Author Topic: Best Way to Report Theft on Sporepedia  (Read 7378 times)

Offline Ryuukuro

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
Best Way to Report Theft on Sporepedia
« on: October 06, 2008, 01:35:10 pm »
I hate running across stolen content!  Too often I see something really cool only to see that someone else has uploaded the exact same object or creature.  I've tried reporting them but I don't think that's effective.  The report button seems to be just for reporting penis monsters but stolen stuff is much more offensive to me.

If anyone from Maxis is reading this, I hope you add features to let us specifically report stolen content, regardless of whether or not it was our content that was stolen or someone else's.  As for everyone else, what's the best thing to do to try and stop this?

"It's just a game!  Stop complaining!"  - Me

"Earth is the Kingdom of Who-Gives-a-****" - Will Wright

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
Re: Best Way to Report Theft on Sporepedia
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 01:49:59 pm »
They are aware of the problem and it's on the list of things to be checked out. They have a few other issues to work out like people stealing their game. ;)

Offline eleazar

• Revenging Yar
    • View Profile
    • my spore creatures
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 02:53:10 pm »
They are aware of the problem and it's on the list of things to be checked out. They have a few other issues to work out like people stealing their game. ;)

Are you sure?  It seems like the game is designed with the assumption that this isn't a problem.

When you add a building or vehicle to your civ/empire you can make changes, in fact at the beginning of civ/space stages it encourages you to edit and personalize the content.  If you do edit i don't think you have any choice but to save the creation under you name and upload it (if you are online).  There's no dialog or notification, it just happens automatically.

I'm not sure i consider it a problem, but i'm certain that Maxis didn't consider it a problem when they released the game, since the game sometimes encourages and almost forces the player to "steal". 

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 02:54:57 pm »
As for everyone else, what's the best thing to do to try and stop this?

Honestly, forget it.

Ok, I'll back up one step.

Maxis, please make it possible to not upload content I have created to avoid it being stolen but still allow me to download content.

There. That is about as much energy as I think anybody should be putting in to the issue.

-Lego

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 03:38:56 pm »
My own personal opinion is that it's not a big deal. Content was meant to be shared.

However, I think there has been enough complaining about it that maybe they are considering a way to show the lineage, who made it first, who edited it and so on. I'm not sure what they might do, I just know that they're aware of the complaints.

Offline Blulightning

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Radioactive Kitty!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 03:47:48 pm »

If they are working on that 'issue' they are wasting their time.
They've already forced people into a viral DRM, and obviously nothing like that is going to work.
It's impossible to stop people from stealing games. They should get back to fixing the real issues...

As for content stealing, I wouldn't know.... so far I've had like 5 people actually use anything from my game, that I know of, and I'm pretty sure it says I have about 5 people subscribed to me (somehow?)...
So even though I have almost 200 content, no ones getting my stuff.

Also, how would you know if anyone is stealing your stuff? The game doesn't tell you stuff like that.

Offline Zoston

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 03:59:34 pm »
My own personal opinion is that it's not a big deal. Content was meant to be shared.

However, I think there has been enough complaining about it that maybe they are considering a way to show the lineage, who made it first, who edited it and so on. I'm not sure what they might do, I just know that they're aware of the complaints.
I'd prefer this to. I mean it isn't even that -my- stuff might get stolen or something, but I don't like it that if I show a friend my sporepedia page, they'd have to sift through the 90% recolours to find the stuff that's actually mine. I mean, as is you can't even tell the difference. :-\

Offline Ondaderthad

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
    • Area32 - Westgate Builders
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 10:13:31 pm »
What part of Share you don't understand?

It's simple. If you want to jealously keep your creations then don't share them. The Sporepedia is specifically designed to allow people to use other's creations.

Note that if you want to select a building or vehicle for your cities it defaults to Everything NOT your own creations.

Spore creations are a form of Copyleft and are implied to be used by anybody who want them.

Have you ever heard of someone Stealing a copy of Linux? 

Offline immortius

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2008, 10:56:51 pm »
The problem is the only way not to share your creations is to:
a) not log in and thus not get streamed out people's content, get achievements, etc or
b) disconnect the internet after logging in, and thus suffer the same issues as above plus not be able to receive messages, etc.

Anyhow, once parent<->child relationships between creations is reintroduced most of the issue will be dealt with IMO.

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 11:15:28 pm »
my problem isn't so much my stuff being stolen even if i was making stuff good enough to be stolen. It's sorting through 10 pages of identical objects because everyone decided to steal the same recreation and flood sporepedia with it. Also makes it hard to have your own work noticed if pages 1 to 10 are stolen copies.

I think there needs to be something done about the order in which content is presented switching between newest/most popular etc doesn't affect the order list. If you could stick fix it so you can properly view the oldest content you can see what was created 1st even make sure stolen content is down voted so it wont appear so early in the most popular choices so easily.

