Author Topic: Things to do while waiting for Spore  (Read 22036 times)

Offline Petike

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
Re: Something to do while waiting for Spore
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2008, 09:29:08 am »
The funny part about back then is alot of things were confirmed but then later taken out.
And things that we could only hope for, were added in since that:
Babies?
Different environments?
Religious worship of you?
Flexibility of joints?

Quote from: MasterChiToes in "Spore was dumbed down"
Maybe the Sporons are the ones that got dumbed down?  ;D

Offline Veraal

• Zelda Zealot
    • View Profile
Re: Read the oldest topics while waiting for Spore
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2008, 09:32:30 am »
meh. Spore was my best subject to speculate on how it would turn out at that time(05-06) with my friends.

now it's just a silly dumbed down game, yes, dumbed.

i would give my left toe for the game to actually resemble what we saw in the 05 vid, i know it was run on the ims 2 engine, but seriously... i want to play what he(will) promised me.

Offline The Time Traveller

• Cobra Commander
  • Building a better yesterday tomorrow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2008, 09:38:50 am »
He didn't promise you a bleeping thing.  You shouldn't have even gone to GDC.  Do you even know what the G and D stand for?  Game Developer.  I doubt he even wanted to make Spore, he was giving advice on programming teqniques.  I bet the first time he saw S:G, he freaked out.  "Oh crap.  I actually have to make that."
Warning: Hot.  Choking Hazard for children under 3.  Please do not exit until the vehicle comes to a complete stop.  EULA removes all human rights.  Special features are not rated.  Side effects include  cardiac arrest and spontaneous falling off of body parts.  May contain nuts.  Acts are being performed by trained proffesionals.  Results not typical.  Thank you for flying with United Airlines.

Offline Veraal

• Zelda Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2008, 09:51:54 am »
You shouldn't have even gone to GDC.

i watched the 05' vid on google video.

Do you even know what the G and D stand for

Yes, but basically he was showing us how every single **** worked in the game, and i must say spore as it is now(the actual game that is) seems to have strayed away from the concept of what he showed us then in 05', with new stuff added but the odl stuff taken away, i'd rather have new stuff added and the old stuff kept in.

I doubt he even wanted to make Spore

what? i thought will gave us all those speeches about science and how the things would be awesome in spore like having care bears vs klingons(or whatever they are called), and why the hell wouldn't a guy/gal developing a game not want to develop the game he/she is currently working on?? Have you heard any whining from will about him not wanting to do spore? no? then shut the hell up!

I bet the first time he saw S:G, he freaked out.

i don't really know what you intended to tell me with that sentence but i'll improvise. Will Wright is one of the most successfull game developers in the ****ing world, and i consider him a pioneer in game developing, and i am pretty sure he thought things through before launching off to make spore at all, since he probably is experienced enough to know wether spore would fail or not.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 09:53:32 am by Veraal »

Offline Feigro

• Star Castle Cadet
  • Yea. Really.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2008, 09:54:17 am »
Well he's right in a sense. Will Didn't promise anything and the video is a rough idea. Something to consider is that it's not as if you could argue the video and coverage was even intended. It popped up on a handful of sites and pretty much no one had any clue what was going on really. It looked awesome, it sounded awesome, so the buzz (and along with it, the hype) spread.

It's why Gamingsteve grew such a large spore community for pete's sake. He was pretty much the only guy keeping tabs on it.

There was no further video footage released publicly for over a year. Not to mention a virtual news blackout. I wouldn't be surprised if Will, or probably more accurately, Spore's marketing team, could change one thing about the history of Spore's media cycle it would be the appearance of the GDC 05 video on the internet. As it provokes the exact kind of reaction you're displaying when people see stuff that's it's early infancy of development.

So again, it's not as if they showed you something and then took it away, or purposelly changed it simply to spite you. The game was in the early stages of development. The demo was a protype at best. It was "held together with Duct-tape".

Though I honestly don't see how you could believe this;

and i must say spore as it is now(the actual game that is) seems to have strayed away from the concept of what he showed us then in 05'

The "concept" hasn't changed at all.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 09:56:58 am by Feigro »
"We're calling it Spore..."

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2008, 09:55:40 am »
He didn't promise you a bleeping thing.  You shouldn't have even gone to GDC.  Do you even know what the G and D stand for?  Game Developer.  I doubt he even wanted to make Spore, he was giving advice on programming teqniques.  I bet the first time he saw S:G, he freaked out.  "Oh crap.  I actually have to make that."

What are you getting so worked up about? He's entitled to his opinion.

Sucking up to LadyM Sporticus?  ;)

Not at all, I have nothing to gain from doing so. I'm just praising the fact she's been with the community for quite some years.
Anyway, you!
*poke in the eye*
There! That's what you get for stirrin'
;-)

Thank you, I have been here since day 3 of the forum and I'm still here. :P Crazy or not?

