Author Topic: Awesome Screenshots: Lets see them! [NO SPOILERS!]  (Read 168017 times)

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Awesome Screenshots: Lets see them! [NO SPOILERS!]
« Reply #675 on: March 10, 2009, 12:15:31 pm »
Looks like omegatripod and I aren't the only WotW fans here. Of course, omegatripod's such a fan his name is based on it and he has the Jeff Wayne computer game(which is actually really good).

You bet your sweet ass you're not the only one! I've ban a fan for almost all my life, and i'll be seeing Jeff's Wotw in june!

Are you kidding?!  WotW is one of my most favorite science fiction works.

I actually tried to create an almost DnD-esque game around it, but no one I knew wanted to play it.  Apparently, they hadn't read the book  >:(
* Plank of Wood slaps

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF MAN. THE REVIEWS DO NOT EFFECT ANYTHING EVER.

QFT

Offline Xenomorph

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: March 10, 2009, 12:23:02 pm »
Looks like omegatripod and I aren't the only WotW fans here. Of course, omegatripod's such a fan his name is based on it and he has the Jeff Wayne computer game(which is actually really good).

You bet your sweet ass you're not the only one! I've ban a fan for almost all my life, and i'll be seeing Jeff's Wotw in june!

Are you kidding?!  WotW is one of my most favorite science fiction works.

I actually tried to create an almost DnD-esque game around it, but no one I knew wanted to play it.  Apparently, they hadn't read the book  >:(

Lets search for more fans and restart that RP! :D
"Apply layers to Reality
Things only you can see
Add a beat to Normality
To tap the core of Insanity"

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: March 10, 2009, 12:26:03 pm »
But how?  Should we make it a forum game?

And should it be played on the side of the Martians, the humans, or the old Martians?
* Plank of Wood slaps

QFT

Offline Xenomorph

• View Profile
« Reply #678 on: March 10, 2009, 12:37:22 pm »
Yeah, i was thinking about a forum game, in some way or another...

But its a really difficult subject to build an RP around it.
"Apply layers to Reality
Things only you can see
Add a beat to Normality

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: March 10, 2009, 12:43:31 pm »
That is if you exclude the Vernion backstory.

The subject is actually quite well thought out.  You can create excitement also through the interaction between humans after the takeover.  The protection of a village against the martians would require the building of traps, and a way to combat the black smoke.  From the martian perspective, there is the conflict between the martians back home, and perhaps even against their original food source.
* Plank of Wood slaps

QFT

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
  • Quotes sigged: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: March 10, 2009, 04:23:35 pm »
How about we combine the works of H. G. Wells and other authors like in Scarlet Traces? Think about it! The Martian Overlords would be fighting against the Green Martians from Edgar Rice Burroughs' Barsoom series and the sorns, hrossa and pfiltriggi from C.S. Lewis' Out of the Silent Planet, where they would be slowly losing the war, thus creating another need for invading Earth: Establishing an outpost on a better planet to outnumber the enemy! Then the Earth-Mars conflict would be moved to the Moon, where Selenites from H. G. Wells' The First Men in the Moon would join the war! And maybe there could be Venusians, too! They would be terrorists! It would be like League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Volume 2, only way better! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE!

Geez, we'd better move this conversation to a new topic.
I came, I saw, I went back to bed.

Offline IamMe

• Gorf Goon
  • +200 Points!
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: March 10, 2009, 05:50:30 pm »
It's like we're all deathly afraid of hype around here. :P

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: March 10, 2009, 06:00:10 pm »
Wow, people are getting way to hyped over this. Then people will think the game just sucked when really they expected too much, and i will be content with what i got laughing at the poor over hyping fools.
Hell, Skyward Descent is pure win!
Quote from: Captain
I kill you in the name of DELICIOUS!

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: March 10, 2009, 07:43:25 pm »
How about we combine the works of H. G. Wells and other authors like in Scarlet Traces? Think about it! The Martian Overlords would be fighting against the Green Martians from Edgar Rice Burroughs' Barsoom series and the sorns, hrossa and pfiltriggi from C.S. Lewis' Out of the Silent Planet, where they would be slowly losing the war, thus creating another need for invading Earth: Establishing an outpost on a better planet to outnumber the enemy! Then the Earth-Mars conflict would be moved to the Moon, where Selenites from H. G. Wells' The First Men in the Moon would join the war! And maybe there could be Venusians, too! They would be terrorists! It would be like League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Volume 2, only way better! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE!

Geez, we'd better move this conversation to a new topic.

The slight problem being that, although most of those books (I haven't read all of them) are probably stunning examples of science fiction, it expands the amount of backstory that one must know.  Finding someone who has read Wells is like finding a needle in an incredibly illiterate haystack.

Finding someone who has read all the classic victorian science fiction authors is like finding a piece of hay in a haystack... of needles.

That being said, I am going to read up on my old-school scifi  8)

EDIT:  yeah, we should make a new topic elsewhere
* Plank of Wood slaps

QFT

Offline Xenomorph

• View Profile
« Reply #684 on: March 11, 2009, 12:04:50 am »

Seconded. I'm going to the library this afternoon. And thats the last thing I'll say offtopic here.
"Apply layers to Reality
Things only you can see
Add a beat to Normality

Offline Null

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: March 11, 2009, 12:12:49 pm »

I am currently in the old "foundation trilogy" and I gotta say some works are just timeless. Oh, this topic was limping and barely alive anyways.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 12:16:04 pm by Null »

Offline Snork

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Do I care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: March 12, 2009, 12:26:12 pm »
I'm for renaming this thread to the "General WOTW and H.g wells discussion"..
Quote from: Orc Creation Story.
Stop rolling like pigs amongst the faeces and get out of the way of my sunlight, you stupid f***ers.
Jawless women and their fine, fine feet

Offline omegatripod

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Now a brony.
    • View Profile
    • Ask Joe Hoofer
« Reply #687 on: March 13, 2009, 11:33:32 am »
I'm for actually making a new thread titled "General WOTW and H.G. Wells discussion".

Offline RR_Raptor65

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: April 10, 2009, 04:07:54 pm »
It's been awhile since I've played Spore long enough to take decent pictures.  I've been messing with SporeMaster, trying to get the game the way I want it.  Last thing to do is make creatures less friendly to other species poking around their nests, seems possible because ever since I've installed BetterSpore I haven't seen one angry red icon.

"Wild Planet" A pair of Scaliegaux dart across an open plain to reach a forest on the other side.  This species preferres the safety of the forest to escape large flying predators.

"Future Horizons" A lone Scaliegaux walks along a beach dune at night while a ringed gas giant rises in the night sky.

"Dawn Killers" Several Scaliegaux run through a forest in pursuit of prey in the early morning.

"Silent Pool" A pair of Angutan eat fruit floating in a small pool in a forest.

Offline Vetro

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Behold Life.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: April 10, 2009, 05:36:48 pm »
Awesome images, you've done an excellent job in making the creatures look lifelike in their movements. I like how the third image shows the Angutan feeding, it looks like the forward limbs are holding onto the fruit.
"The Finest ship in my estimation that has ever been built or ever will be"- Captain Bertram Hayes, RMS Olympic