Author Topic: The Int'al'ra  (Read 5094 times)

Offline Stern23

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
The Int'al'ra
« on: July 06, 2006, 09:40:37 pm »
Hey guys. I've been following Spore for about a year now, but I just found these forums. I've been reading through them the past few days and was inspired to create my own creature. This will likely bee my main race in the game. I'm pretty sure from a lot of the videos I've watched that the combinations of these parts are available and possible, but I'm not quite sure they'd be able to work in exactly this way. It's fun to imagine though.

Here's what they look like:
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=7/18700385875.jpg&s=f10

And below is the first portion of their story of evolution:

The Int’al’ra – Physiology and Evolution

The Int’al’ra began, as many intelligent races, in the oceans vying against others for dominance. At the beginning stages of their evolution, they had two tentacles to propel themselves through the water. One tentacle had a very sharp spike on the end and the other was used to wrap around and hold prey in place. They also had two small ventral and two large dorsal fins to help direct its passage through the water. Their heads possessed four large eyes and a blunt-nosed, razor-sharp beak. Feeding mostly on plankton, small fish and gastropod, and being larger, faster and much more intelligent than most of the creatures in the region, the Int’al’ra quickly became the dominant creature.

For millennia, the Int’al’ra thrived mostly un-challenged and un-changed. That is, until predators from the land began venturing into the water. Being the larger of the beings in the water, but still smaller than the intruders, the Int’al’ra became the primary prey. After centuries of enduring this, the Int’al’ra moved out to deeper waters. There, they encountered much larger predators, but were able to outsmart and swim just fast enough to avoid them.

As the uncounted years passed, the Int’al’ra developed more defenses against predators and grew much larger. Some of their new developments include two more grasping tentacles and larger dorsal fins. The biggest development, however, is their hydro-jet organs. They consist of a large intake vent on the top of their chest-cavity. With this they can draw a huge volume of water through, which gets compress while passing through ever-shrinking chambers and forced out two vents on each side of the body. This propels them at very high speeds through the waters of their home. Also, the Int’al’ra used this organ to propel them far into the air to catch birds that prey on fish. Scientists also believe that is why the dorsal fins grew larger. That way, while in the air, they could utilize the dorsal fins to glide short distances. This could allow them to catch prey further off or evade oceanic predators.

As the years moved on, the Int’al’ra continued to evolve to defend against the larger predators. Their large dorsal fins actually evolved into larger wings which allow for limited flight. Also, when the Int’al’ra developed their hydro-jet organs, many found themselves stranded on land for long periods because they jumped too far. These particular Int’al’ra developed lungs and the ability to walk up-right on their tentacles. They also developed a pair of sacs that can be used to hold water so that they can remain on land for long periods or use the water for short vertical bursts using their hydro-jets.

These land-adapted Int’al’ra, with their new organs and high intelligence, began using tools. Since they were relatively new to land, the dominant terrestrial predators attempted to prey upon them. However, they found the Int’al’ra to be difficult prey. Using primitive weapons such as spears and slings, along with their limited ability to fly, natural tail weapon and superior intellect, the Int’al’ra more than survived. As competition for food became more ferocious, individual Int’al’ra began working with others to survive. And, thus, the great Int’al’ra civilization began.

There will be more to come on these guys soon.

Please comment and rate my creatures here-

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Stern23

I'll return the favor.

The Int'al'ra -

http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=5563.0

Offline Genesis

• Elevator Action Operator
  • Greetings.
    • View Profile
Re: The Int'al'ra
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 09:45:21 pm »
I like it! Please continue.   ;)

What will you do?

Offline Smem

• Mystery House Madman
  • British Waffle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 02:44:51 am »
More pictures, more pictures :D
Waffles own you: Dude you hate me ='(
Smem: i hate no one
Waffles own you: what about pigeons :p
Smem: pigeons arn't one they are many

Offline Malt

• Swordquest Superstar
  • Experience Dance Tonight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 08:47:17 am »
Ooh, I like them.
DUDETHISISJUSTWRONGGOLOCKTHISTHREADMALT4MOD

Offline Stern23

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 12:47:44 pm »
Thanks guys. I'm working on some more pictures now. I'm thinking I'm going to do a tribal stage Int'al'ra holding a primitive weapon and wearing some jewelry. Possibly with one of their dwellings in the background.

Also, I've had a few more ideas on their anatomy:

The smaller pair of eyes that are on the upper portion of the Int'al'ra are actually false eyes. The eyes can be made to glow a different hue ranging from yellow, to blue, to green. This was used in their earlier evolutionary stages to lure in fish that fed on small underwater insects that glow the same colors. Now they are used soley in mating rituals to express readiness to a potential mate.

More to come on their later stages of life and anatomy as I think of it.

I'll return the favor.

The Int'al'ra -

Offline Stern23

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 03:02:01 pm »
Here's a picture of a late tribal era Int'al'ra warrior:

http://spore-planet.rpgs.sytes.net/Gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=4155

I just thought of stuff as I drew it and it's a bit rough. I'm not all that great at coloring, so It's done in pencil again. I'll have to get a good set of color pencils and see if I can give it a go.

He is holding a Dal'shar coral spear and dagger in two of his three graspers. In his third he is holding a shield made of the same coral and Vi'enash kelp. The fourth tentacle with his bone-blade is seen edge-on. The armor he is wearing is made from the hide of a very large, shark-like beast that is the Int'al'ra's greatest competitor for food. It is skin-tight much like a wet suit. Also, there are coral studs that work both as armor and fasteners. Over the chest are two coral plates that wrap from the front and around to the back just beneath where the wings connect to the body. These are meant to protect the vital organs in the chest cavity. The hide also has slits that keep it open to allow the Int'al'ra to use it's hydro-jets (I really need to come up with a better name for those organs). While swimming, the shield can be attached to the back of the armor to cover and protect the water/air sacks.

The wings of the Int'al'ra are designed for gliding and limited flight. The leading section of their wings is able to move independently of the rest of the wing. This allows the Int'al'ra to use it like the aileron on an air craft's wings. This, along with their ventral fins, gives them a very high level of control while flying or gliding. The wing on the left is drawn in and shows that the wings can be pulled in to increase the Int'al'ra's hydro-dynamics so they can move more quickly through the water (it can be pulled tight against the body, but I didn't want to cover up the armor that I'm trying to show you). They can also be used as flippers or rudders while swimming.

That's all I have for now. I'm going to work on their dwellings and maybe a break-down of the properties of the different materials used in their clothing, tools and weapons.

I'll return the favor.

The Int'al'ra -

Offline Daan

• Lode Runner
  • Cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 03:25:16 pm »
Really good! Is your species space-faring? If so, then I suggest joining OTHER (check the forums) and sending an ambassador to the Galactic Embassey and Congres :)

Offline Stern23

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2006, 04:10:44 pm »
They will be space-faring eventually, but I need to work up to that point. I seem to be able to think of ideas better if I go in an organized order. I won't likely have a huge amount of ages like, say, the Nauceans, but we'll see. The Int'al'ra won't be nearly as old, but they are very intelligent. I also have ideas for a related race that is very strong, yet not nearly as intelligent.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 01:30:30 pm by Stern23 »

I'll return the favor.

The Int'al'ra -

Offline Aegis

• Phoenix Fighter
  • There is no spork.
    • View Profile
    • Digital Aeon
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2006, 04:42:16 pm »
They will be space-faring eventually, but I need to work up to that point. I seem to be able to think of ideas better if I go in an organized order.
Ditto here, although I've somewhat forgotten working on my Talcea with all the programming I've been doing.
Wait, you're telling me Radiosity isn't the graphical simulation of a nuclear bomb?

The Talcea -
http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=5316.0

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2006, 04:50:01 pm »
You have my endorsement!  :)
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Stern23

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2006, 09:23:14 am »
Here is a bit more on the history of the Int'al'ra. This is turning out to be a bit more of a general guideline of their development than a comprehensive history of it. This portion does, however, go into some detail of the advancements of one of the tribes of Int'al'ra.

As the many centuries flew past, the Int’al’ra (People of the Beautiful World) continued to advance. The various tribes still lived in the water, but many moved up onto land, settling in and around lakes and rivers. Most interactions between tribes were peaceful, but small conflicts, mostly over territory or hunting rights, occurred now and then. There were just too many other predators (some very intelligent, but none actually sentient) threatening the existence of their race, therefore, inter-tribe conflict was rare.

The Int’al’ra began using Dal’shar (Flesh of the Land) coral to create tools and weapons. They also discovered that Vi’enash kelp, which is very fibrous, was best used to make clothing and armor. The hide of their greatest competition for food in the seas, the great Den’anisai (Lord of the Seas), was also used to create armor for use underwater. The hide was very flexible, insulating, and resistant to weapons designed to pierce. It is still used to some extent, but more in fashion than protection.

The tribe known as the Anisai’ra (People of the Seas) seemed to advance at a much greater pace than the land-based tribes. While they did have many predators to compete with in the oceans, the Int’al’ra were much better suited to defend themselves in the seas than on land. One of their greatest achievements was the domestication of the Ban’dal (Flesh Fish). This fish has the ability to produce an enzyme that causes the Dal’shar (and a few other species of coral) to grow at an accelerated pace. The Anisai’ra could direct the Ban’dal to grow the coral into nearly any simple shape they need. They therefore used this method to grow their shelters and even grow more precise and specialized tools.

Along with the domestication of the Ban’dar, the Anisai’ra began growing Vi’enash in farms. They also discovered that by using the slime that the Des’enesh’al (Slow Hard One) snail left behind in their wake, they could harden the Vi’enash kelp. The Anisai’ra would weave the Vi’enash into whatever shape they needed and then would place multiple Des’enesh’al onto it. They would coax the snails to move across the kelp and the enzymes in the snails slime would bond the molecules of the kelp, making it extremely durable (think along the lines of laminated steel). They did not like to take the Des’enesh’al out of their shells and apply the slime to the kelp forcefully because they respect the freedom of living things, so would never kill or abuse another life form for their needs unless directly threatened.

Much more to come along with some pictures (once I draw them  :)). Let me know what you think. Again, thanks for all the kind words, everyone.

I'll return the favor.

The Int'al'ra -