Author Topic: Creature Editor, Textures and More  (Read 95612 times)

Offline mrodgers

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Creature Editor, Textures and More
« Reply #330 on: May 16, 2006, 07:21:11 pm »
Hmmm well you have me there.
Check out my (Thurlin's) creatures, building, and vehicles.  You won't be disappointed.

http://www.spore.com/flash/csa_widget.swf?userid=2263477425&username=Thurlin&host=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spore.com%2Fview%2Fuser-thumbnail

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: May 17, 2006, 10:16:39 am »
I too can see people developing a creature as far as possible with available brain power, and hovering there in the creature stage. (Or rather, I can see me doing it), then when I'm ready, just add the last bit of brain power, make my final additions to my creature as I now have a little more brain power, then its on to the tribal stage! (Dramatic music)

Offline mrodgers

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: May 17, 2006, 10:18:24 am »
Actually that sounds like how everyone will do it, get the creature you want and then buy the last bit of brain you need.  How else could you do it?
Check out my (Thurlin's) creatures, building, and vehicles.  You won't be disappointed.

http://www.spore.com/flash/csa_widget.swf?userid=2263477425&username=Thurlin&host=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spore.com%2Fview%2Fuser-thumbnail

Offline JakeCourtney

• Vanguard Venturer
  • The Godfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: May 17, 2006, 03:23:52 pm »
I'll linger the first few times I play the game, but afterawhile I won't.

Offline Kendo

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: May 17, 2006, 04:30:09 pm »
I agree with what you are saying Jake, the range of creatures I've seen so far are very pokemon-esque - too cute for my liking.

Maybe thats to do with appealing to a mass market like the sims - or just like people have said- they are simpler to knock out during a 20 min presentation. Perhaps there are brush scaling tools to work on smaller areas of the mesh we do not know about yet.

Also you dont need to increase polys and memory use to add definition - look at normal maps, a number of games use them now for adding major detail to meshes without drastically increasing processing time   

But even if there arent any fine tuning tools in the finished version - I'm sure modders will add in a whole bunch of extra customising features/ extra parts. There could even be a Max/Maya exporter tool eventually released for fine tuning your creatures to the hilt :)

In fact the possibilites of the mod community with this game are one of the things that I'm looking forward to the most 

Offline andrew.glesener

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: May 17, 2006, 05:45:29 pm »
Jake, for all of us on these forums you could leave and no one would notice. You are a troll.

Offline liveoctopus

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: May 17, 2006, 05:59:40 pm »
Jake, for all of us on these forums you could leave and no one would notice. You are a troll.
Jake seemed to be in an irritable mood for a time, but his posting has been perfectly fine for the last few days. I think he can be left alone now.

On topic: I'm hoping there's a transition where, after you get the most advanced brain and perfect your creature, you have to vocalize or some such and get a big herd together, then gather some basic resources and make your first hut right in the creature stage. The civ->space transition is totally seamless... it might be reasonable to assume they'll all be. I hope so, anyway. In any case, that'd let us delay the next stage as long as we want.

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #337 on: May 17, 2006, 09:44:09 pm »
a weird question...  it's a bit off topic but a good tangent given by behumant and mrodgers inspired it.  Will there actually be a connection between the stages?  We already can speculate with good confidence that your shape in the microbe stage will be your starting shape in the evo stage.  But will your shape at the end of evo stage matter for the tribal and civ stages?  Will your shape matter for the space stage?  As long as you have a grasper what does it matter, you're using vehicles at that point and as we saw in the space stage your actual creature doesn't matter.  You could be a human, elephant, or worm, the UFO will still be the same (in terms of function, I know the design is moddable).  Likewise with all the vehicles, buildings and tools of the other stages.

The only thing we know for certain is that your play style has an effect on the AI play style when something is pollinated.  But would more graspers mean the ability for more complex vehicles?  Faster building time?  Would more brain power mean more vehicle abilities?  Are these actually part of a single game or are they loosely connected individual games?

Offline JakeCourtney

• Vanguard Venturer
  • The Godfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: May 17, 2006, 10:00:07 pm »
The city stage is still yet such a mystery.  I'm almost sure that having more brain power would give way to having access to many more abilities.

Twiggs

« Reply #339 on: May 17, 2006, 10:13:15 pm »
I couldn't bring myself to read all 23 pages.

I could easily see myself spending at least an hour on one creature, as creating is what I do most.  In the sims I only played to build the house.  I would spend a whole day just building a house.  So I can easily see myself being engulfed in the editor alone.  There is so much to tamper with and to test and such.

The best thing to do is keep an open mind and wait and see what happens.

Offline JakeCourtney

• Vanguard Venturer
  • The Godfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: May 17, 2006, 10:15:10 pm »

I could easily see myself spending at least an hour on one creature, as creating is what I do most.  In the sims I only played to build the house.  I would spend a whole day just building a house.  So I can easily see myself being engulfed in the editor alone.  There is so much to tamper with and to test and such.

My girlfriend was insane with that stuff.  She would play The Sims 2 non-stop just putting together a house, then she wouldn't like it and she would start making another one.  Needless to say I eventually uninstalled the game.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: May 18, 2006, 12:06:36 am »

My girlfriend was insane with that stuff.  She would play The Sims 2 non-stop just putting together a house, then she wouldn't like it and she would start making another one.  Needless to say I eventually uninstalled the game.

I feel sorry for your girlfriend.  :(

But i can somehow understand if you uninstalled it on your own computer. Is really annoying when you can not get work done because someone else borrows you computer.
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline mrodgers

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: May 18, 2006, 10:35:24 am »

I think that just like the Sims, Maxis is trying to make this game as open ended so you can do just that.  I know I plan on getting a basic look everytime I go in the editor, but before I get into the tribal stage really spending some time making it look perfect, regardless how long that takes me to do.  I figure if I will be stuck looking at the same creature for a while, I might as well like the look.

Offline JakeCourtney

• Vanguard Venturer
  • The Godfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 18, 2006, 11:39:58 am »

I could easily see myself spending at least an hour on one creature, as creating is what I do most. In the sims I only played to build the house. I would spend a whole day just building a house. So I can easily see myself being engulfed in the editor alone. There is so much to tamper with and to test and such.

My girlfriend was insane with that stuff. She would play The Sims 2 non-stop just putting together a house, then she wouldn't like it and she would start making another one. Needless to say I eventually uninstalled the game.

I feel sorry for your girlfriend. :(

But i can somehow understand if you uninstalled it on your own computer. Is really annoying when you can not get work done because someone else borrows you computer.

It was insane there for awhile. 

Offline russellmania4

• Tempest Top Dog
  • i r from teh spores
    • View Profile
    • Yummy Goode
Re: Creature/Blob Editor
« Reply #344 on: May 18, 2006, 01:46:05 pm »
I'm excited about Spore also, and I know from a technical standpoint what they are trying to accomplish is a giant leap.  Maybe adding what I want to the editor is a little over the top, but I'm just wanting all the freedom we can get with it.

If you want 99% freedom, play Spore. If you want 100% freedom, it aint gonna appear anytime soon in video games!
You killed Harry Potter  >:( !!!!!
Yes. Yes I did.