Author Topic: Featured Creatures - Enough Already!  (Read 11315 times)

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
Re: Featured Creatures - Enough Already!
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2008, 03:38:15 pm »
Good job, Jaleho, Yokto!

Though it does make me wonder how exactly they're picking out their featured creatures. I mean, not to be 'holier than thou' or anything, but look at this one :
http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=ftr-ftrd%3Asast-500003584525

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2008, 03:46:18 pm »
One would hope that the tendency to pick "innovative" creatures (which actually aren't that innovative since everyone and their sister has a crack at making objects eventually ::)) will die a death in favour of nicely made creatures which animate cleanly and look cool.

You know, like actual creatures people would want to download.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2008, 03:57:55 pm »
Yep. I still think there is something to be said for a cleanly designed creature, even if it isnt greatly original. Im already sick of seeing all the 'scorpiontail' and 'underbody stinger' designs. It seems people just cant get enough detail parts, too. I made a rather simple, cutesy creature called the "Roiler" as part of a creature-making game me and some friends take part in. Because I deliberately picked textures and colouration that was somewhat bland and smooth, and it lacked masses of detail parts, it got downvoted the moment it got shared.

We all have our own tastes, but all I really want is for creatures to animate well, with a minimal of phasing. Its hard to be original when there are so many creatures out there, but from the overall list of unfiltered creatures, I cant help but worry about what i'll get auto-seeded into my first playthrough. For all the tacked on parts, most of them are still quite bland and have no character. All I can do is upvote and comment on the ones that are good...

I dont mind novelty creatures, myself. I just have a certain taste.
http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-Uroboros%3Asast-500003088161
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 04:09:41 pm by Uroboros »

Offline liveoctopus

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2008, 04:55:17 pm »
I'm pretty sure somebody is handpicking the featured creatures because there's a separate listing for the most popular, highest rated ones.

I remember a couple days in a row when the entire first row of featured creatures was all creatures that look like something, and I wish that whichever person at Maxis is in charge of picking those out would give it a rest. Sure, it can be clever, and if you want to feature the best ones, fine. But let's also feature some creatures that are, you know, creatures.