Author Topic: The First Grand RP - Whetstone's War  (Read 22650 times)

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
The First Grand RP - Whetstone's War
« on: August 17, 2008, 06:05:55 pm »
Welcome to Gaia, an oddly familiar planet. In the time since life first began on Gaia, humans have come to rule the roost. It isn't a perfect world but then again who's to say what perfection is anyway? At some point in the past there was a split amongst the humans of Gaia. Some groups decided that they could be better and so they began augmenting their bodies. These augmented humans (known as Augs) were far superior to their basic counterparts. Of course this did not sit well with many and eventually someone did something stupid and a war started. In the end the Augs were beaten into submission and their augments removed. Well, mostly removed... you see, humans are a resourceful bunch and they decided to use the Augs to do their heavy lifting. The Augs were stripped of their weapons but allowed to keep anything that would be useful to the jobs they were assigned. And so this is how things went for centuries. A futuristic utopia was developed on the backs of the Augs and things were good. Then came a time of social reform and many began calling for an end to Aug oppression. Another war was fought, a war of words, and in the end the Augs were granted their freedom. This is the world that you will enter. It is a prosperous world with limitless opportunity for those who are willing to seize it.

Michael Whetstone stood at a podium in front of a massive crowd. Behind him was a glass tower in the shape of a double helix. Etched into the glass above the doors were three words: Augment Resource Network

"And it is my promise that this network will afford augmented humans the resources they require to get ahead and allow the non-augmented humans to feel the sense of safety that they need to move forward." Michael was saying "Gone are the dark days of oppression! Today we begin a new chapter in humanity's story. We may now finally begin to coexist as one and move into the future... together."

The crowd erupted into applause and Michael turned around to cut the ribbon draped across the tower's doors. Shortly after he had finished, a sleek black limo descended from the sky to whisk Michael away. He was a very busy man. Leading a third of the world tended to tire a person out. As the Augment Resource Network slipped off into the distance, a clipboard was pushed into Michael's lap.

"What's this?" he asked.

"The final bit of paperwork associated with the ARN." his assistant said "You know... that bit of paperwork."

"Right, how could I forget?" he laughed "Do they really believe that it'd cost a trillion dollars to design a computer that would give weather and traffic reports to Augs? I swear, some people. Once the authorities begin enforcing this new law though it won't matter. The days are numbered for those pathetic dogs that try to call themselves human."

With a swift pen stroke Michael signed the document. He leaned back in his seat and smiled. The limo raced past a small gathering on the outskirts of town. There, a man was preaching loudly to anyone who would listen.

"Beware the kind words of Representative Whetstone!" he hollered "Beware the Augment Resource Network! It's just another form of control! The war is not over! No... the war is just beginning!"
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 06:08:01 pm by PatMan33 »

Offline Gunner

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • No Smoking Zone
    • View Profile
Re: The First Grand RP - Whetstone's War
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 07:16:52 pm »
Robert Hanieur's cold, dark workshop laid closed to the world, with only Robert and his machines inside. He always did this, locking himself alone with his work for hours, his fingers numbed from the cold metal and rubber he worked with. The pieces would slowly came together to form something more, something better. He sat there, staring at his work. He was tired.
 "Augh. I hate this."
He was hungry. It was the one thing he could never fix, his never ending stomach. He got up, and creaked open his workshop door. He glanced at a clock.
  "6 hours in. Good."
He walked past, on towards his meal. He never could get himself to eat stable meals. Always eating when he was hungry, or whenever he was offered food.
He sat down next to a telescreen to eat a cold sandwich and produce slices. Some politician was on the screen, talking about the moving forward of the Augs.
 "I can tell you what I want. I want you to shut up, and let me finish eating."
He shut the screen off in disgust. He hated politicians. They weren't evil in his eyes, he just couldn't stand them. Not at all. IT was in the way they hold themselves. The power they thought they had...
He finished his food, and didn't linger. He was quickly off to his workstation.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 07:25:46 pm by Gunner »
:O
Also, Gunner is one of the children.
It's true.

Offline Little

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • I'm a drunk...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 07:50:13 pm »
Jason sat in the bar, tattered brown coat wrapped around him. Jim, the owner of the sleazy tavern, refilled his mug as Jason slapped a coin down on the table. He was watching some politician make some speech about equal rights for the Augs on Jim's ancient plasma screen TV. He sighed, surveying the grimy bar. The only other people in here were the other bums like him, the ones that weren't begging for money, that is.

Jason sighed again. His life had gone downhill since he got out of prison. Nobody wanted to hire a convict that has nearly no credentials. He sipped his beer slowly, still watching the TV. The politician was cutting a ribbon in front of a nice building. Jason wondered what the inside of the building was like, and brightened. Maybe he'd drop by tomorrow on his walk and see if they let him in! unlikely, but possible.

He drained the rest of his beer, said his goodbyes to Jim, and walked out the door, wondering what nice park he was going to walk through today.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 07:56:24 pm by Little »
The best person ever.  She should have won the Peace Prize.

What? No full control over children? You do realize that some of us have particular plans for those children.

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 08:43:18 pm »
Art was near the front of the crowd around Whetstone, his position as one of the few Augs in the traffic control division affording him a place with the officials at such events.  As the limo lifted away from the stage he began muttering just low enough that those around him couldn't hear.  "Driving through scheduled public gathering.  Parking outside of designated area.  Previous charges exacerbated by possible endangerment to pedestrian traffic.  Subject to a combined fine of one-hundred and fifteen dollars."  The list of charges wasn't made out of any particular malice or even an intent to have them filed.  It was just one of many threads of thought that ran through the back of his head.

As the crowd dispersed he took a small Rubik's Cube from his pocket and began idly turning the sides.  He already knew five algorithms for solving one, but he could still find a sixth or a proof that there were only five.
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline emmet

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 03:34:54 am »
Amy Piper, (GNN's favourite reporter!), was seated close to the front in the little group that had been cordoned off for the media crowd during Whetstone's presentation. She was wearing her trademark smile as she watched the politician speak, but the man sitting next to her knew that that smile meant nothing.

"Amy..." Rocky murmured, leaning towards her. "This thing is supposed to end in a few minutes, maybe we should think about finding our van... You know, try and get an exclusive."

Amy knew exactly what he meant, and smiled a much more sincere smile.

"Alright, come on, and try not to attract too much attention."

Ten minutes later the two were parked just around the corner from the ARN building, watching a black limo take off from the crowd gathered at its base.

"Right, tail him." Rocky waited until the limo passed over them, then turned the vans ignition and began to follow it.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 04:52:44 am »
The figure squatted in a cold basement, hunched like an ape. Whetstone's words echoed hollowly in that dark chamber, and in the mind of its occupant. There was a loud mechanical whirr, such that would never be heard from a modern aug, as its bulky, metallic arm lifted a concrete rock from the floor. Into that stone its hatred flowed, its giant hand clenched - and dust flowed down to the floor.

OLG then extended his arm to turn off the television screen, and the chamber was lit only by the ruddy glow of the LEDs embedded in his chest. He waited.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Kenotai

• Krull Slayer
  • Wint firinoint vai.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 07:32:46 am »
Vangelis was waiting patiently behind the counter of his store "Robo Resources", people had been coming and going, buying whatever parts would help them finish their projects.  Vangelis gave out a little sigh, business was always slow on Mondays.  He decided to turn on the old television to the side of counter.  On it was some guy in front of a crowd, standing in front of some fancy tower, finishing up his speech.

"...Together."  There was a round of applause followed by the guy cutting a ribbon.  Vangelis then noticed the building's name: Augment Resource Network.

"I wonder what that tower is all about, although it sounds like a very pro-Aug establishment." he thought aloud.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 11:08:58 am by Kenotai »
Visit, Vote, Vykusi - New Poll 9/01/08

Quote from: Little
I, for a fact, quite like Keno[tai]. He's my favorite.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 07:54:38 am »
Whetstone's limousine traveled for some time before coming to a halt in front of an enormous steel skyscraper. It was the NU Building (referred to as "the new building") and it housed every agency that formed the Northern Union's government. The base levels were occupied by lowly office workers, the mayor and police and fire chiefs were higher up the food chain, up near the top was the President of the Northern Union, and at the summit was Michael Whetstone.

"We've got a tail." the assistant said.

"Great!" Whetstone replied with a laugh "That'll be handy."

He pushed the door of the limo open and stepped out onto the magnificent promenade that was out in front of the NU Building. The sun sat high in the sky and made the surrounding cityscape glow brightly. Hundreds of thousand of pedestrians were going about their business on the city streets and the all sorts of vehicles whizzed by en route to their destinations. Smiling and taking a deep breath, Michael turned to the news van and waved. Across the street, massive screen began playing an announcement.

"Attention! Attention! All augmented citizens are requested to register with the Augment Resource Network as soon as possible. Failure to register will result in a fine, after which you will be required to register or remain in protective custody. Register today and receive fifty credits on us! The Augment Resource Network, giving everyone what they deserve!"

Offline Gunner

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • No Smoking Zone
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 08:56:36 am »
Robert whistled in success. His machine was finished. All he had to do is turn it on...
  "Yes!"
He leaped from his seat as the robot emanated a low scraping noise and sputtered to life. It moved clumsily around the room, as Robert moved towards his door to leave work for the day.
:O
Also, Gunner is one of the children.
It's true.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 09:35:30 am »
A young man in a sharp but boring suit and dependably fashionable thick-rimmed spectacles jumped up from a bench in the NU lobby, where he had been killing time before the return of his boss. Flicking off his newsgram and tucking the projector into his jacket pocket he picked up his briefcase and a few stacks of papers and binders and trotted over to Whetstone as he entered.
"Sir..." George began "Could I have a moment of your time in private sir? Only I was going over the files on the Wager contract and decided to spread the net a little wider and I found some things that might interest you. Oh, great speech by the way sir"
He continued to breathlessly walk slightly behind Whetstone as his boss headed for the elevator to the top.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 09:49:02 am »
"Thanks, I thought it went well." Whetstone said, turning to another person who was walking by "Send that news crew up to my office."

Whetstone stood silently until the elevator doors closed.

"What did you find, Swayz." he asked "Hopefully you can fill me in before we reach the top."

Offline emmet

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2008, 10:21:49 am »
Amy was sitting at a small glass table, organizing notes. "The" Michael Whetstones office was as she had expected - showy. Lots of plants and glass. Rocky was leaning against a large window, his eyes were vacant; his mind in cyberspace.

She wanted to keep this interview as short as possible, so she prepared the most basic questions that would cover the most ground.

What would you say to claims that your computer has been far over budgeted?

Hopefully he wouldn't wonder where this "claim" was coming from.

What do you see in the future of ARN?

Have you ever considered becoming Augmented yourself?

Do you honestly believe this is the action that will end the war?

Of course, none of this was really necessary. This interview wouldn't change anyones opinion of Mr Whetstone or GNN. It was all for the ratings.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2008, 10:47:46 am »
"Well, um, first off I looked at the W-TRAF account" began George "and I noticed that almost half the money we put in the project is unaccounted for, some of it I can trace to various side projects we've been running in related fields, but the bulk seems to have been funneled into a series of bank accounts I managed to trace to the Palm Islands and Tibago."

He decided not to voice his views on the actual project. Why did augs need their own weather and traffic reports anyway? Its not like they experienced the weather any differently, and they were allowed on public highways and skyways along with everyone else.

"That sort of got me curious, and I did some more digging, and I found out half the funds on the AUGLIFE project had been misappropriated and scattered through a series of departments which, according to the NUnet don't actually exist, or were dissolved years ago."
George glanced at the elevator buttons lighting up in succession, he'd have to wrap it up quickly.

"Well, suffice to say all of the Augnet projects have more holes than a Helevtican cheese." He took a deep breath "Sir, I'm afraid our organisation seems to be riddled with corruption, going all the way up to the highest levels... it would cost quadrillions to have everyone investigated, but I don't think we have any other option if we don't want the whole NU to rot away from the inside..."

The elevator let out a gentle tone and the doors swooshed open.
"So thats about the face of it sir... I need more time to investigate, but I think I'm getting close to finding the common factor in all these irregularities."
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Kenotai

• Krull Slayer
  • Wint firinoint vai.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2008, 11:41:19 am »
Vangelis closed up shop for the rest of the afternoon, no one was as interested in robotic parts anymore these days.  He enjoyed walking from the suburbs to the city center, watching the scene change from a house here and there to sprawling towers that could have been made by the ancient architect "Frank Gehry".  The twists and turns of the different buildings almost looked like it was out of a dream.  Lost in these thoughts, his feet were taking him his usual route home in the city center.  He lived in a small apartment building, called "The Mushroom", a fitting name, it was one thin elevator tower that rose above the neighboring buildings, then flared out at the top.  He resided in one of the rooms that overlooked the road.  Turning on his Wall Player, he rewound the broadcasts back to the speech he saw in his shop.  Since the screen was much larger he was able to make out who it was.  It was Micheal Whetstone, representative in the Planetary Senate, and he was talking about new resources for Augs.

"Good," he aid aloud, "the Augs do all of our dirty work, they deserve more respect than they get."  Clapping twice to turn off the Wall Player, he decided to have a personal celebration of the end of the "Dark Days of Oppression" as Whetstone put it.  And so he decided to go to his favorite restaurant on the other side of the city.

And so he went back down to begin his trek through his most favorite of cities...
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 08:37:47 am by Kenotai »
Visit, Vote, Vykusi - New Poll 9/01/08

Quote from: Little
I, for a fact, quite like Keno[tai]. He's my favorite.

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2008, 12:03:54 pm »
LOVE-1 stood outside, blinking in the sunlight.  He thought about staring into the sun for a few minutes, but decided not to, unless someone ordered him to, of course.

He walked down the steps of the infamously named "Freedom" compound, where he had lived for most of his life.  A wrecking drone stood nearby, and many other Augs were emerging from the depths of the building.  Some were malfunctioning.  Some were innocent.  And a few select ones were genuine criminals.  But LOVE didn't know anything about that.  He just knew that if he didn't get something to drink soon, he would be incapable of serving his masters, whoever they may be.

He sauntered down the street, past the "condemned" sign upon the Freedom Compound's pavillion, and entered the nearest bar.

He examined the many bottles and cases, and sat down upon the nearest available seat, violating many people's personal spaces, and generally breaking the unspoken rule of a chair between each patron.

"I'm thirsty" he explained to the derelict man sitting beside him...
* Plank of Wood slaps

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF MAN. THE REVIEWS DO NOT EFFECT ANYTHING EVER.

QFT