Author Topic: Spore 2m copies, has 1.7m pirated. So almost half...  (Read 51546 times)

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
Re: Spore 2m copies, has 1.7m pirated. So almost half...
« Reply #90 on: December 14, 2008, 02:20:11 pm »
I'm sorry for the double post but i feel i have to say more on this.

Check out this guys take on it. Then check out the comments after to see all the pirates that admit its theft and believe if they keep doing it everything digital will become free.

http://www.devtopics.com/no-silly-piracy-is-theft/

Your intentions mean nothing. You saying * i would never of bought it anyway* Simply translates to i would of never bought it anyway because i DID NOT WANT TO PAY FOR IT so i pirated it. Its not you would never, Its you don't want to.

Just because you aren't stealing the original does not mean the copy doe snot hold value. If it didn't have any value you wouldn't of needed to steal it in the first place or even want too.

The very word piracy means to rob at sea. The word theft pretty much came from pirating.

Piracy now means digital theft instead of physical theft

Offline Moogie

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 14, 2008, 02:32:25 pm »
I stopped caring about this conversation the second people started throwing around dictionary references to support their arguments. Nothing proves a beaten argument more swiftly than resorting to the stone cold exactness of Oxford's big book to try and 'prove' your point.

Not everything in this world is black & white. Sometimes rules exist more as a hinderance to the population than to protect it. Laws are man-made and fallible, subject to the ever-evolving nature of technology and society, and sometimes they can be too narrow of scope to serve a satisfactory purpose. I've heard some ridiculous things in this thread so far... someone arguing that piracy is theft, yet in the same breath, saying "stealing to feed your family is ok". Since when did laws become subjective? Can you only bend laws to suit your purpose when you're an anti-piracy advocate?

Some countries have the most ridiculous laws you could imagine, but they are real, and they carry punishments. But should you simply lay down and accept every ramming the State serves you without a hint of protest? What if the entire population just laid back and allowed the governments to F them in the A with whatever laws they could dream up? Would you just accept it if they introduced a new tax tomorrow so you'd have to pay extra every time you connect to the Internet because you're using up an IP address like realestate? Or would you say "that's BS, I pay for my connection already, I'm going to complain/petition/protest/moan until something changes"? Just because it's a law, that makes it correct? Of course it doesn't. Laws should be there to serve society, not f*** it over, but it's very easy for corrupt officials to push through laws that f*** the rest of us over.

Change requires resistance, because you cannot police a population that has grown tired of the BS and is refusing to accept it any longer. The game and music industries are feelings this very strongly right now. They have to move out of the darkages and stop thinking in terms of "I can sell X amount of plastic discs!". We're in the digital age now, you no longer need to spend copius amounts of money producing physical goods, you can cut your costs by a MASSIVE chunk, distribute your media online, for FAR less prices, which would satisfy customers and reduce piracy caused by the current system of buying unreasonably expensive plastic discs that cost them a FEW CENTS EACH to produce... and then smarter, less intrusive, more effective copy protection can be used which WOULDN'T harm legitimate customers, which would make them less likely to turn to piracy as well.

But no. Let's go on paying £30 for .03c worth of plastic filled with laggy crashy SecROM rootkits on a game that I've never tried before and have no idea if it plays well on my system and is probably full of bugs because game developers are forced by greedy publishers like EA to release games too early without sufficient testing because all they care about is profiting 300% per purchase while gullible fools like you continue to stuff money in their fat pockets and then wonder why everyone else is pirating it.

Offline YESH

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 14, 2008, 02:43:38 pm »
And when you buy and download software you're getting everything you would've got if you pirated it, plus a load of anti-piracy software which could mess up your software or at least make it unstable to run. I say this from experience.

Legally buy it then download it elsewhere.

Never said I didn't. Just making an irrelevant point.

Some countries have the most ridiculous laws you could imagine, but they are real, and they carry punishments. But should you simply lay down and accept every ramming the State serves you without a hint of protest? What if the entire population just laid back and allowed the governments to F them in the A with whatever laws they could dream up?
Hehe, as ironic as it is, F'in someone in the A is illegal in some states and countries.
Seriously though, you should always question authority, because they are still just humanbeings, not some kind of god.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 02:47:04 pm by YESH »

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 14, 2008, 02:53:10 pm »
I stopped caring about this conversation the second people started throwing around dictionary references to support their arguments. Nothing proves a beaten argument more swiftly than resorting to the stone cold exactness of Oxford's big book to try and 'prove' your point.

Well when people start talking about its proper terms then i would say its okay to show the proper terms.

Not everything in this world is black & white. Sometimes rules exist more as a hinderance to the population than to protect it. Laws are man-made and fallible, subject to the ever-evolving nature of technology and society, and sometimes they can be too narrow of scope to serve a satisfactory purpose

So you disagree with the law?. Most criminals do and so do young immature idiot teenagers and that's why they sit in jail for them. Disagree all you want it does not change the nature of the crime or the fact that as long as you live in a nation with those laws you are to follow them or pay the price.

I've heard some ridiculous things in this thread so far... someone arguing that piracy is theft, yet in the same breath, saying "stealing to feed your family is ok". Since when did laws become subjective? Can you only bend laws to suit your purpose when you're an anti-piracy advocate?

Laws aren't subjective and i never said it was okay. I said you could at least be justified in stealing food for your starving family. You aren't justified stealing a game for your own entertainment purposes because you didn't want to spend your money on it.

Some countries have the most ridiculous laws you could imagine, but they are real, and they carry punishments. But should you simply lay down and accept every ramming the State serves you without a hint of protest? What if the entire population just laid back and allowed the governments to F them in the A with whatever laws they could dream up? Would you just accept it if they introduced a new tax tomorrow so you'd have to pay extra every time you connect to the Internet because you're using up an IP address like realestate? Or would you say "that's BS, I pay for my connection already, I'm going to complain/petition/protest/moan until something changes"? Just because it's a law, that makes it correct? Of course it doesn't. Laws should be there to serve society, not f*** it over, but it's very easy for corrupt officials to push through laws that f*** the rest of us over.

The law we are discussing is not insane or ridiculous. Its simple the law is to prevent people from taking things that don't belong to them when a company puts years of blood sweat and tears and load of funding in to it . I'm sorry you feel that they should work for free for you but the real world does not work that way. You should try joining it sometime.

Change requires resistance, because you cannot police a population that has grown tired of the BS and is refusing to accept it any longer. The game and music industries are feelings this very strongly right now. They have to move out of the darkages and stop thinking in terms of "I can sell X amount of plastic discs!". We're in the digital age now, you no longer need to spend copius amounts of money producing physical goods, you can cut your costs by a MASSIVE chunk, distribute your media online, for FAR less prices, which would satisfy customers and reduce piracy caused by the current system of buying unreasonably expensive plastic discs that cost them a FEW CENTS EACH to produce... and then smarter, less intrusive, more effective copy protection can be used which WOULDN'T harm legitimate customers, which would make them less likely to turn to piracy as well.

The change your trying to make is MAN I DON'T WANT TO PAY FOR THAT GIMME GIMME GIMME. Grow up. It does not need changing, Pay for what you want and if you can't afford it then go without. This stuff is a luxury not something you need to survive. They can charge what ever they want to as they work to create it.

But no. Let's go on paying £30 for .03c worth of plastic filled with laggy crashy SecROM rootkits on a game that I've never tried before and have no idea if it plays well on my system and is probably full of bugs because game developers are forced by greedy publishers like EA to release games too early without sufficient testing because all they care about is profiting 300% per purchase while gullible fools like you continue to stuff money in their fat pockets and then wonder why everyone else is pirating it.

Then ether research it before hand or go without it. Don't play it at all simple as that, You have no right to steal it.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 02:57:10 pm by Gorman Conall »

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 14, 2008, 05:37:57 pm »
OK. Lets go what USA the laws says about the issue. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dowling_v._United_States_(1985)

So even the Supreme Court of the United States do not equal it to stealing. (And that is pretty much the highest authority you can get on the issue. At least in USA)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 05:58:19 pm by Yokto »
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 14, 2008, 05:40:03 pm »
Theres nothing on that wiki page?. Like nothing at all

Wikipedia does not have an article with this exact name.

Offline Null

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 14, 2008, 05:42:58 pm »
close the parenthesis at the end in the bar.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dowling_v._United_States_(1985)

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 14, 2008, 05:58:53 pm »
I fixed it. Look it up now.
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline munchkin5

• Punch-Out Champ
  • Gentlemen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 15, 2008, 08:34:39 am »
Gorman, i read youir dictionary entry, did you even read that?, it had nothing to do with piracy in it.

Offline YESH

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 15, 2008, 10:03:10 am »
Gorman, i read youir dictionary entry, did you even read that?, it had nothing to do with piracy in it.
A copy of a copyrighted work is what you'd get if you pirated something?

Offline Protoavis

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 20, 2008, 01:16:42 am »
Your intentions mean nothing. You saying * i would never of bought it anyway* Simply translates to i would of never bought it anyway because i DID NOT WANT TO PAY FOR IT so i pirated it. Its not you would never, Its you don't want to.

One part of that argument you've glossed over is it often only applies to poor quality games or games that aren't catered to the target audience.  Truely great products are more often met with actual purchases. If anything it's more a statement on the medicority of products and the general unwillingness of the population to see the emperors new clothes.
"Oh mummy, the bad man said bad things, please mummy...mummy" said the 20+ yr old man.

Offline AlfredO

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 20, 2008, 03:14:56 am »
*worlds smallest violin* I paid for the game and didn't get one of its main services because their IT department was too dumb to make a simple plan for their database. Not to mention the game was quite far from what they advertised it to be. They decide to slowly drain our wallets for products and gameplay that, in my opinion, should have launched with the game.

So they take a deserved hit in the pocket. EA is one of the worst companies on earth and they deserve to go down for it. They brought it on themselves anyway. They can't be nice to their customers, they have to treat us all like we're criminals, and they don't care how much money they lose because they're clinging too tightly to gestapo tactics.

Hopefully this happens to The Sims 3 and any other franchise who decides to screw their fans over.

Offline MisterBibs

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 20, 2008, 08:52:12 pm »
Hopefully this happens to The Sims 3 and any other franchise who decides to screw their fans over.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111elevenhundredandelevenoneone

EA's "screwing over of fans" is nerd rage, especially with Sims 3. For everyone one person who doesn't buy it, 10 will.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 21, 2008, 02:26:51 am »
Oh hai, you must be new here.
Stop trolling. Thanks.

Offline DarkDragon

• Double Dragon Dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 21, 2008, 03:46:07 am »
I'm sorry for the double post but i feel i have to say more on this.

Check out this guys take on it. Then check out the comments after to see all the pirates that admit its theft and believe if they keep doing it everything digital will become free.

http://www.devtopics.com/no-silly-piracy-is-theft/

Just because you aren't stealing the original does not mean the copy doe snot hold value. If it didn't have any value you wouldn't of needed to steal it in the first place or even want too.

The very word piracy means to rob at sea. The word theft pretty much came from pirating.

Piracy now means digital theft instead of physical theft

Sometimes it's not the I DID NOT WANT TO PAY FOR IT but more the I CURRENTLY DON'T HAVE MONEY TO PAY FOR IT or I JUST WANNA TRY IT FOR A FEW DAYS. Seriously, if I pirate a game and like it then I buy it, sure the company gets the money later but they still get it. If I pirate the game and delete it 3 days after because it sucks it makes no difference at all because that is the equivalent of a friend who owns the game letting me borrow it for a few days to try it off.

So basically:

I like it -> I buy it.
I don't like it -> I delete it.

By the way, in most places the illegal part is not downloading the stuff, it's distributing it. So the ones who are actually breaking the law are the ones who put the torrents, etc up and running on the internet and those who seed them.

Also, make sure the dictionary references you're using are from a free online dictionary otherwise you could be accused of stealing it  ;D
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.