Offline Veraal

• Zelda Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2008, 10:02:08 am »
The "concept" hasn't changed at all.

ok fine, due to lack of sleep my arguments might be as strong as a drunk crippled person, i guess what i meant is i am just whining about spore having changed so much from the 05' version and now i realize it would be much much better if the video never graced the plains of the internets.

Offline Petike

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2008, 10:02:53 am »
meh. Spore was my best subject to speculate on how it would turn out at that time(05-06) with my friends.

now it's just a silly dumbed down game, yes, dumbed.

i would give my left toe for the game to actually resemble what we saw in the 05 vid, i know it was run on the ims 2 engine, but seriously... i want to play what he(will) promised me.
I also saw that video in 2005, and I think you are wrong if you believe that it was dumbed down, because since 2005, they added several new features and take out only a few.
Quote from: MasterChiToes in "Spore was dumbed down"
Maybe the Sporons are the ones that got dumbed down?  ;D

Offline DarkDragon

• Double Dragon Dude
    • View Profile
Re: Applications to keep you entertained while you wait for Spore
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2008, 10:04:30 am »
I've programmed the GOL myself once, although XNA doesn't seem to like pixel drawing and 1024x768 "pool" sizes, was fun though to watch a 1024x768 pool of random black and white dots "evolve".

It was badly programmed though, intead of using an array list with only the live dots and creating methods that analyzed the neighboors of each dot, there were actually 786,432 dots at all times, severely increasing the calculation times :P
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline sporeticus

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
  • Who shall I sting next?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2008, 10:06:39 am »
The funny part about back then is alot of things were confirmed but then later taken out.
And things that we could only hope for, were added in since that:
Babies?
Different environments?
Religious worship of you?
Flexibility of joints?

Thankyou Petike that is the reason I created this topic, not to rant about what was changed that people disagree with, but to bathe in nostalgia and appreciate the creative ideas people came up with (although your backfiring to Veraal isn't necessary). In fact, this topic is absolutely NOT a discussion about features that were added/removed, although light discussion in that area could be a positive thing if opinions aren't pushed and disagreements ranted at.
In all possible politeness and no hostility, Veraal, there is already a thread for your gripes. Could you please post there? Ta
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 10:14:58 am by sporeticus »

Offline Veraal

• Zelda Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2008, 10:10:43 am »
I also saw that video in 2005, and I think you are wrong if you believe that it was dumbed down, because since 2005, they added several new features and take out only a few.

well, i guess i said that because i felt they took away what actually made me so caught up in spore at all like the way the willosaur took a bite of the hopper creature and then actually pulled it away, that was completely new to me and i had a my first real sporegasm.  :D

Offline sporeticus

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2008, 10:14:42 am »

well, i guess i said that because i felt they took away what actually made me so caught up in spore at all like the way the willosaur took a bite of the hopper creature and then actually pulled it away, that was completely new to me and i had a my first real sporegasm.  :D

Aye I can agree there. It was that 36 min video I watched with that in that made me say "Wow!". However you must also realise that it was a development of a concept at the time, rather than a polished game. Developers rarely stick to a rigid "script" from start to finish, rather build on a concept and change things as they see fit. It is a ground-breaking game in its concept, and as such must be appreciated for that. There is time yet for things to be developed on, in "Spore 2" and such.
Always look on the positive rather than wallowing in the negative  ;)

Offline Veraal

• Zelda Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2008, 10:15:50 am »
Always look on the positive rather than wallowing in the negative  ;)

oh, i will.

Offline sporeticus

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2008, 10:22:23 am »
I've programmed the GOL myself once, although XNA doesn't seem to like pixel drawing and 1024x768 "pool" sizes, was fun though to watch a 1024x768 pool of random black and white dots "evolve".

It was badly programmed though, intead of using an array list with only the live dots and creating methods that analyzed the neighboors of each dot, there were actually 786,432 dots at all times, severely increasing the calculation times :P

Extremely inefficient, but that is how I'd do it to start off with, then go back and optimize like you say. 1024x768? I assume the app was made to run fullscreen at the time. Nice! I may do that myself.
Did you wrap the grid around, so left was connected to right and top to bottom? That way gliders are never lost and such. I'd build the program, use homemade generator to randomly seed the grid with live cells, then hit play, sit back, and watch!

Offline Logan Felipe

• Ultima Lord
  • SAND JABBA!
    • View Profile
    • Personal World Clock
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2008, 10:57:58 am »
Can someone post pics of the first three (flora, vehicle, and Genepool)?
Spore! Star Wars! Dinosaurs!
Fanfic!

I blame what I call the Scopes Law (When discussing evolution in the presence of a creationist, the discussion always becomes a religious debate).