Author Topic: 2008 US Presidential Election-Official Discussion  (Read 334033 times)

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 US Presidential Election-Official Discussion
« Reply #285 on: January 18, 2008, 06:09:00 pm »
Just wondering, am I allowed to state my opposing opinion or will you get upset?

Ah, what the hell. I'll do it anyway.

Huckabee sticks to his views unswayed and thats something i have high respect for.
I'll admit that sometimes it is seen as admirable for a person to not change their convictions in a storm of contradictory evidence. But it shouldn't be. Sure, you're right about Huckabee being 'unswayed,' so to speak. After all, he isn't shaken by evidence against creationism. But is that a good thing? It seems like people think its conventional wisdom that rigidity is good. Again, it shouldn't be. Flexibility in a candidate reveals to me that they are constantly challenging their own notions in light of new evidence. It means that they are ready for a change in circumstances. Besides, you can't compromise if you can't bend back sometimes. As I said before, that's why I support Obama. Not only are we nearly 100% in agreement on the issues (turns out he really doesn't like the Patriot Act, he reluctantly voted in a slight improvement, saying more needed to be done), but I see compromise as the best way to run politics. It shouldn't be about bashing your opponent's head in with a cane (a la that one senator in the antebellum era), but about finding the perfect middle ground.

I think you misunderstood what i meant. I really was not referring to creationism. But his other views and what i mean is its not as if he would never change his mind on something given evidence or if he was proved wrong. What i mean is in this presidential race he does not sway to fit peoples opinions merely to win. He sticks by his views ill try to grab a video to demonstrate this.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9sA5FQfE1E" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9sA5FQfE1E</a>

I honestly think Ron paul made a huge mistake with these words. *Were losing elections and were going down next year if we don't change it* That to me says he is more concerned about his popularity with the people then doing what is right. Though what is right is debatable. Huckabee sticks to his views however. If huck gets in you know what to expect from him as his opinions don't change with the wind.

I would never be upset by someone giving an opposing views. There have been many in here before i ever posted that never upset me. The only one that burnt me a bit was calling Huckabee a whack job and thats when i spoke up.

I enjoy friendly discussions  :D

Offline Hammerman58

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Thor carrier of the mightiest hammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: January 18, 2008, 06:23:48 pm »
What he is saying is not a mistake. Hes stating that people dont like how the republicans have run the country into the ground. He knows that they have to change their message and do something different. I think that how u interpreted the statement is a mistake. There is nothing in that quote that says hes more concerned about his popularity.
STOP HAMMERTIME 
PSN Names YaY I got a thread stickied.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: January 18, 2008, 06:31:03 pm »
YouTube Vid

I agree with Huckbee. USA broke it and not they have to fix it. I also agree that is was the conservatives that push this war. But a Nation have to stand by its past wrong. So to leave Iraq because people have become fed up the of the war is not right. Especially not for the Iraqi people. The people should have stopped is before the war started then.

though i can admit that i do not know USA politics 100% but last i liked it was a Democracy and as such the people can stop wars like this. Or at least they have in the past. to enter in to the war of World War 2 was slow down due to public option against going to war. Had the public been for the war then USA would most likely have join in when UK and France declared war when Germany invaded Poland.     

To bad one can not just send only the conservatives that push this war sons and daughter Iraq :P
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: January 18, 2008, 06:36:25 pm »
What he is saying is not a mistake. Hes stating that people dont like how the republicans have run the country into the ground. He knows that they have to change their message and do something different. I think that how u interpreted the statement is a mistake. There is nothing in that quote that says hes more concerned about his popularity.

Perhaps i should have said the republican popularity and not his own actually...

