Author Topic: An Open Plea to the Maxis Team  (Read 21075 times)

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
Re: An Open Plea to the Maxis Team
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2008, 03:57:43 am »
I think it all depends upon how destructive the bugs is. If it effects the game making to slow, glitchy or otherwise harms the game I think it should be fixed. However if it doesn't hurt anything but making "phantom limbs" and is just taking away time from other critical bugs that could be fixed then let it be.

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2008, 04:08:38 am »
My motto is Anything is Possible, you just need the means and know-how to do it. The problem with being completely invisible in the natural world is that you'd get a human-esque screwing up of natural systems. Anything like that would make the whole system collapse since nothing could eat one really. Basicly like what we're doing, only it's natural and not man-made destruction.

This is starting to sound like your talking about the Wendersnaven. They exist, yet they dont exist, you cant see them but theyre everywhere. As big as a tree yet small as an insect.

Offline Crowster

• Defender Devotee
  • It's Crow-Time, Baby!
    • View Profile
    • The Adventures of Crow-Man
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2008, 05:22:39 am »
It is a simple malfunction/error in the animation programming, probably some assumption that someone wouldn't be stupid enough to put arms without legs on a creature by the developers.

Oh, I'm not saying that what we see was intended by the developers. What I'm saying is that what we see is easily catchable, but doesn't appear to be something that they thought they had to "fix." Really, out of all the people testing this thing, creating crazy creatures just for the sake of seeing how it moves, I find it a bit implausible that no one, even on accident, discovered that you can give creatures the appearance of floating. Was it a bug in the "Oh no we need to fix this travesty" sense, or the, "Oh look I can throw creatures around with my abduction ray and even set them into orbit! NEAT!" kind of bug?

I don't know, I guess I'm on the, "creative" side of the Spore vision, rather than the, "logical" or "realistic" side. If you create a creature that looks implausible, I'm a lot more interested in coming up with some crazy reason it looks like that than taking away the ability to make the creature in the first place.

Offline Feigro

• Star Castle Cadet
  • Yea. Really.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2008, 06:11:23 am »
You're assuming they don't end up on sporepedia or get automatically streamed into people's games.

So does that mean you're assuming people don't have 100% control of what stays in their game?

If you don't like something, get rid of it. Woe to ye who has to click a button now and again. These things would be no more frequent than everything else, and everyone is going to get content in their game that they don't want which will lead to the active "policing" of their galaxy. This bug's existence would add neglegable weight to that.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 06:57:54 am by Feigro »
"We're calling it Spore..."

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2008, 06:14:00 am »
I could make Luminicans!  :o
* Plank of Wood slaps

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF MAN. THE REVIEWS DO NOT EFFECT ANYTHING EVER.

QFT

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2008, 06:21:11 am »
Dude, you read my mind. 8)

Do please make one, Kcronos! :3

The problem with being completely invisible in the natural world is that you'd get a human-esque screwing up of natural systems. Anything like that would make the whole system collapse since nothing could eat one really.

But aren't humans part of the natural world in the first place? If the critter evolved stealth, good for him/her/it. It's not like somethings gonna stop them from evolving since it's "unfair". It's the whole point of creatures in the game gaining sentience and sapience.It's the whole point of the whole "survival of the fittest" thing. If "unfair" advantages were not allowed into the game, or even in real life according to Darwin, Homo sapien sapiens won't be here today.

Offline immortius

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2008, 07:12:08 am »
If you don't like something, get rid of it. Woe to ye who has to click a button now and again. These things would be no more frequent than everything else, and everyone is going to get content in their game that they don't want which will lead to the active "policing" of their galaxy. This bug's existence would add neglegable weight to that.

So you agree that this ability can affect other players, and require action on their part to deal with it. :)  I was just saying that it could, not that it was severe.

Offline Crowster

• Defender Devotee
  • It's Crow-Time, Baby!
    • View Profile
    • The Adventures of Crow-Man
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2008, 07:23:17 am »

So you agree that this ability can affect other players, and require action on their part to deal with it. :)  I was just saying that it could, not that it was severe.

Eh. If you don't want it in your game, it can be annoying. However, if you don't want pokemon clones, shapeless blobs with mouthes, or what have you, it's the same process.

If I recall, the sporepedia doesn't send you content before it does some kind of verification test. I think that was in an interview somewhere. Are we sure that invisible limb creatures would pass such a test and make it into someone's game?

Offline GCool

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2008, 07:45:34 am »
If the bug was fixed, then both Asymetry and Invisiblity were put as cheats, I'd be OK with it. As long as the 'cheats' didn't stop me from uploading them, only allowed people to not allow them in the game, if that makes sense?

