Author Topic: Spore, Wired's 1# Most Disappointing Game Of The Year.  (Read 22480 times)

Offline Jaleho

• Stargate Superstar
  • The Infamous El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Inflatable Studios
Re: Spore, Wired's 1# Most Disappointing Game Of The Year.
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2008, 08:42:55 am »
See, if you go back and watch the old videos, the Spore we got was exactly the Spore that Will advertised from the beginning. The problem was the rest of the world went "well if you're going to make a game like this, SURELY you're going to include X, Y and Z, right?"

And he didn't.

The problem was not that Spore didn't deliver on its promises, its that "Genre-bending" and "Sim-Everything" and "From the creator of SimEarth and SimCity" conjured up a totally different image in the audiences heads. Basically, either Will needs to remake the game in a non-casual manner, or some other company does, because its clear THAT is the game that would not only sell, but be popular.

Offline Fumanchu

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2008, 08:55:28 am »
Exactly, it's the hype behind the technology that we all got suckered into. Whoa, whoa, whoa, you mean to say we can create our own creature and it'll interact in a truly dynamic way (read: infinite variety based on procedural algorithms) with other creatures? And Maxis' response, as usual, was: Silence. So, neither confirming nor denying what we were saying aloud, in front of everyone, on these here forums, which they apparently frequented from time to time.

It's clear that whatever form Spore started as was gimped beyond all recognition; it's a wonder the game even plays successfully through all of the stages. Can you believe some of the devs were saying their favorite stage was Tribal? Of all the stages to pick, they choose Tribal?! Hahahaha, choke, cough.

People, it's okay to admit that Spore was dumbed down for the masses. Take the lowest common denominator of the amount of intelligence it takes to play through this game--8 year old? younger?--and there's your intended demographic. That is not to say that dumbed-down games are for simpletons to enjoy only. I still love Solitaire and that's a pretty easy concept to get down. But Spore was not made for the people that enjoyed anything but Pacman of all of the other 'genres' it was supposedly cribbing from.

Offline Altasi

• Breakout Battler
  • Drunken Pikachu
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2008, 12:19:28 am »
So sad, But so true.  :-\

Offline amigang

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
    • Vincent Perkins
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2008, 03:02:05 am »
I think some people are not quite reading the title properly, I completely agree with the fact that SPORE was the most DISAPPOINTING game of the year. If this had said WORST game of the year I would disagree. Spore for me is somewhere in between Best and worst, mainly because all the gameplay is very average and simple, and can be fun seeing your creations come to life and doing these actions and tasks but downside is that's all the gameplay there is, just repeat over and over again

Offline Protoavis

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2008, 12:51:47 am »
See, if you go back and watch the old videos, the Spore we got was exactly the Spore that Will advertised from the beginning.

Underwater stage where? Form determining abilities rather than part stats where? Procedural actions where? Creatures behaving like they were played in anothers game where?
"Oh mummy, the bad man said bad things, please mummy...mummy" said the 20+ yr old man.

Offline Kenobro

• Space Harrier
  • I am not a robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2008, 09:40:16 am »
See, if you go back and watch the old videos, the Spore we got was exactly the Spore that Will advertised from the beginning.

Underwater stage where? Form determining abilities rather than part stats where? Procedural actions where? Creatures behaving like they were played in anothers game where?

Water stage was not really important anyway.  Besides, other then that first one you never saw water stage again.  Procedural actions?  Are you kidding?  Of course they are procedural.  If form determined ability then everyone would just make huge creatures.

Quote from: Grazony
Thanks Kenobro. :)

Offline CosmicD

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2008, 09:44:13 am »
Good god, Im pissed with this.
I mean seriously, what in the hell is Dead Space doing on that list. Seriously, what?! Spore I can 100% understand, but this is just utterly awful.

3 things: i agree , i've got the same feeling. Dead space shouldn't even be on that list. And spore well, I still like the game but to name it the nr1 dissapointing game is some kind of a stretch to me, seems more like 'tantrumage".

That writer only seems to like game if it involves the word 'indie': ) Which gives me the same nagging feeling as people who only think grunge is good. (or complicated classical jazz). Ugh, NEXT!

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2008, 10:01:27 am »
spore deserves #1 on that list.
Hell, Skyward Descent is pure win!
Quote from: Captain
I kill you in the name of DELICIOUS!

Offline Protoavis

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2008, 09:43:33 pm »

Water stage was not really important anyway.  Besides, other then that first one you never saw water stage again.  Procedural actions?  Are you kidding?  Of course they are procedural.  If form determined ability then everyone would just make huge creatures.

Importance comes down to the individual, secondly brushing it aside does not make your original claim true. Procedural actions as in bite + walk = drag. Only if everyone was playing in the same style, quite a few people were plotting out tiny swarming canivores. Gameplay took a huge hit as soon as stats were added to the parts, as it stands people just stick the best parts on their creatures which is worse. Pokemon has more strategy and gameplay than Spore.

Either way, the spore we got isn't the spore advertised from the very beginning like your claim, but then I guess you can see the emporers no clothes.
"Oh mummy, the bad man said bad things, please mummy...mummy" said the 20+ yr old man.

Offline Grangan

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2008, 10:17:29 am »
Quit being a jerk and like Spore.  They kept the water stage, they just made it part of cell instead of part of creature.  And procedural actions still exist- remember, it was a game developer's conference, so the procedural actions likely weren't meant to be accessible to the players, but tools for the developer to make actions.
Twas Brillig and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe, all mimsy were the borogoves and the mome raths outgrabe.

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2008, 10:50:33 am »
Quit being a jerk and like Spore. 

SPORE NAZI! AWAY!

*superhero theme song*

Offline Vetro

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Behold Life.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2008, 11:17:42 am »
Oh my... My main computer breaks (leaving me unable to play Spore, or just about anything, except for Stronghold and Stronghold: Crusader), I am forced to use a much slower computer, and I come onto the Gamingsteve Spore General forum to see several threads that center around bashing the game pop up..... Well then... SO BE IT

I've been reading through some of the posts and I'm starting to agree with those who are greatly dissapointed with the game. I Had waited for Spore since Late 2006 and when I got the game I felt it was pretty good, it didn't meet some of my expectations but it still provided me with what I considered to be a reasonable entertaining experience, but after playing the game for well over a Month, I started to become bored of it, I played a tiny bit of Space, tried to get the Achievements, got bored of the Achievements, went on to concentrate on the editors, and then I stopped playing all together, I was thinking of picking it up again to experiment a little with the editors but then my computer crashed.... I'm still hoping the game can be improved with expansion packs and downloadable content but for now i'll stick to Stronghold (A game which is Suprisingly better than most of the games I had installed on my Main computer, I might stick with it even after I get that computer fixed). 
"The Finest ship in my estimation that has ever been built or ever will be"- Captain Bertram Hayes, RMS Olympic

Offline Kenobro

• Space Harrier
  • I am not a robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2008, 11:48:57 am »

I've been reading through some of the posts 

Are you saying that other's opinions are amking change yours to be part of the main stream?

@Protavis:"Pokemon has more strategy and gameplay than Spore.".

Explain.  Pokemon uses stats more then Spore does.

Quote from: Grazony
Thanks Kenobro. :)

Offline Jaleho

• Stargate Superstar
  • The Infamous El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Inflatable Studios
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2008, 12:06:33 pm »

I've been reading through some of the posts 

Are you saying that other's opinions are amking change yours to be part of the main stream?

@Protavis:"Pokemon has more strategy and gameplay than Spore.".

Explain.  Pokemon uses stats more then Spore does.

Pokemon (despite never having played it): Well, i could use my blast attack, but he's played a lot of defense cards in the past, so I bet he'll block my blast. I need to weaken his defenses first, but if I use this card, I won't be able to use it against his TOUGHER monsters...

Spore: 1. bite. bite. bite. strike. bite. bite. bite. eat corpse.
2. bite. bite. bite. strike. bite. bite. bite. die.
3. bite. bite. bite. strike. bite. bite. bite. run. get caught anyway. die.
4. sing. sing. sing. dance. sing. befriend.
That's the entire gameplay for the stage where you actually have control over your character. It only goes downhill from there. It's like the sims - you either buy parts that look nice but serve little purpose, or you save up to buy the most effective parts and don't care if anything matches. You can't even act out little stories in spore because you can't control anything.

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2008, 12:09:30 pm »
Quit being a jerk and like Spore. 

SPORE NAZI! AWAY!

*superhero theme song*
come one this was pure gold!  :P