Author Topic: Steve Grand's "Sim-Biosis"  (Read 20731 times)

Offline Null

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Steve Grand's "Sim-Biosis"
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2008, 05:23:41 pm »
It has long been assumed that brown bears (NOT grizzlies) and polar bears had a close evolutionary relationship. Despite the color and behavior they are morphologically very similar. The other bears, in south America and such, are very distinct evolutionarily. Do you have a source saying they “are all the same?”

I guess I just really feel like a science discussion right now  :D
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 05:26:24 pm by Fledgeling »

Offline Protoavis

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2008, 08:37:36 pm »
It has long been assumed that brown bears (NOT grizzlies) and polar bears had a close evolutionary relationship.

Well they can interbreed which is generally an indication that they aren't that distant, I mean we can't breed with chimpanzee's (Stalin tried it in the 1920's, he wanted to create an army of human/apes) even though we're genetically similiar *shrug*
"Oh mummy, the bad man said bad things, please mummy...mummy" said the 20+ yr old man.

Offline Koronii

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2008, 09:35:18 pm »
...This is not going to live up to the hype you people are generating here. I personally doubt that it will even live up to the hype being put about by its creators. I imagine this thing will do well for the most part, but in the end it will end up with one critical flaw, which is that all of the creatures are likely going to be mindless drones, performing functions, rather than living.

Offline Notorious B.O.B

• Venture Conqueror
  • I still live!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2008, 09:38:09 pm »
It has long been assumed that brown bears (NOT grizzlies) and polar bears had a close evolutionary relationship.

Well they can interbreed which is generally an indication that they aren't that distant, I mean we can't breed with chimpanzee's (Stalin tried it in the 1920's, he wanted to create an army of human/apes) even though we're genetically similiar *shrug*
Leave to a Thark his head and one hand and he may yet conquer.

The glass is alway in balance and full: half liquid, half gas.

Visit my Sporepedia page! http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Bob_Of_Mars

Offline Techleo

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2008, 10:34:47 pm »
 Well except Baldurs Gate 1 and 2, they lived up to the hype. As did Master of Orion 2. Hrmm which others.. Gah thats going back in time. It seems the earlier games lived up to hype because they had less hype. :D

Offline Blulightning

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Radioactive Kitty!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2008, 11:39:03 pm »
Yes, I am Jason (JAson LEe HOlm). Three years ago I got a wild idea and decided to start writing all the people involved with things remotely related to Spore to see what they thought of it. I heard back from Maciej Komosinski of Framsticks, Karl Sims of Evolved Virtual Creatures, Takeo Igarashi of Teddy, and Steve Grand of Creatures. Last week after hearing the science community's blowback of Spore, I decided to write back to Steve Grand and see what he's been up to, and this thread is the responses between us.

Sim-Biosis is on hold or coming along slowly (as he doesn't have a company producing it yet -- just himself) while Steve does some commercial robot products to get funding, to do the game and other projects. All his websites are down for the moment, til he gets a moment to update them.

All cleared up? ;)

Should put this in the first post for clarification.  ;)

Since the first post just starts off the email, with no introduction to what this topic is about.

Offline Spore-addict

• Kaboom Boomer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2008, 03:30:37 am »
Cool topic...really enjoy it.

Much of it is very intresting.

I think in spore we have the platform for the graphics. The depth is what did go wrong. like limb placing etc etc.
That could have been major fun. But instead they choose the kiddy way..and killed it.

Hopefully mods can solve it out. although I strongly doubt it.

Some games do live up to their hype. Has already seen a review of the hyped up fable 2 and it got insane good reviews.

I am almost sure that fallout 3 will be great too.

Then we have MASS EFFECT, an incredible story and likely the best in years.

There are plenty where they hype does hit right. but The majority like 99% is WAY over hyped.
Master Raytracer Spore-addict = KarmaCowboy

See you out there, feel free to comment my creatures.

Offline Shadowgandor

• Scramble Skipper
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2008, 08:12:44 am »
Also, I now suddenly feel the need to whip out my old Creatures games and see if I can get them to work on Vista. >_>

Creatures 2 won't work on vista =(

Anyway, like Addict said, cool topic. Loved Creatures 2 (never played the first), although it was very hard for me when I played it. I was like, 11 when I last played it :P

Offline Techleo

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2008, 09:29:39 am »
 Fallout 3 is definitely fun. Nuclear Slingshot.. Nuff said! :D Seriously leveling a entire area in one shot, priceless!
 I haven't had as much time with Fable 2 but it seems very good. I really like the menu system a lot LOT better then the past game. Its hands down one of the better games Peter has mad. :)

I still spend most of my time on Spore though. I'm working heavily on a new art direction for my entire species. :)

Curious note. You were right, he is studying Brown bears, my bad, said that the DNA between polar and Browns is so similar but they have tracked down a species on a island in southern Alaska which appears to have almost NO dormant DNA. Its almost as if it is a base promethean species as he put it. Its DNA shows little evidence of previous species separation. Meaning unlike the Browns and Polars it doesn't have much evidence of coming from another species before it via specialization. Very odd bear. VERY useful he says. If polar bears ever went extinct or pure browns youd have a template to recreate both of them with. Hehe or come up with new species! Man I feel like playing sim life suddenly. :D
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 09:49:09 am by Techleo »

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2008, 11:50:55 am »
...This is not going to live up to the hype you people are generating here. I personally doubt that it will even live up to the hype being put about by its creators. I imagine this thing will do well for the most part, but in the end it will end up with one critical flaw, which is that all of the creatures are likely going to be mindless drones, performing functions, rather than living.

*reads post
*replies
*goes eat
*goes watch tv
*goes bathroom
*goes sleep
repeat.
* Plank of Wood slaps

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF MAN. THE REVIEWS DO NOT EFFECT ANYTHING EVER.

QFT

Offline Techleo

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2008, 12:22:07 pm »
 Obviously someone missed the personality patch :P ;)

Offline Jaleho

• Stargate Superstar
  • The Infamous El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Inflatable Studios
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2008, 01:58:46 pm »

Are you describing Sim-Biosis or Spore? ;)

Offline Techleo

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2008, 02:42:52 pm »
 I think he means SimBiosis , but point well taken.

Offline DarkDragon

• Double Dragon Dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2008, 03:29:49 pm »
I don't think it is a "game" for everyone, I personally like playing around in games/software that let you play around with electronics or "dna" but I know some people just wont like it.
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Tonjevic

• Scramble Skipper
  • Victori Jane Surn
    • View Profile
    • It's my muck-around space.
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2008, 10:08:40 pm »
It's been a few weeks. Nothing's up on Sim-Biosis.com.

I want it to be released! :(

-Understated elegance.