Offline Travisko

• Boot Hill Bandit
  • Clover!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2008, 08:07:13 am »
I don't see what's so annoying about the bug? I barely noticed it when making creatures, and when I did it was a quick and easy fix. That being said, his monster creation and story is neat, so why shouldn't it be allowed. The bug doesn't hinder everything else I say let it stay.

Offline HarvesteR

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2008, 07:33:16 am »
I'm a lot more interested in coming up with some crazy reason it looks like that than taking away the ability to make the creature in the first place.

completely agreed. removing stuff just because they're not plausible at first glance would be a terrible thing to do...
as the man himself said, spore should in the end serve as an "imagination amplifier"... what good would it do then to remove creative options for the sake of feasibility? let us come up with the crazy gibberish to back it up  ;D

but i agree, that instead of just leaving the bug, they should 'formalize' the feature, and enable it through a cheat... this way it won't get in the way of novice users, and will be readily available for the nutjobs like us ;) and guaranteed to work without much of a headache... because, from what i understood of the technique needed to produce this effect, having multiple invisible limbs sounds like a punishingly difficult task

nice bug though... must try it!

Cheers

HarvesteR

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2008, 09:56:21 am »
Of course it's cool you can make a unique and weird creature. However, many people would be a bit put off if amongst the four-legged herbivores on their home world there suddenly appeared a transdimensional monster. There's no easy way to deal with this...the only thing I can think of is to keep the creature off-line out of courtesy, but then you can't share it to the world who might want to see the strange things you can create in the CC. Maybe we need two sporepedias, one for showcase and one for actual pollination use?  ???

Offline Feigro

• Star Castle Cadet
  • Yea. Really.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2008, 10:12:55 am »

No. I agree that every single creature will affect other players and will require action on their part to deal with. This bug is no different than anything else that can be made.

If somebody doesn't want pink creatures in their world, they'll actively have to police it. This is true for bunnies. This is true for dinosaurs. This is true for creatures with "crap" animations. For "stupid" creatures. For Pokemon. For Nauceans.

Someone who doesn't want invisible bugged creatures will have a lot easier of a time getting rid of them than someone who doesn't want pokemon. I'd be willing to bet there are more people in the planet that wouldn't want pokemon than these creatures as well.

Of course it's cool you can make a unique and weird creature. However, many people would be a bit put off if amongst the four-legged herbivores on their home world there suddenly appeared a transdimensional monster. There's no easy way to deal with this...the only thing I can think of is to keep the creature off-line out of courtesy

This is rediculous. Keep the creature off line out of courtesy? To whom? To what? Not everybody shares the same opinions on anything. One person could walk over a hill and see this creature and think, "Coool" and continue their merry game experience. Another could walk over a hill and see it and think, "Dammit. that's so lame" .

So someone should keep it offline because some 2-5 people (I didn't count) in a random thread on an internet forum think it's lame?

I would argue people should keep pokemon off line out of courtesy.
People should keep bunnies off line out of courtesy.
Dragons should be kept offline out of courtesy.
Crabs should be kept offline out of courtesy.
Ponies and unicorns should be kept offline out of courtesy.

Courtesy of whom? The people who don't want to see that crap.

Which is why the players have 100% control over what stays in their game. Don't like it? Get rid of it. Banning it from the rest of the world because you think it's crap is utterly rediculous and the same argument could be presented about damn near every single creature that sits on the sporepedia right now.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 10:14:45 am by Feigro »
"We're calling it Spore..."

Offline HarvesteR

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2008, 10:28:43 am »
true.

i would suggest that instead of relying on a bug, maxis should implement new 'advanced' parts... to make neat effects such as this
i reckon they might be too far along the development to actually add this... but one can dream of expansion packs, right?

those could include:

-invisible arms, legs, feet, and whatnot

-slithering activating (like something you'd attach to the end of the spine, or would stick to the spine somehow)

-floating parts (again, a purely logical part, with no graphical appearance, that would just enable hovering without that awful squirming animation)

i can't really think of anymore right now... but having these would make for some pretty awesome creatures
these parts could be hidden at first, to avoid making the editor too confusing for beginners... but a cheat or something could enable them on a new tab, just like weapons or feets

just a thought...

Cheers

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2008, 11:04:45 am »
One mans meat is another mans poison, as they say.
I think it will be bug-fixed in a matter of time, but it would be nice if such a thing could be implemented as a properly supported 'advanced feature' too. Bugs annoy most people, but some learn to use them and to good effect. Making it a standard feature would produce FAR more substandard creatures than enjoyable ones, but if they could somehow make it available to those who are willing to go further for it, without making the creature 'illegal' and unable to upload, that would be good.

You know, a bit like how in the Sims 2, you could bypass the floor limit with some messing around, or create tiered basements and the like. Its great to find hidden but functional bugs, but not if they come at the expense of people who are trying to play the game as standard. There has to be some middle-ground here, that keeps the invisi-limb bug out of reach of the less capable and those who dont want it.