Author Topic: Creature Editor, Textures and More  (Read 91861 times)

werechicken

Re: Creature/Blob Editor
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2006, 06:32:29 pm »
Please don't double post JakeCourtney just edit your previous post, also muscle definition would require allot more work for a very small return, It would take far longer to get the editor working proberly.

Offline JakeCourtney

• Vanguard Venturer
  • The Godfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2006, 06:32:59 pm »
I'm quite disappointed with the creature editor.

The editor as it stands right now is not bad.

Amazing how quick one's opinion can change when they have 3 pages of people pointing out where they are wrong, isn't it?

If the game releases with the editor we've currently seen, will I be dissapointed?  Yes, I would because I expect more out of a game based around sharing creatures.  You are going to see a lot of creatures that look-a-like because you can't put enough detail into it.  So yeah, if that is all we get then so be it.  I'd still look down on the editor, it's good, but it could be quite a lot better.

werechicken

« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2006, 06:34:54 pm »
If the game releases with the editor we've currently seen, will I be dissapointed?  Yes, I would because I expect more out of a game based around sharing creatures.  You are going to see a lot of creatures that look-a-like because you can't put enough detail into it.  So yeah, if that is all we get then so be it.  I'd still look down on the editor, it's good, but it could be quite a lot better.

The editor at the moment is full of bugs and frequently crashes, yeah I'd be disapointed if I got that too, patience is the key thing here.

Offline contingency40

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
    • Furious Publishing
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2006, 06:35:34 pm »
If there are plenty of creatures that look alike, then that will only be an indication that the majority of gamers are lazy like me.

Offline Elemental

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2006, 06:36:19 pm »
I'm quite disappointed with the creature editor.

The editor as it stands right now is not bad.

Amazing how quick one's opinion can change when they have 3 pages of people pointing out where they are wrong, isn't it?

agreed

Offline Skraeling

• Akalabeth Addict
  • My what big teeth I have.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2006, 06:37:08 pm »
we do uhh still have a year to go.

No, really.  I am a card carrying scientist.

Offline quizzle

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2006, 06:39:05 pm »

See definition?  I do.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 06:50:14 pm by quizzle »

werechicken

« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2006, 06:40:20 pm »
um... you really should put something under apicture so we see a point

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2006, 06:44:04 pm »
Ever play Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 (or RTC3) JakeCourtney? Well if you have you know that one start simple making very smilier coaster then as you skill progress you will not only make better coasters with better scenery but you will develop your own stile. RTC can not messure up against Maya in freedom but with skill you can create masterfull coasters! I know even graphic artist that use programs like RTC to create a prototype which is then use as a blue print for the Maya coaster. (That way they need not to do a physics model and can fix other problems that might happen)

Same with Spore. At low skill levels the player will make blobs with legs. On higher levels they can create truly magnificent creatures. The Battlefish creature did not come with is muscular limbs a bodyshape out of the box you know. Some one use the editor to make him.

(And i hope we will be able to export our creatures to a other programs like Maya but that a other topic)
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline Gwahir

• Missile Commander
  • Every so often, you need a really big explosion
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2006, 06:45:07 pm »
subtle definition is quite doable, but the issue with it isn't polygon count, it's file size.  You allow people too much of that and the creature can't be freely distributed nearly as easily.  While there are plenty of ways of reducing the impact of a single variation by a large factor, however there will always be people who go way overboard and seriously increase the file size even after compression.  So what do you do?  Tell the person who spent all that time on a creature that it can't be distributed across the world?  What a jip!  I certainly hope a lightweight solution can be found, but I won't be surprised if it isn't. 

To counter my own argument: You will also see the same behavior with buildings.  Since they are created by the addition of non-rigid transformed bodies, at least I don't think all the transforms are rigid even though scaling is technically considered rigid, there might be an upper bound on the number of objects to a given building. 

So will it happen?  Maybe, but I doubt it. 
Celestial billiards is fun!

Offline Rene Descartes

• Fire Truck Driver
  • Cogito Ergo Sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2006, 06:48:05 pm »
Honestly, NOBODY except Hydro can complain about creature editor because NONE OF YOU have even tried it. There are probably neat little things you can do that just weren't shown. And also, keep in mind that the game isn't finished yet. They still have about a year to add  finishing touches so STOP COMPLAINING.

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2006, 06:49:04 pm »
This topic, here? It's a grenade.  ;)

Offline Zzarxis

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2006, 06:50:56 pm »
This is more than likely going to cause of lot of flames from fanboyism, but I will continue anyway.

I'm quite disappointed with the creature editor.  I'm sure that I'm not the only one to notice that it's basically just a blob.  You start with a blob and the creatures bodies end up as a blob with just legs and attachments. 

There doesn't really seem to be a lot of tools for fine-tuning.  Sure you can make it skinny or fatter, but is there not any tools for adding definitions?  At this rate most creatures will look the same cause there is no fine-tuning to set them apart.  Unless there is a feature that hasn't been shown. 

Now, this might be myself asking for a lot as I model in Maya and expect full control.  I just see this causing a lot look-a-like creatures.  I mean what about the people that want to spend hours creating an actually unique creature?

Hey everyone, long time lurker here, Just wanted to chime in...

Cry about it.

Take care.

Offline Kyyp

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Multipass!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2006, 06:53:02 pm »
Zzarxis wins the topic.

Excellent first post haha.

Offline Haddeen Sol

• Adventure Ace
  • The proletariat are undeserving of my presence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2006, 06:53:19 pm »
Gawfraggit. Don't you people realise that ceaseless complaining is the one true path to improvement? Let the devs know what the people want and what they hate. If you have problems with his game, Will Wright will not ride his golden chariot down from the heavens to smite us all. Great C'thulhu! Complain if you want. It's an opinion. You're not gonna criticize people for being Christian - which is no different from thinking that the current editors are sub-par. So shaddup. Spore doesn't need your defense. It has pwn lazerz of its own.
Riot grrrrl!