Author Topic: The Chop Shop - Creature Requests, Personal Challenges, and Reimaginings  (Read 1657 times)

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
The General Overview:

I've been toying around with this idea for a few days, and I think it deserves exploring. Basically the "Chop Shop" is a place for members to bounce ideas off of each other and to test each other. Here we can make and accept requests to do certain creatures for people without the Full CC or for people less talented at shaping the CC. We can use this thread to help those who need help with a specific design, or we can use this thread to request people to reimagine some of our own creations and see what they'd of done differently to get a similar creature. Basically, the Chop Shop is Sporepedia Exchange's equivalent to the Creation Corner's The Associated Artists Guild.

The Specifics:

First, and foremost. Sanctioned choppers. We need them. People of particular skill, or just with a lot of time. Or just people who want to help out from time to time. Basically, if you want to help out officially, please submit your name and an example of what you think your best creature and worst creature on. What I mean by "worst", isn't what looks ugly, but something you made that doesn't fit your usual designs or your aesthetic tastes. The reason I include worst, is because it gives people an example of your range and your personal taste of creatures. This prevents people from asking you to do a creature out side your general range of expertise (unless you wish to do make those attempts). The CS also supports underground choppers, in other words Non-Official artists who help on a periodic or one-time basis. Basically, if you want to help, please do.

Creature Requests and Commissions - If you wish to to request a specific style or design of creature (whether to see that person's particular approach or just because you lack the time, skills, or tools to do so) then simply post a request. If you'd like a specific Sanctioned Chopper (when/if we get them) to help you with that request then PM them and await their response. Choppers have the right to refuse requests.

Soundboarding - Soundboarding is basically bouncing ideas between members. This works simply from striking up conversations about what would be doable, or interesting to try with the CC. This is different from a reimagining, or request in that it doesn't explicitly require that you have the Full CC (or even the CC at all) to take part. Simply bouncing around ideas about specific creatures and developing/fleshing out their attributes, appearance, and (on occasion) backgrounds aids in the creative process. This is the, in my opinion, main component of this topic. It allows the multiple people to directly, or indirectly take part in the creative process of others, which is a wonderful thing.

Challenges - Challenges, usually personal challenges, can be set by anyone for anyone (including themselves). This aspect varies from Creature Requests and Reimaginings, because it is not specifically indicated what you want but rather a general concept or idea is given and it is up to the designer to decide how to go about it. This is sort of similar to the Editor Commissions Challenge, except that it's not up to a vote for a winner. It isn't a contest, but rather an exercise in creativity. This differs from soundboarding in that discussion isn't really necessary, and the idea can be as vague as specific as one wants it to be. Everything is open to one's own interpretation, rather than a specific series of ideas exchanged between people.

Reimaginings - Reimaginings are specific requests in which someone requests that a creature they made be reattempted by another but with a twist. The twist can be vague or it can be specific. An example would be the current trend with LadyM's Mallen, in which a variety of sub-species are created by other people. Reimaginings don't have to be as diverse though. For example, one could request that someone try and recreate a creature they made as close as possible, but using different parts or leaving it up to the other person to decide. For reimaginings like this, it is recommended you don't post a downloadable file to the creature you want recreated, but rather a screenshot or movie clip.

The Welcome:

Welcome to the Chop Shop. We've (hopefully) got fun 'n games.

"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
Already made something very similar to this. We don't do contest only.

http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=12591.0

Well, darn it. :-p I thought it was mainly the creature challenge stuff, especially since it never really outlined other than challenges. I went through all that trouble to flesh out rules/descriptions and everything. Oh well.
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley