Will Wright's Spore > Spore: Roleplaying and Story Games

Yup. Another SPORPG.

(1/12) > >>

Stangmar:
Alright, so as you all probably have guessed, this is another SpoRPG thread, though, gratefully, I am a pretty resourceful person, and dedicated to writing. Additionally, for those who will undoubtedly whine about creating (yet) another thread on this game, I'd like to remind you that even if I recycled another creature (Say, the Inceptus?) then I'd -still- have to create another thread to control the poll.

Regardless, here's the basic layout of the whole thing. I'm going to put down a rather length wall of text that you all have to read and then summarily beat me over the head with, and then, after receiving at least 5 votes (Without there being a tie, of course,) and after 4-6 hours, I typically will update, provided that it's not -too- late into the night, so expect updates to be both fast -and- furious, and my thirst for general sci-fi will definately keep things fresh and light.

SO IT BEGINS!

-------------------------------

Our story begins in a rather unconventional solar system. It was a single red dwarf star, and what would ordinarily be a belt of asteroids, except, due to the system being small and easily affected by the whims of the rest of its insignificant galaxy, the asteroids had fused into something resembling a single, massive disc, with its own inner, pocketed ferous, super-heated core, which is often quite turbulent, the mantle and magma often spewing onto the surface, solidifying the ring into a more solid object over the billions of years of geological evolution. It had its own atmosphere, an incredibly thick, wet, and heavy atmosphere that consisted of water, methane, ammonia, and hydrogen, most of it left behind from colliding comets and other phenomena over the eons that passed. The ring, being a whole Earth Continent across, and of course, somehow maintaining its precarious movement around the sun.

This would have been all well and dandy had the massive (in terms of astronomy,) disc not been repeatedly struck by other asteroids, splitting it into oddly shaped planetoids that would orbit the dwarf, each one containing the neccesary ingredients for carbon-based life, but alas, our story deals with the largest of the clumps that eventually fell into a stable orbit around its sun that eventually settled at roughly 116 million kilometers away from the sun, sustaining an atmospheric temperature of roughly 90 degrees during most of the year, and once the solar system had eventually fallen into some semblance of order...a spark of life came on that barren rock in the form of sustaining amino acids...Eventually, small photosynthetic bacteriums lived in pools of water on the rocky surface, and in the small lakes and seas (no oceans here,) on the planet. Other micro-organisms, heterotrophs and simple phage-viruses also took shape.

Fate, as it would seem, should be laid on the cilia of our heroic paramecium, the first eukaryotic micro-organism around that was, of course, immediately sucking at life. Unfortunately, more "primitive" prokaryotes were out-competing our larger, cumbersome eukaryote by means of flagellan propulsion, instead of cilia propulsion, and were managing to gobble up autotrophic bacteriums before our large protozoa even had a chance. So, of course, we come at an evolutionary cross-roads:

A - Diversify diet by developing methods to eat autotrophic bacteria with membranes that the protozoans can't pierce.
B - Ditch the cilia and get -multiple- flagella. Outrace the competition.
C - Evolve super-vacuoles to suck in the competing protozoans, and bring them to us, rather than chase -them- down.
D - Develop a slower metabolism to require less food, and thus, require less competition with the protozoans, and use what food is left behind.

-------

Alright, so that should be an interesting installment, for now. I put this up late so that it could stew on the forums all day while I'm away at school, and immediately after school, so I can put in a second update (hopefully) before the night is through, tomorrow. Much love, guys.

Krakow Sam:
At this point you cant tell how a decision will affect the long term stuff of your creature so i chose C... for the hell of it.

Stangmar:

--- Quote from: Krakow Sam on February 07, 2006, 08:05:41 am ---At this point you cant tell how a decision will affect the long term stuff of your creature so i chose C... for the hell of it.

--- End quote ---

Exactly. Just look at the species that most likely was the first of the Chordata...Pikaia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pikaia ) is supposedly our evolutionary ancestor, and how much of it, in general terms, of course, do you think lasted out to this day?

Detoxicated:
C cuz its funny

Stangmar:
Dang. -9- votes? Didn't think I'd get that much of a response the first time around. Anyways, here's the first update for Tuesday, hopefully I can bang another one out (Though who knows? Maybe I can get a third in if the votes move fast enough.)

----------------

With the advent of developing a form of phagocytosis, our eukaryotic cell begins a major competitor, and the dominant microbe, easily devouring other competing prokaryotic microbes, and allowing our creature to eat just about everything short of massive blue-green algae that have become quite large in population as of late. Of course, a rapid increase in population of our own protozoans forces them to cannibalize for a lack of easily accessible food, as prokaryotes who haven't moved to other areas have simply been eaten up. Rather than simply splitting apart, our cells mutate and develop a form of sexual reproduction, though the arise of that trait is only in a small population, and as that population splits, it easily develops into a number of seperate species, genetically, anyways.

The ecosystem, as it stands, becoming a variety of bacteriums and mostly eukaryotic cells descendent of our original species, an uncountable number of million years ago, is now actually uniquely tuned and balanced to the warm climate of our planet. The most successful of the current generation are those who actually maintain the status quo between competitive eukaryotes, autotrophic and heterotrophic alike. Of course, a serious mutation is about to occur, and destabilize the ecosystem once more...What will lead to the new upheaval?

A - Our cells develop symbiosis with more specialized protozoans as to fuse and mutate into organisms with differentiated cells.
B - Develop more complex and efficient organelles (Ala Mitochondria, lysosomes, etc.)
C - Develop a more effective auto-immune system against predatory viruses.
D - Widen eating pallette for secondary debris (Bacterial and Protozoan waste, viruses, etc,) a form of scavenging.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version