Author Topic: Thinking of Spore  (Read 9217 times)

Offline James Shields

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • I'm the best of the best you can forget the rest
    • View Profile
Thinking of Spore
« on: May 21, 2005, 01:58:16 am »
Just wondering did anyone else think about/imagine/wish for a game like spore before they knew of its existance?

I mean sometimes when I'm bored I think "you know what would make an awesome game..." and often I've thought of a game similar to spore, though I never thought as far as galactic conquest I often reached the point of having your own little tribe of creatures that you got to customise and teach. Of course I never thought that with current computers someone would actualy be able to do that.

Violets are blue, roses are red.
I'm coming aboard prepare to eat lead.

Offline Jayce

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking of Spore
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2005, 02:06:49 am »
Just wondering did anyone else think about/imagine/wish for a game like spore before they knew of its existance?

I mean sometimes when I'm bored I think "you know what would make an awesome game..." and often I've thought of a game similar to spore, though I never thought as far as galactic conquest I often reached the point of having your own little tribe of creatures that you got to customise and teach. Of course I never thought that with current computers someone would actualy be able to do that.

Not quite related but it's universal conquest now, more info in Steve's podcast.

Offline merridian

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2005, 02:16:06 am »
Yeah i did, about a year or more ago i went on a whole evolution game/software hunt, i dont know what sparked it but i think it was a pen and paper RPG that i came across and i think it was called Evolve or something, so i went all over the net trying to find something to satisfy my curiosity, I didn’t find anything close that lived up to my expectations, although I did like Gene Pool, which has already been mentioned in other posts on this forum.

Then in a small article in my regular PC magazine that I buy there was a report about Will’s spore demo at GDC and that just re-sparked my want for a game like this, so back to the net I went and then found Gaming Steve and I haven’t looked back, I check every day for any news and to read and post on the Spore forum, I cant wait for Steve’s news from his interview with Will, and im keeping a close eye on the spore site on the maxis page.

Im sure I would have discovered Spore eventually one way or another but im so glad that I got in relatively early and now Im hooked, I have never followed a game so closely before and im sure that Spore will be the game I have been waiting for.

JOY
FATE DOESN'T HANG ON A WRONG OR RIGHT CHOICE, FORTUNE DEPENDS ON THE TONE OF THE VOICE

Offline Amberfox

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2005, 02:37:26 am »
Two years ago I had the idea of a game where you're able to travel through a galaxy full of different planets, create colonies, meeting other species... At that time I realized something like that didn't exist but I'm happy to see a game like that will finally be released some day...

Offline xcoldcloudx

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2005, 04:21:38 am »
awhile back i read a book about a game like this in the anomporhs series. IT was about the creatures with wings that lived on floating cities that they kept up and how they had a game like this.

Offline Nuriboy

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2005, 04:57:29 am »
When I did my ND in multimedia, my Final Major Project was a kind of interactive storybook, based inside an artificial planet called "terristrial eden", the player's goal was to learn as much as possible about the planet and it's inhabitants (the back story being that the "four planets" had been overcome with industrialisation, and needed somewhere to ship there endangered species)

I had to design alot of creatures, and as you can imagine I was thinking how freaking cool it would be if there was a game that gave you that kind of freedom.

It turned out really great and I ended up being award a distinction grade.
It could be frankie. It could be very fresh and clean. It could be a balloon.

Offline Areku

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2005, 06:35:28 am »
Yeh I have almost always been on the lookout for evolution games(EVO, Seventh Cross etc.), and always was left....wanting more, so although my idea was no where near Spore, it did involve making a creature and building it's society. This is wht I have dreamed about times 1,000,000!

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2005, 07:23:02 am »
awhile back i read a book about a game like this in the anomporhs series. IT was about the creatures with wings that lived on floating cities that they kept up and how they had a game like this.

I read the same book, the only difference was the creatures were already set and you had to part the clouds or make them more fertile so they could kill their neighbors, more like a simulation

Offline Tr0n

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2005, 09:39:02 am »
I've always been a freak for evolution games.  I have indeed been dreaming of a Morrowind meets EVO type thing where your creature fends for itself anywhere from a puddle to a galaxy.  Will is simply taking this light years further by giving us the freedom of choice when we evolve.  So I've dreamed about a game like this.... but this is way better than I thought was possible.
Hey love crusader, I want to be your space invader
For you I will descend the deepest moon crater
I is more stronger than Darth Vapour
Obey me, I is your new dictator

Offline xcoldcloudx

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2005, 05:59:38 pm »
yeah stuckin2004 that was it changing a original planet ;D

Offline vbGamer

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2005, 07:25:13 pm »
Yes I did, actually. In fact, I even wrote an article not too long ago (thought about it for months before I wrote it). It's on another site, but basically goes through a brief history of gaming, and their pros/cons. I noted that strategy and simulations seem to be the most popular games in terms of long-term replay factor, and uniqueness. (Strategy and sims aren't always going to be the same game each time. Platformers, action/adventures, and FPS games tend to have the same levels over and over again).

There is one major difference though, and this game is heading there -- it's the MMORPG aspect where the players become their (or someone else's) creation. They can have an Everquest RPG-type adventures on one planet, or a Civilization type strategy game on another, or even Total War games on yet another, all the while, players "live" there simulating the way of life. You could even have events set up so that say, a player playing a strategy game moves a unit on a board affects a deeper level where an NPC gives the order to attack XYZ area. You could have players doing other things like having a race, or playing a board game in that environment. I also get this mental image of 2 gamers playing chess (the chess board displays as 2D until some event happens, the ground starts to shake, and when they look up, they see this other player's army charging to take over a city. Each host player would have their own universe that could be set to allow players from other universes to enter, or to have it closed to other player (or species).

However, for all its' MMORPG finesse, there should be a single player element for those who don't wish to play a MMORPG-type simulation.

Offline Haddeen Sol

• Adventure Ace
  • The proletariat are undeserving of my presence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2005, 12:01:30 am »
Now lemme tell you:

Over around two months ago, I sat down with a friend and told him about my brand new super-spankin' idea for a game. It would be an RTS where you would begin with a little stone age culture of humans, and would invent for them various new items within your ability and with your materials you have. Eventually you'd reach a higher level of culture and create architecture, and new and exciting combinations of home-made gear. Sadly enough, I never thought of actually designing your own creatures.
Riot grrrrl!

Offline Madchat18

• Mystery House Madman
  • The "I'm Not a ____, but..." King
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2005, 12:51:54 pm »
Sadly enough, I never thought of actually designing your own creatures.

More proof that Will Wright is not human, but an Angel sent from whatever afterlife there may be...
This space for sale.

Offline RealmRPGer

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Tanket
    • View Profile
    • Realm Protectors
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2005, 03:18:03 pm »
I created a topic where I talked a little bit about my idea. It was simply evolution, though. Didn't really expand beyond that. Likely because the creatures you evolved could be plopped into other games, such as a planet creation system.

Offline Dauntless

• Pac-Man Maniac
  • EA = Electronic A*seholes
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2005, 11:54:28 am »

Not actually anything like SPORE, but a re-vamped version of Sim Earth
dd/mm/yy

Remember, the Spore will be with you....one day

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Plusi - My SPOREPEDIA Page