Author Topic: 2008 US Presidential Election-Official Discussion  (Read 335151 times)

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
2008 US Presidential Election-Official Discussion
« on: June 04, 2007, 05:50:34 pm »
Hard to believe it's already time to elect a new president, isn't it?

Here's the place to share your views, opinions, outlooks, etc. and to converge with other forum-goers about the upcoming 2008 US Presidential Election. I hope we are able to get a nice dialogue going.

Also feel free to post any news or updates pertaining to the election or to any of the candidates' campaigns.

Please keep all discussion civil and thoughtful. :)

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: 2008 US Presidential Election-Official Discussion
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 05:55:12 pm »
I will share my view.

The Republicans can not lose because the American people will not elect a woman or a black man in 2008, try again in 2012.

I'll check back in a year when the topic is pertinent to see if I am right.

*leaves*

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 06:03:54 pm »
See you in a few months, Patman.

If you ask me, it's far too early to start the campaigns, since the election isn't until November 2008, and primaries don't start until January.  But this is the first election in decades where an incumbent president or vp isn't running, so the field is wide open.  There are 8 democrats and 10 republicans in the race so far, and several big names are still rumored to enter the race.  The best thing to me about these early stages of the race is to hear outlandish statements from people who don't stand a chance of getting their party's nomination, such as Dennis Kucinich(D) or Ron Paul(R).

Oh yeah, and this might be helpful. A list of the candidates, including 3 who aren't acutally running (yet).
http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/candidates/
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 06:06:38 pm by Inkling »
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 06:11:10 pm »
I will share my view.

The Republicans can not lose because the American people will not elect a woman or a black man in 2008, try again in 2012.

I'll check back in a year when the topic is pertinent to see if I am right.

*leaves*

What would have happened if Condoleeza Rice, a black woman Republican ran for president? Would not Republicans vote for her?

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 06:24:47 pm »
It would be a very interesting race if it was Hillary v Rice.  But I think Patman is right, more old Republicans and Democrats need to die off before a woman or a minority stands a real chance of becoming president.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 08:49:24 pm »
*chanting*

Mitt Romney!

MITT ROMNEY!

MITT ROMNEY!!!

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 08:59:08 pm »
Eh, Romney seems a bit too slick to me.
And he's probably a bit too Mormon for the Repubican base.

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 10:06:17 pm »
Well even as a mormon he probably has a better chance of getting elected than a woman or african, if he manages to win the Republican primaries.

Offline HanianKnight

• Choplifter Captain
  • He's Probably a Good Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007, 11:09:02 pm »
Actually, Mormons are pretty well distrusted if I remember correctly. And I really don't think the woman or Black thing matters as much as it used too. If anything I don't like the fact that it seems like a gimmick. There are plenty of people I know that would vote for Hilary simply because she's a woman, or Obama because he's black. I don't give a crap what the person looks like as long as they do a good job. With that in mind, I don't really like any of them. Maybe John Edwards or Al Gore if he runs.

As for Mitt Romney, he seems incredibly fake to me. He's pro-choice, then suddenly pro-life when it would help him. He just seems like a conman trying to act like Ronald Reagan. He doesn't seem to have any real plans for the war in Iraq and he just uses crowd pleasing sound bites to run his campaign on. For that matter, Im tired of Rudy Giuliani constantly mentioning 9/11. We get it, you were the mayor of New York when it happened. How does that suddenly make you qualified to run an entire country?
By the time you finish reading this signature, I've gotten into your house, stolen your t.v., and re-decorated the place so that it fits with your hipster lifestyle.

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2007, 11:48:09 pm »
Well as long as Romney stays Pro-Life, I'm ok with him. Even if he is getting by because he's molding himself to make people like him, what's so wrong with that? Americans have lost confidence in their leadership and need someone that they can again look up to.

Offline HanianKnight

• Choplifter Captain
  • He's Probably a Good Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2007, 12:19:34 am »
If being pro-life is the only reason for liking him, then I suggest voting for essentially any other republican candidate. Almost all of them are pro-life. I would also suggest picking a candidate based on more than one social issue that will never actually be dealt with. Its like politicians who run on being anti-gay. They wont actually do anything to ban gay marriage, they just use it to get votes.
By the time you finish reading this signature, I've gotten into your house, stolen your t.v., and re-decorated the place so that it fits with your hipster lifestyle.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2007, 01:12:51 am »
Heres the thing: The same people that wouldn't vote for a black man or a woman probably wouldn't vote for a democrat on principal anyway. Since democrats have won in  the past there must be a decent enough base of voters, all they need to do is galvanise all the liberals in their favour (which is hard because old people are conservative and vote in droves whereas young people are usually liberal and are usually too lazy) and they should win.

Well as long as Romney stays Pro-Life, I'm ok with him. Even if he is getting by because he's molding himself to make people like him, what's so wrong with that? Americans have lost confidence in their leadership and need someone that they can again look up to.

Because apparently caring about practically inanimate specks makes you primo president material... seriously, shouldn't you people be voting on the basis of something *important*?

If Hillary came out in vocal opposition to the extermination of termites would you vote for her instead? You'd be 'saving' more 'lives' that way.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 01:15:23 am by Krakow Sam »
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline SBD

• Duck Hunter
  • It stands for Ship-Borne Dive bomber, people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2007, 01:43:25 am »
The only two candidates I know off are Obama and Clinton. I don't want Obama to win cos I just don't like the guy, and I don't want Clinton to win cos she's jumped on the 'gamers kill people' bandwagon.

I like the aussie system better. Instead of having to worry about a dozen candidates, it's just two.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2007, 05:37:07 am »
The election is next November, and you're starting a topic about it now?