Offline Protoavis

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 01:28:37 am »
How can people steal something from you when you don't own the content? Nothing you made in Spore is owned by the player.
"Oh mummy, the bad man said bad things, please mummy...mummy" said the 20+ yr old man.

Offline AtmaDarkwolf

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 01:55:29 am »
Meh, just add a tag 'original creator' on each item, and then only the original maker can upload revisions to the object in question. Anyone else can snatch them, use them, change them, but unless he creates something from scratch, it won't get uploaded. - problem solved.

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2008, 02:29:20 am »

If they are working on that 'issue' they are wasting their time.
They've already forced people into a viral DRM, and obviously nothing like that is going to work.
It's impossible to stop people from stealing games. They should get back to fixing the real issues...

As for content stealing, I wouldn't know.... so far I've had like 5 people actually use anything from my game, that I know of, and I'm pretty sure it says I have about 5 people subscribed to me (somehow?)...
So even though I have almost 200 content, no ones getting my stuff.

Also, how would you know if anyone is stealing your stuff? The game doesn't tell you stuff like that.

I just checked you in the in game browser...

You have 0 Creations.
You have 0 Sporecasts.
You have 0 badges earnt.

And I cannot add you as a freind.

Did you make a penis monster or something? or are you using a full paid for version of Spore?

Offline eleazar

• Revenging Yar
    • View Profile
    • my spore creatures
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2008, 08:29:27 am »
Meh, just add a tag 'original creator' on each item, and then only the original maker can upload revisions to the object in question. Anyone else can snatch them, use them, change them, but unless he creates something from scratch, it won't get uploaded. - problem solved.

That sounds good, but the problem is that Spore has a tendency to "forget" that you own your creatures when upgrading, so we wouldn't even be able to edit/save to reclaim our stuff.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2008, 09:42:01 am »
Have you ever heard of someone Stealing a copy of Linux? 
How can people steal something from you when you don't own the content? Nothing you made in Spore is owned by the player.
Oh FFS, here we go again.

Right, you know DJ's? Remixers? They practically never own the musical tracks they remix. They take a bunch of someone elses work, and they splice them together. They put in some work, they make something new. Those DJs never claim that the original music is theirs, but they have full rights to claim the REMIX of the other peoples work, is theirs. In this example, EA and Maxis are the owners of the original music, and the users are the DJs creating remixes. Now, if one DJ makes a remix, putting in a load of work and carefully making it sound awesome... then another DJ takes a copy of it, erases the name, and adds their own name to it? THAT is stealing. No, neither DJ owns the original music, but it is the fruit of the original DJs work, and someone else claiming it to be theirs, is in fact, stealing. Yes, EA/Maxis owns the LEGAL rights to the content, but this isnt about legal ownership, but ownership simply as far as being acknowledged as the creator. If an artist paints a masterpiece and hangs it up in a museum for all to appreciate, that doesnt mean that a visitor to the museum scribbling his signature in the corner of the painting to claim it as his isnt a shot at gloryhogging. Similarly, if someone makes a brilliant picture in pencil, telling the artist that they didnt make it, the company that makes prismacolour pencils did, thats absurd beyond belief. Legal ownership isnt contended here.

Originally, the issue with people stealing content and flatly reuploading it without any changes, was that it would be rediverting comments and stats from the actual creator. If you were just about to regurgitate "well if you're that starved for attention, you're just sad", save it. There is a little social element to this game, and some people like it, even if you dont. However, when Spore was released, the stats listed were a lot more generalised (the mysporepage tab), and the sheer volume of content meant that a huge amount of the content goes uncommented anyway. This largely took the edge off the issue, and if you ever spotted one of your creations featured under someone elses name, you could simply contact one of the EA/Maxis guys and have your original put up instead. However, this doesnt change the fact that straight-ripping someones content and reuploading it under your name is as much as assbat tactic, as it is for one DJ to claim to own the work of another DJ, regardless of whether or not either of them own the original music. The situation seems fine to me, personally, but I can understand how it would bug some.

And finally, that "original creator" flag in an item is a good idea in theory, but what about if someone makes a radically different thing, using yours as a base/inspiration? That means they wouldnt be able to upload it to sporepedia under their name. This is just the trouble with it you see. Spore was meant to be like a colossal freestyle creation jam, where you could bounce ideas from other peoples creations, make spin-offs or personal adaptions and such, without having to worry about anything like this. Unfortunately the 'internet element' kicked in, with people more inclined to straight-rip and reupload, than make their own based from yours. I think the sudden influx of content that came with the commercial release resolved the problem just by sheer mass of items, especially with the level of stat tracking (where we thought there would be more).

It bugs some, so let them be bugged. Just for the love of god would people stop regurgitating "doesnt matter, we dont own the content" and "but its meant to be shared". Next time, I skip the words and go straight to sawwing your heads off using the giant cardboard guillotine. Trust me, being decapitated by a massive papercut hurts... and thats before I start adding the lemon juice.