Author Topic: Definitive limit of Creatures per Planet?  (Read 16689 times)

Offline Ondaderthad

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
    • Area32 - Westgate Builders
Re: Definitive limit of Creatures per Planet?
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2008, 10:51:15 pm »
Any idea what the 2 little icons in the middle with number 5 mean?

Offline Logan Felipe

• Ultima Lord
  • SAND JABBA!
    • View Profile
    • Personal World Clock
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2008, 10:55:41 pm »
Any idea what the 2 little icons in the middle with number 5 mean?

Those look like bombs...like the kind used in world war II.
That must have something to do with...bombardment?  ???
Spore! Star Wars! Dinosaurs!
Fanfic!

I blame what I call the Scopes Law (When discussing evolution in the presence of a creationist, the discussion always becomes a religious debate).

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2008, 11:12:47 pm »

Also note that the T3 is locked.

Any idea when and how to unlocks them?

I am guessing if it reaches the middle of the bullseye you unlock T3.

What's the source for this?

From this picture.

Thats the biosphere. So I guess having the dot at the center means the planet is cable of supporting many life forms and so unlocks T3.

Offline eleazar

• Revenging Yar
    • View Profile
    • my spore creatures
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2008, 08:15:59 pm »
According to the spoiler text, omnivores are considered predators for the purpose of ecological balance— i.e. It takes 3 plants and 2 herbivores to support 1 omnivore or 1 predator.

Sorry, i didn't save the link.

Offline BumpyRide

• Intellivision Junkie
  • Definitely Bumpy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2008, 08:59:31 pm »
We were all wrong?  ??? Crazy.

Offline Pinstar

• Ultima Lord
  • Your friendly neighborhood Teralyte
    • View Profile
    • The Legacy Challenge
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2008, 04:15:31 am »
Well thats a little pooish. I was hoping Omnivores were a wildcard, able to fill either slot.

If that is the case, then far more herbavores will be seeded than carnivore/omnivores. So I guess if you want to maximize your chances of having your creature seeded elsewhere, make herbirvores.

Creator of the Legacy Challenge

Visit my spore page!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Pinstar
Ratings and comments on all my creatures are always welcome!

Visit my Minicity
http://pinstar.myminicity.com

Offline Crowster

• Defender Devotee
  • It's Crow-Time, Baby!
    • View Profile
    • The Adventures of Crow-Man
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2008, 07:40:14 am »
That info is a bit suspect to me. Doesn't the code in there also indicate that only your species goes to tribe? It's small changes like "omnivores can act like herbivores" that that I could see them implementing.

Though I'm not giving my hopes up. The above is half wishful thinking. I'm not really fond of most of the herbivore mouthes. They look nice and all, but they seem too specialized. Too specific. I mean, generally, when I give a creature Worrybeak or Rostrum, I'm picturing it as a herbivore, or at least something that's not a predator. It's kind of weird thinking that every time this guy pops up in someone else's game, it'll be filling a "fierce predator" roll.

Idunno. If there were just more herbivore only parts, it wouldn't bother me so much. I just don't like that I'll be seeing that bottom 3 rows of mouths three times more often than any other mouth.

Offline eleazar

• Revenging Yar
    • View Profile
    • my spore creatures
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2008, 01:10:19 pm »
That info is a bit suspect to me. Doesn't the code in there also indicate that only your species goes to tribe? It's small changes like "omnivores can act like herbivores" that that I could see them implementing.

...It's kind of weird thinking that every time this guy pops up in someone else's game, it'll be filling a "fierce predator" roll.

You misunderstand.  I didn't say that omnivores only and always act as carnivores... They can eat fruit, just like herbivores, if they want.

"But for purposes of ecological balance" (see earlier in this thread if you don't understand the context) Omnivores and Carnivores, both go in the same slot that Spore used to create a highly simplified "web of life".

Offline Crowster

• Defender Devotee
  • It's Crow-Time, Baby!
    • View Profile
    • The Adventures of Crow-Man
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2008, 04:29:54 pm »

...It's kind of weird thinking that every time this guy pops up in someone else's game, it'll be filling a "fierce predator" roll.

You misunderstand.  I didn't say that omnivores only and always act as carnivores... They can eat fruit, just like herbivores, if they want.

"But for purposes of ecological balance" (see earlier in this thread if you don't understand the context) Omnivores and Carnivores, both go in the same slot that Spore used to create a highly simplified "web of life".

