 pm »
Two questions really:

1) What advantages do you recieve from worshipping creatures.

2) Can your creatures be impressed by other races + start worship them and what will happen to them if they do?

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
Re: The point of having worshipping creatures?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 01:11:53 pm »
The worshipping factor may work a little like culture in Civ. Other aliens might win your colonies through there cultural influence and such. Also, the benefit of them worshipping you might make them defect to your side or give you some cash in sacrificial offerings.

Offline Feigro

• Star Castle Cadet
  • Yea. Really.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 01:13:22 pm »
I'd imagine they'd work just like having allies. If a creature worships you through out it's intelligence, when it reaches space stage it's probably an ally.

So if you suck at making friends, you could well... literally make your friends.  :P

"We're calling it Spore..."

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2006, 01:16:03 pm »
it will be just like having an ally but better, a subserviant ally, rather than an equal, and its possible that they will be too scared to attack you and so you can treat them like **** and they wont do enything
Never mind your own business.

Offline Haddeen Sol

• Adventure Ace
  • The proletariat are undeserving of my presence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2006, 01:48:38 pm »
Yeah, Brutus, like the ones in Will's demo?

I'd like to have throngs of aliens worshipping me simply for the fun of it. I'd, like, bid them to build a giant fire-breathing statue of me that says "Remember me!" every couple of seconds.
Riot grrrrl!

Offline Aut

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2006, 02:02:25 pm »
I would guess that they might give you some form of tribute, and of course be your ally in battle and such.

Offline Gauphastus

• Space Harrier
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2006, 02:03:04 pm »
They may also give you different tasks/missions to perform than an ally would.
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2006, 02:09:50 pm »

those guys attacked him when they were provoked , i said that i want them to be to scared to attack their god, thats me :)
Never mind your own business.

Offline Protoavis

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2006, 02:13:54 pm »

those guys attacked him when they were provoked , i said that i want them to be to scared to attack their god, thats me :)

Will perhaps accidently killed some, you'll notice the tractor beam dropped what he was pulling up and they splattered red on the ground, then they started to attack *shrug* They were fine until they thought they were going to die.
"Oh mummy, the bad man said bad things, please mummy...mummy" said the 20+ yr old man.

Offline Feigro

• Star Castle Cadet
  • Yea. Really.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2006, 02:19:04 pm »
Considering that happened in both demos, I'd say he didn't "accidentally" drop them. He was trying to provoke them to show off the battle scene that followed.

"We're calling it Spore..."

Offline GrapeFruit

• Gorf Goon
  • I'm killing my way to truth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2006, 02:24:43 pm »
Considering that happened in both demos, I'd say he didn't "accidentally" drop them. He was trying to provoke them to show off the battle scene that followed.

Yeah, but he said it was an accident  :D

Will is liar  ;) ;) ;)
Quote from: Liquos
I can't wait that long! I'm gonna explode from patience!

Quote from: Parkaboy
"Around the world you may notice that other creatures evolve while others don't"
That's because some of them are christians.

Offline Granite T. Rock

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Granite's Homepage
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2006, 02:46:31 pm »
I remember hearing a side comment by will during one of his demos and said something to the effect... Ok these are worshipping so they like me... they'll make a good colony for me.

My guess would be is that planets that like you (ie worship) are able to provide more resources for you more effieciently or quicker or something to that effect.
My Spore Profile  ****  My Spore Videos
Wii Friend Code: 7772 0178 1092 3363  Mario Kart Code: 2363-6666-4480 (PM me when you add me)

Offline Gandysampras

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Spore - It's whatever you want it to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2006, 03:23:09 pm »
I'd like to have throngs of aliens worshipping me simply for the fun of it. I'd, like, bid them to build a giant fire-breathing statue of me that says "Remember me!" every couple of seconds.

Is this a futurama quote i see?

Offline liveoctopus

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2006, 03:26:48 pm »
Like Asimov said, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." It seems to me that the species likely to worship you are those that don't have their own UFOs yet, and when they see it, the only possibility in their minds is that it must be a god.

I usually dislike pure speculation, but I've wanted to design a "first contact" game for a long time, and Spore does many of the things I had in mind. So I have high hopes for the kinds of things that can happen when you contact a new species. For instance, hopefully there will be a number of things you can do to announce yourself to a new species. We've seen species impressed with fireworks. If I remember correctly, the GDC 05 demo showed the UFO attempting contact by blinking lights or some such, like that Close Encounters movie. Perhaps you can also offer technology, creatures, or other gifts. Or of course you can announce yourself by descending from the skies with lasers blazing.

Ideally, how you announce yourself combined with the nature of the species will have one of several effects, like these examples:

• As above, if the species is well below your level of technology and you've impressed them enough, they begin worshipping you and join your space empire under a sort of protectorate status.
  • If the species is warlike, they probably won't like anything you try to do to them. However, they might be swayed by gifts.
  • If it's an intellectual species, they may not be impressed by most gifts, but might like new technology or may want to contact you just for the sake of learning about you.
  • And so on. The number and nature of these possibilities depends on how deep the "personality" simulator is for these species.

Then, hopefully this (in addition to the diplomacy game that we've already seen a bit of) results in a number of different relations you can have with other species. For instance, a conquered/thrall species that you've subjugated via war, and maybe worshipful species fall under this category. You would get the production output of their colonies but not much else. You could have trading partners where you exchange resources and technology, but have no obligation to render military aid. Or an ally, which is like a trade partner but has the military obligation. Or full partners, where the species is essentially added to your empire. And of course there can be an open state of war.

I'm hoping, with the influence of Civ and other such games, it'll end up something like that. From what we've seen, the diplomacy game seems well on its way to being that deep.

Offline arithegreat

• Fire Truck Driver
  • Happy Metrod!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2006, 05:34:51 pm »
The point of having worshipping creatures:
IT"S COOL!
"Monkeys SHALL meet buglike creatures with flamethrowers, I assure you" - Sadisticfaction