Author Topic: Space Game Fever  (Read 17660 times)

Offline Shadowgandor

• Scramble Skipper
    • View Profile
Re: Space Game Fever
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2008, 01:51:02 pm »
You could try Star Wars Galaxies, it has Space Fights as well and it is great fun to fly around in a transport ship with people onboard, who can actually walk around inside, take a look outside, use the furniture you can place in the ship or take the steering wheel themselves. I have noticed however, that the average age there is kinda low, I've got 2 people in my friend list, 1 is 9 and the other one is 11 >.>
Oh yea, and the first one now hates me because I signed up for the imperial army xD
Got ignored after he said some very mean things ^^
Oh yea, and ship combat can be done right from the start, I'm flying a TIE fighter atm while I'm only level 9 0.o

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2008, 08:49:46 pm »
Hey guys, I found another space game. This one is a HL2 Mod named Eternal Silence.

The Good: It lets you fight onboard a battleship, hop in a fighter, fly to the enemies ship/station, maybe dogfight along the way, then try to capture respawn points on the enemy station/ship. Thats the game as it is now. The marines on each side have access to a number of weapons, which can be swapped out when you kill an enemy by pressing "E" on the healthpack they drop (this doesnt heal any health). One side has access to a flame thrower that allows normal flaming, or the ability to squirt fuel on the walls and floor and light up a room. The other side has access to a grenade launcher.

The Bad: Other than that, not much else is going on. Destroying external ship/station components seems to serve no purpose. The fighters on both sides are exactly the same. This is said to be fixed in the next update, which considering the developer posted on the frontpage this month, seems pretty likely.

So it's really fun and I reccomend it. The only problem right now is the servers are pretty dead, no doubt as a result of the nearness of the update.

Offline Gungnir

• Wild Gunman Gangster
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2008, 08:56:08 pm »
Yeah, when i first dloaded it they were dead as well..that was a while ago.
They're collectible! Sorta...

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2008, 07:46:49 pm »
I waited until I found a game before posting my impressions of it. It was great, the 8 of us playing kept pushing back and forth on a map with several capture points.

I did a few clever things in a dog fight too :D There was a medium fighter attacking me while I was in something slower. I couldnt turn fast enough to keep get a bead on him. So I nose dived into an asteroid, which reset my acceleration to 0. When he started bearing down on me, I reversed thrust and shot directly backwards, while he was flying forwards. He got in front of me and I let loose with my guns. Blew him out of the sky. :D So basically I exploited the fact that hitting an asteroid does no damage. :P

EDIT The new update for Eternal Silence has been released.

You can see the Youtube trailer for it here:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc5Avu-YI7I" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc5Avu-YI7I</a>

Offline The Time Traveller

• Cobra Commander
  • Building a better yesterday tomorrow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2008, 07:50:28 pm »
HL2 mod?  In space with vehicle combat?  That doesn't make much sense.
Warning: Hot.  Choking Hazard for children under 3.  Please do not exit until the vehicle comes to a complete stop.  EULA removes all human rights.  Special features are not rated.  Side effects include  cardiac arrest and spontaneous falling off of body parts.  May contain nuts.  Acts are being performed by trained proffesionals.  Results not typical.  Thank you for flying with United Airlines.

Offline Gungnir

• Wild Gunman Gangster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2008, 08:12:57 pm »
HL2 has so many mods....lots of total conversion.

Besides, if you're talking about sense, it makes more "sense" than gmod or..let's see...Age of Chivalry?

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2008, 08:21:33 pm »
Or Pirates Vikings and Knights? ;D

Offline Gungnir

• Wild Gunman Gangster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2008, 08:30:58 pm »
Definitely more than that. When would all 3 meet? And where?

edit: Oh, wizard, what's your steam ID? We should play eternal silence sometime (although I haven't actually played a game of it yet)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 09:55:36 pm by Gungnir »

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2008, 01:26:14 am »
My Steam ID is Mr. Wizard. ;D

Offline Gungnir

• Wild Gunman Gangster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2008, 08:51:54 pm »
Well, there's one map that is completely lopsided against blue team. The red team gets flamethrowers that can spray napalm on the ground, and they can walk through it to boot. On that map, their ship has very narrow entryway, and several bottleneck points, which leads to spamming of the pyro's. And not only that, but their ship does more damage to the blue ship than the blue ship does to it

i played for a few hours, and blue didn't win it once. So, we devised a small tactic.

As the last corvette was about to be destroyed, I told people to rush the weapons room by jumping out of their ship over a side door immediately, preferably with a hacker. Anyway, my copilot and i destroyed the last corvette and rushed the weapons room, managed to capture it, and held that one spot until we won.

It was awesome.

Offline MetallicDragon

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2008, 11:28:14 pm »
I played Eternal Silence for a bit, and it was pretty awesome at first but soon got kind of boring and repetitive. Every map is pretty much the same.

Offline Gungnir

• Wild Gunman Gangster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2008, 06:20:43 am »
Actually they only have 2 at the moment..

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2008, 07:11:08 am »
Yeah, they made it seem like they had a few more. I guess thats why they were so keen on setting up a place where people can submit their own maps.

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2008, 05:30:48 pm »

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2008, 06:09:10 pm »
Galciv is a boring turnbased strategy game. What is Sins of a Solar Empire? The site is annoyingly vague.