Author Topic: Procedural Diplomacy  (Read 2760 times)

Offline Caltrop

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
Procedural Diplomacy
« on: February 21, 2007, 05:17:49 pm »
It seems to me that the general consensus on this board is that we do NOT want simplistic diplomacy. We want options to customize and create our own stories... and being restricted to basic choices such as 'trade resources' really limits that. I don't know if this is a viable idea, but hear me out:

In the venerable GDC 2005 Demo, we got a glimpse into the procedural actions we are capable of in the game. Grab + Move = Drag. What if that concept was carried over into diplomacy? For example, if I combined 'Tribute 2,000 Iron/Year' and 'Planet Xuno'... perhaps that causes a result of 'My empire gets exclusive mining priveleges on Xuno for X years' or somthing like that. Of course, standard, non-combinable options like 'Peace' and 'War' should exist... but I think that having the capability to combine diplomatic ideas would infinately expand the amount of actions one could perform in diplomacy.

Thoughts?

Spore RPG: http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=2069.0

STRAWBERRYCLOCK IS KING OF THE PORTAL

Offline uj

• Phoenix Fighter
  • Let's roll!
    • View Profile
Re: Procedural Diplomacy
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 07:27:38 pm »
If its not already in the game then its a good idea for an expansion. I wouldn't want them to delay the game to code this in. Also remember that it has to be simple enough to be fun. If it gets to technical or micromanegy((c) 2007) then it will turn people off.
My predictions for Spore.

1) No water creatures at initial release. I was right about this even when the fanboys were denying it.
2) No composite limbs at initial release. eg. Buttface; attaching a limb to a limb to... Update: Prediction was incorrect. Buttface is in!
3) Spore will outsell the Sims and be the best selling game of all time until something better comes along.

Offline thorjarle

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
  • Between the lines
    • View Profile
    • thorjarle.com - mellom linjene
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 09:48:16 pm »
I dont think that the genius grab + move = drag is still in the game. When the willosaurus ate in the 2005 video the dead meat moved realistically. Now the meat stays bolted to the ground.

I hope that diplomacy is more than just "trade goods" or "play music".

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 10:04:13 pm »
Everything's better with Procedural before it! Even 'before'!

:D

Offline Fatalfist

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 10:43:51 pm »
how will cultural differ from diplomic?

Offline Caltrop

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 09:26:56 pm »
I dont think that the genius grab + move = drag is still in the game. When the willosaurus ate in the 2005 video the dead meat moved realistically. Now the meat stays bolted to the ground.

I beg to differ. It is certainly still in the game. Procedural animation is the essence of Spore! They'd have no reason to remove it.

And besides, what video have you seen of a recent Spore build in which meat 'stays bolted to the ground'?
Spore RPG: http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=2069.0

STRAWBERRYCLOCK IS KING OF THE PORTAL

Offline The_Kev

• Joust Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Fear Productions
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 10:47:10 pm »
I can't remember a video where meat stays bolted to the ground :-\
I think it will stay 'move realistically'
"When my strength is your weakness, I'll become fearless." - Fear

Proud owner of:

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 01:39:53 pm »
how will cultural differ from diplomic?

culture is how your buildings look and how your species bahves rather than diplomacy.
Never mind your own business.