And they never fill in the herbivore slot, wasn't that what I was reading? Filling a carnivore role in a simplified ecosystem, meaning they are being used to fill the "eating other creatures" roll. My omnivores will be selected for their ability to hunt/eat other creatures, to more or less act as a carnivore. To keep the population of other creatures down, and never selected for its ability to eat plants.

Offline eleazar

• Revenging Yar
    • View Profile
    • my spore creatures
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2008, 05:01:12 pm »
And they never fill in the herbivore slot, wasn't that what I was reading? Filling a carnivore role in a simplified ecosystem, meaning they are being used to fill the "eating other creatures" roll. My omnivores will be selected for their ability to hunt/eat other creatures, to more or less act as a carnivore. To keep the population of other creatures down, and never selected for its ability to eat plants.

This is a *game*.  The ecological web is *highly* simplified.
All indications are that a balanced eco system simply requires 3 items of type A (plants), which allow 2 items of type B (herbivores), which allows 1 item of type C or D (omni- or carnivore).  That apparently is all there is to the balance, not complexly modeled system where an ecosystem is "balanced" when the predators keep the population of herbivores at the right level so they don't kill off all the plants.

In other words it has nothing to do with the behavior or abilities of the creature: All "ecological balance" cares about is the "—vore" label.

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2008, 05:40:43 pm »

All indications are that a balanced eco system simply requires 3 items of type A (plants), which allow 2 items of type B (herbivores), which allows 1 item of type C or D (omni- or carnivore).  That apparently is all there is to the balance, not complexly modeled system where an ecosystem is "balanced" when the predators keep the population of herbivores at the right level so they don't kill off all the plants.

In other words it has nothing to do with the behavior or abilities of the creature: All "ecological balance" cares about is the "—vore" label.

Except from a gameplay standpoint, you're always going to need a hunter. If you're playing an herbivore, it's a bit boring if nothing hunts you. If nothing attacks you. The reasonable choice for this is a Carnivore, but since Omnivores act as Carnivores, it is slightly troubling to those of us who picture their herbivores as being particularly docile (and/or prey) creatures. Both of you are perhaps misunderstanding the other.

I think Crowster's point is that Omnivores act as Carnivores, no matter the circumstances of their design or how inefficient they'd be and with a complete disregard for Creative Intent. You're point is that the game just fills the slot, and it wouldn't have to actively control the population of the herbivores.

Both are right, but they aren't compatible points. An omnivore/carnivore might not have to control the population in a realistic way, but it will still often act as a predator, especially since you are never the top predator (until Tribe Phase).
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline eleazar

• Revenging Yar
    • View Profile
    • my spore creatures
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2008, 05:54:36 pm »

Except from a gameplay standpoint, you're always going to need a hunter. If you're playing an herbivore, it's a bit boring if nothing hunts you. If nothing attacks you. The reasonable choice for this is a Carnivore, but since Omnivores act as Carnivores, it is slightly troubling to those of us who picture their herbivores as being particularly docile (and/or prey) creatures.

If you'll look back, this discussion is not about how Spore will choose the creatures that inhabit your starting world, but how the player can build a "balanced ecosystem" on the uninhabited (or under-inhabited) planet of his choice.

I'm not making any claims to know specifically how creatures are chosen in the creature stage, though i expect it more comprehensive.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 06:01:34 pm by eleazar »

Offline Ondaderthad

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
    • Area32 - Westgate Builders
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2008, 06:43:32 pm »
Do we actually know if we can choose the creatures of our home planet ?
Assuming that we start the full game from the pool stage.

Offline eleazar

• Revenging Yar
    • View Profile
    • my spore creatures
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2008, 06:57:49 pm »

I think not... beyond the general way you can "choose" creatures by friending, banning, and subscribing to sporecasts.  The recent San Fran demo showed the beginning of creature stage without any chance of choosing.

And it wouldn't make much gameplay sense if you could.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2008, 07:06:23 pm »
According to the spoiler text, omnivores are considered predators for the purpose of ecological balance— i.e. It takes 3 plants and 2 herbivores to support 1 omnivore or 1 predator.

Sorry, i didn't save the link.

Bah that sucks :(

I think not... beyond the general way you can "choose" creatures by friending, banning, and subscribing to sporecasts.  The recent San Fran demo showed the beginning of creature stage without any chance of choosing.

And it wouldn't make much gameplay sense if you could.

I think you can choose the wildlife in the tribal stage. Not sure if you can for the creature. At the very least you can subscribe to a specific sporecast which will have creatures that appeal to your style.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 07:10:59 pm by Hydromancerx »