Author Topic: Simple Space Phase Question  (Read 3393 times)

Offline WeatherMAN

• Sea Battler
  • ^ He's rocking out ^
    • View Profile
    • My Spore Creations!
Simple Space Phase Question
« on: September 18, 2008, 01:45:56 pm »
Alright, here is a simple question that I haven't been able to find the answer by searching here or by looking at the game manual:

In Space Stage, (I think) when you are scrolling over a star system owned by a known race, their name and current relation to you as well as a gold star (not the celestial kind, the 5 pointed figure kind) with a number in the middle of it... I've seen 1, 4, and 5 from what I can remember... What does this number represent? I can't figure it out!

If you need a pic of just what I am talking about it will take about 2 hours until I get home from work to post it..

Visit: My Spore Creations | My Sporepedia Profile
...Please Comment & Vote Them Up! Their may be cookies involved...
OK... so there aren't any cookies... do it because I have an undying need to get approval from people I've never me

Offline spiritofcat

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Ta-da!
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia Profile
Re: Simple Space Phase Question
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 01:47:32 pm »
I know what you mean, and I also don't know what it signifies.
I was thinking that maybe it was a count of how many solar systems they own, with 5 standing for 5 or more.

Offline primadog

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 02:04:38 pm »
the number represents that particular empire's relative strength aka number of empires.  5 represent very powerful, whereas 1 would mean one that just started out.

Offline WeatherMAN

• Sea Battler
  • ^ He's rocking out ^
    • View Profile
    • My Spore Creations!
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 02:09:02 pm »
See I was thinking it was something like this, whenever I would look for some type of true "rule" for it I couldn't decipher it.. I think what threw me off is a couple empires that are larger (~10 stars) only had a 4 while some had a 5 and I just couldn't get a good feel as what was determining the number.. I wonder if there is something in the code or somewhere where it is spelled out more precisely...
OK... so there aren't any cookies... do it because I have an undying need to get approval from people I've never me

Offline Telluric

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 02:43:14 pm »
I think what threw me off is a couple empires that are larger (~10 stars) only had a 4 while some had a 5 and I just couldn't get a good feel as what was determining the number..

It isn't the number of systems that make it powerful, although I think it contributes.  It has to do with things like tech level - when I recruit an ally ship from an ally with a low number, the ship has less health.  Higher number, more health.  So, I associate the number with how "advanced" that civilization is - a high number has better things to sell me too, although I always seem to have the best stuff at my homeworld.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little." - George Carlin

Offline eleazar

• Revenging Yar
    • View Profile
    • my spore creatures
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 07:12:28 pm »
I was wondering about this myself.

thanks.

Offline FR27

• Brain Games Mastermind
  • Ooo...shiny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 11:40:20 am »
My crackpot theory is that the number relates to how many colonies the empire has. That is actual cities not planets. I've met single system empires at rank 2 and empires with several systems but only at rank 1.  :P

Also, as Telluric has said, the rank seems to determine the strength of the empires ships. This translates to their own defense ships and any that may be attacking a colony.

Of course I have a theory on how it also effects city strength as well, but nothing to back that up.  :-\
Long time lurker.
My Spore Page:
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Acalanai

Offline Elyas

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 12:31:22 pm »
I uplifted a species and they started with one colony/star system.  I allied them and had them attack people.  I basically went in and did all the hard work (took out turrets, ships, etc.) and then would leave so they could take the system for themselves. 

They started with 1 star and after having 30-40 systems, it never changed.  So I have no idea what that refers.

Offline FR27

• Brain Games Mastermind
  • Ooo...shiny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 12:41:53 pm »
I uplifted a species and they started with one colony/star system.  I allied them and had them attack people.  I basically went in and did all the hard work (took out turrets, ships, etc.) and then would leave so they could take the system for themselves. 

They started with 1 star and after having 30-40 systems, it never changed.  So I have no idea what that refers.

Hmm....maybe spice access? Although there are 6 types, it could mean what types of spice they have in their empire, or rather have a colony collecting.

I'm out of ideas.  ???
Long time lurker.
My Spore Page:

Offline Elyanna

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Spore Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 12:48:54 pm »
I'm guessing tech power. There's five levels of most of the weapons, health, drives, yes? Perhaps it is an average of the level they have.
My spore profile: http://www.spore.com/view/profile/elyanna
I like to make plausible creatures.

Offline FR27

• Brain Games Mastermind
  • Ooo...shiny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2008, 12:51:33 pm »
I'm guessing tech power. There's five levels of most of the weapons, health, drives, yes? Perhaps it is an average of the level they have.

I don't know about that. I have brought rank 5 empires down to rank 1 and bought major upgrades from rank 1 empires.
Long time lurker.
My Spore Page:

Offline Yannick

• Tetris Tumbler
  • The end is nigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2008, 10:52:45 am »
To my experience, it's how strong they are compared to your empire, I've seen empires lowering in star count after mt massively expanding.

"It's only your virginity, loosen up!"

Offline WeatherMAN

• Sea Battler
  • ^ He's rocking out ^
    • View Profile
    • My Spore Creations!
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2008, 11:56:29 am »
Well... it looks like my simple question wasn't as dumb as I thought it was! No one seems to really have anything with evidence as to what that thing means... I'm wondering if it was a feature that didn't really get fleshed out before Spore was finished but they left in the icon and the mechanics behind it.... I don't know... any Maxis lurkers wanna chime in?