Regardless his exact words were *Were losing elections and were going down next year if we don't change it*
It looks like regardless of how he feels on the situation he will do whatever it looks like people want to win the election. Now he might actually feel that way but i think he should of at least worded it diffrently anyway. Even so its merely how i interpreted it and i could be wrong. :-\

Wording is very important in these things however.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 06:39:45 pm by Gorman Conall »

Offline Hammerman58

• Q*Bert Qrazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: January 18, 2008, 06:42:54 pm »
Btw Huckabee is wrong. Its us being there thats breaking it. You cant fix something we broke with more lives and money. Of course insurgency will be high there. Its going to be high because we are their. We are an invading force and they dont want us there.
STOP HAMMERTIME 

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: January 18, 2008, 06:48:42 pm »
Btw Huckabee is wrong. Its us being there thats breaking it. You cant fix something we broke with more lives and money. Of course insurgency will be high there. Its going to be high because we are their. We are an invading force and they dont want us there.

Who says they don't want us there? The media?. I have heard plenty from both sides. I have heard of them cheering when our solders pass by and such. It also was not us that pulled down saddams statue. It was the Iraqi civilians. Some solders have internet access and i have talked to some playing an rts game or two.

If you mean the terrorists well yeah they don't want us there. But thats even more reason to stay.

Iraq was broke long before we got there. We went there and broke it more but yet we did fix some things. But last time i had to fix 2 legs on my chair i didn't just fix one. If i had the chair would of broke the moment it was used.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: January 18, 2008, 06:58:39 pm »

Well that is what he said pretty much. Iraq broke because USA invaded it. The question is how to fix it.
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons

Offline Hammerman58

• Q*Bert Qrazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: January 18, 2008, 07:00:38 pm »
The US should not be acting like world police. The Insurgents because the last time i checked they are attacking a military and thus not terrorist. Of course its a majority of the civilians like us but our presence only drives the insurgents reasons for doing what they do.
Hes wrong because of how he wants to fix it. He wants to add more troops and that shouldnt be the way to make something peaceful.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 07:03:28 pm by killerboy85 »
STOP HAMMERTIME 

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: January 18, 2008, 07:09:19 pm »
Well i agree that US should not play world police. But US should try to find a way to fix the problems in Iraqi. And hopefully with as much help as it can get around the world this time. USA probably must recognize that the reason they went in was wrong and that want help cleaning up the mess. Not for USA sake but for Iraq sake. I am not sure USA would swallow is pride like that. I am not sure what haves to be done to fix Iraq. Sending in more solders is most likely not the solution.
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: January 18, 2008, 07:14:27 pm »
The US should not be acting like world police. The Insurgents because the last time i checked they are attacking a military and thus not terrorist. Of course its a majority of the civilians like us but our presence only drives the insurgents reasons for doing what they do.

What should the US act like?. Its a double edged blade for the USA anymore. If we care about anybody else then our selves we get hated on but if don't were a bunch of cold hearted selfish red necks. And no I'm not talking about how other countries view us I'm talking about our own people. Its impossible to please even half of the American population because the other half always disagrees.

But to me its not about being the world police its about doing the right thing.

An insurgent is a rebel against established leadership. While they may not have the terrorist term they mostly certainly act like them. I would consider anybody whom does such under handed acts such as car bombs a terrorist.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: January 18, 2008, 07:16:28 pm »
One mans Terrorists is the other mans Freedom Fighter.
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons

Offline Hammerman58

• Q*Bert Qrazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: January 18, 2008, 07:21:35 pm »
I am in no such way calling them freedom fighters if thats what you are insinuating.
STOP HAMMERTIME 

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: January 18, 2008, 07:22:51 pm »

Fair enough but the insurgents aren't really fighting for freedom or a noble cause. The civilians are happy and are establishing a democratic government in iraq. So what are they really fighting for

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #298 on: January 18, 2008, 07:28:16 pm »
Ignorance.

They're fighting because they believe it is the will of god, and that the American imperialists are trying to take over their culture.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: January 19, 2008, 12:09:13 am »
Like Brandonazz says. They do not fight because there EVIL! They fight because they believe in fighting. True evil would not sacrifice it self to a course if you ask me.

Disclaimer: I in no way support terrorism or the Iraqi uprising.
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons