Author Topic: Evolution  (Read 11327 times)

Offline The Evil Blob

• Missile Commander
  • "Enchanted creature gets +8/+8 and has Trample"
    • View Profile
Evolution
« on: March 19, 2005, 09:04:46 pm »
I wonder if there will be any evolution through natural selection. This would not be player controlled, so I doubt it but it is possible.

Why do you park on a driveway and drive on a parkway?

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
  • Returned from the grave, now with more immunities!
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2005, 10:18:18 pm »
Probably of the other AI controlled creatures.
-Just like Gaming Steve all of my ideas, suggestions, and comments are merely edjucated guesses. These are based on prior experience and current released info.-

Offline legameboy

• Lunar Lander Leader
  • Meep!
    • View Profile
    • Echonet
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2005, 10:21:04 pm »
The Diablo-esque portion of the game is your true, gritty evolutionary experience. You must survive by being prey and predator. I have no doubt that the AI will do such a thing as that, but on a more simplistic level. Your civilization might even have to keep an eye out for threatening new species. Who knows?!

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2005, 10:30:48 pm »
Yeah, you'll always have to make sure your in charge in your galactic neighborhood.
-Just like Gaming Steve all of my ideas, suggestions, and comments are merely edjucated guesses. These are based on prior experience and current released info.-

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2005, 04:55:41 pm »
What I want to know is if they computer will reflect your choices. Look at earth, more than a few animals here are quadripeds, even the bipeds were clearly once quadripeds. So, if I build a creature with three legs, will the computer seek out player content to populate my world with that has three legs?

Offline Huasat

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2005, 05:00:26 pm »
Quote from: Behumat
Look at earth, more than a few animals here are quadripeds

Although if you count all of them, I bet you'll find that most are in fact hexapeds (is that a word?). Lots and lots of insects. ;D

On topic...
I think the "Natural Selection" factor is pretty much represented by your own design of the creature. If you find your creature is in a world of large but slow moving predators, it makes sense to design your creature to be small and fast, for example.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2005, 05:02:02 pm by Huasat »

Offline Tarious

• Adventure Ace
  • FINISH HIM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2005, 05:34:33 pm »
What I want to know is if they computer will reflect your choices. Look at earth, more than a few animals here are quadripeds, even the bipeds were clearly once quadripeds. So, if I build a creature with three legs, will the computer seek out player content to populate my world with that has three legs?

Doubt the computer will just seek out only 3 legged species

Spore populates the universe with creatures and cities created by players from all over. There's almost nothing in the world that wasn't at some point created by another player. Wright discovered someone else's civilization, a curious four-legged race who carried tridents and lived in cities with pointed walls and towers. What happened next was entirely up to Wright: he decided to try to communicate with the other species using a bizarre Close Encounters style mini-game. His UFO played music and waited for the aliens to respond.

Will's was 3 legged and those had 4

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2005, 02:18:52 am »
That was a different planet entirely. It'll probably try to keep them a little similar on your own world when you're still running around eating things.

Offline Zoston

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2005, 03:41:11 am »
Personaly I doubt they'd keep the creatures on your world similar, personaly I'd find it boring if all the other creatures on the planet where like my creature, it's variety that makes things fun! Look at the earth, you've got what, a dozen or so primates out of the billions of species? Most large creatures have four limbs yes, but didn't somebody here say that it was a rule in biology that nothing large could survive on over four legs? If you look at the small world, there's no such thing as uniformity, goes from ant to centipede to butterfly and back. Though, wasn't in the presentation itself there a big spider-like creature that hunted Will's? Doesn't that already show that the computer will mix and match all kinds of creatures? ^_^

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2005, 03:43:40 am »
Yeah, true. I just don't think it will stray too far from what is alreayd populating your world. If you have a bunch of mulit-legged oddities, it would just be strange to have a Carebear strolling along. I guess they could add another option to the settings

o Keep downloaded creatures similar

Offline Zoston

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2005, 03:50:30 am »
I did beleive I heard somewhere, and it would make sense, that the computer will catagorize creatures on wacky-ness and the likes. So if you make somewhat fantasy but still relatively normal creatures you won't get large 12-beaked creatures with hands sticking from their backside. I personaly don't mind wacky creatures, but if I'm trying to create something that looks cool I want other cool-looking creatures around, not weird stuff that may be funny, but just doesn't fit with the world I want me creature to be in. ^o^

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2005, 03:53:53 am »
Being able to limit the zaniniess would be nice. I may want to create a crazy Imagination Station creatures world of loonitude and if I do I don't relaly want normal stuff popping in. Vise versa for a normalish world.

Offline Tarious

• Adventure Ace
  • FINISH HIM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2005, 09:52:20 am »
Well, you can't have to many creatures on your screen at once interacting. That'd fry any video card in an instant.

That's why almost all Real time stragey games have a population limit.

Offline SABscope

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2005, 11:26:07 am »
The problem isn't with the graphics card. If you made a fairly normal race, say gorrillas or something, dogs, but with a fantasy twist, you probably don't want the computer to select a race of spider-things, with 13 legs, 5 of which come out of it's head, and more sprouting out of the bottom of of the origonal legs. Although, as I suspect many people will say they don't mind, mabye not first time round, but another time you may want the world to be like this. I supose it's tough if it isn't, but they really have to come up with an ordering system for looks, if only for the walking penises wondering around a 10-year-old's game. Anyhow, that's another thread.

Offline happydan20

• Venture Conqueror
  • Discovered the "everything syndrome."
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2005, 02:28:54 pm »
I see a problem in all this thinking.  We are relying on the servers ability to categorize...  I know will wright said it would but...
Just makes me wonder how you can categorize objects that players make to such a degree and THEN download then to like games...
I'm sure theres a way but also 1k of data only per creature at some point there has to be a limit to what can be recorded about the creature, even in text form.
I survived the flood of 2008 and all I got was this crappy homelessness.