Poll

Syria?

Yes
6 (24%)
No
19 (76%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Politics  (Read 393733 times)

Offline Ameg

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
Re: Politics
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2005, 03:17:23 pm »
on the subject of Israel, I don't think it's our place to protect them. If they want their holy land, they can defend it like the Ottomans did for hundreds of years. You don't see Christians running in, even though it's our holy land as well. It seems to me that a lot of people aren't very good at sharing in Israel.

Alot of my opinion about Israel is based on my religion. After all, Jesus was a Jew and even as a Christian I believe the Jews were the chosen people of God. However religion aside, its in the United States best interest that the Israelies and Muslims get along. If the entire Middle East is in a gigantic war, what happens to oil prices? And as the leading super power of our time, it should be our duty to be peace keepers of world. Spiderman said it best "With great power comes great responsibility". We can't just burrow into our country and let the world be damned.

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2005, 04:29:19 pm »
Well, no, we certainly can't ignore the world, but I think our current mideast policy is far too hostile towards Muslims, at least according to them, and I think that our alliance with Israel is putting us in a bad position in the mideast. The only way I can see of actually solving the mideast problem would involve reconciliation between the big 3 religions, and I don't see that happening any time soon, so I think the US should at least try to be friendly to everybody over there.

Another place we need to start paying attention to is China. They're going to become a very big player in the world market very soon, and there's nothing anybody can do about it. The US needs to make sure they're on our side so we don't get a second cold war started. Luckily, China and the US rely on each other pretty heavily when it comes to trade, so I don't see any wars starting between us in the near future. We still need to watch out, though.

Offline Nuriboy

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2005, 04:41:47 pm »
uggh, this thread is going to be long and arduos.. so many arguments...

-Abortion-  I believe in a woman's right to choose. However, there are still limits to this, and abortion should be always used as a last resort IMO.

-Gay rights - As a gay man myself, I am actually against gay marriage. It offends many religious beliefs and just frankly causes chaos. I am all for a "joining" though, where a gay couple recieves the same rights as a married couple would.

-Religion in government - Meh, this is hard. Evangelism/zionism obviously has an extreme grip when you get to the bottom line. This doesn't work and needs to be stamped out.

-Gun Control - If you stop the media fearmongering, I'm sure average joe wouldn't worry about osama turning up on his doorstep as much as he is convinced of it now. People have a right to protect themselves, but I think guns shouldn't be as easily available as they are now.

-Death Penalty - If the evidence is irrefutable, and the crime is most heinous (IE child rape, mass murder) then.. I guess I'm for it.

-Homeland Security - A total joke. The *TERROR ALERT* colour coded chart needs to ****ing go. The patriot act is probably the worst idea ever. Your "freedom" is an illusion people.

-Middle East - The best way to support our troops is to bring them the hell home. Iraq was unjustifyible and so many of my friend's families have been murdered.. I'd better shut up about this issue as It gets me so freaking angry. The US needs to stop being so sly and fervently supporting Israel.. a two state solution needs to happen. The palestinians need to stop the bombing, and the israelies need to quit being so ****ing land greedy and tear down that apartheid of a wall. My friend's dad is palestinian had his house completely demolished while he was at work, without his knowledge. Some soldiers just came to his house, threw his wife and kids on the street and sent in the bulldozers. How would you guys react to something like that if it happened to you?

-Health Care - should be a system in place similar to the NHS or canada.. for people in poverty.

-Taxes: Rich are getting richer, poor are getting poorer. Not good.

-Stem cell research: So many diseases could be cured by this kind of research, and the US is stubbornly ignoring it. If you can save many lives this way - why not?

hmm, I always thought of myself as a raving liberal, but I guess I'm a bit conservative that I thought.
It could be frankie. It could be very fresh and clean. It could be a balloon.

Offline sgore

• Questron Serf
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2005, 04:51:01 pm »
Overall
I'll be a democrat when i grow up.

Abortion
Pro-choice. Who are we to tell someone who's obviously had enough problems and choices to make whether to have her baby? (why is our gender (male) even part of this debate. we really have no right to tell someone not to or to do something?)

Stem Cell Research
it could save lives.

Gun Control
I'd rather not have a shooting at my school.

Gay Marriage
Though I myself am not Gay, In diffrent religons, there are many diffrent types of marrige. it violates the constitution to only recognize some but not others. Why the supreme court not realized this yet is beyond me.

Religion in Government
Sad as it is, it's hugely there. I understand looking at your religous belifes to help you decide what's right but in politics you don't represent your religon, you represent the people of america. and not all people of america may believe what you believe.

Death Penalty
what right to we have? then again what right did they have in the first place. but still if the whole nation followed eye for eye tooth for tooth we would all be walking around blind and eating through a tube.

Environment
At the moment we've got this as our one liveable planet. let's not screw it up. (and even if we someday find another, we still have no right to screw eigther up.)

Taxes
I think of taxes sort of like charity, hopefully (if they aren't going to porkbarreling or stuff like that.) they're going to public hospitals and public schools and to homeless shelters and parks and all of that stuff. that's what people say they go for...

Education
As much as i hate homework and all that, education is a good thing. and important. Give it more money!

(But honestly, the no child left behind act is just stupid. it takes money from public schools and sends it to private schools. tax-payer money.)

Healthcare
Again, fund it more!

War on "Terror" aka Iraq
"Support our troops!"
well i do support our troops. (how can you not i mean they're risking their lives out there.) But i totally oppose the war. it was started under false pretenses. yes sadam was a threat but not as much as we were led to believe. after 9/11 osama was our top priority. yet more focus was put on sadam. bait and switch. now let's just get our troops home.

war in the middle east
gone on too long. work out a deal. too many people have died.

Video Games and Media in general
I think the rating system put in place is good, but a little too strict. the orignal sims was rated T. the thing is like some cartoonish type thing when you look at it. it got a T rating. as for other meda, same basically.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2005, 02:55:30 pm by sgore »
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline Nuriboy

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2005, 05:02:18 pm »
I'm liking sgore's views the "bestest" so far.  :)
It could be frankie. It could be very fresh and clean. It could be a balloon.

Offline sgore

• Questron Serf
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2005, 05:04:05 pm »
thanks!
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline Ameg

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2005, 06:25:29 pm »

-Gun Control - If you stop the media fearmongering, I'm sure average joe wouldn't worry about osama turning up on his doorstep as much as he is convinced of it now. People have a right to protect themselves, but I think guns shouldn't be as easily available as they are now.

-Homeland Security - A total joke. The *TERROR ALERT* colour coded chart needs to f**king go. The patriot act is probably the worst idea ever. Your "freedom" is an illusion people.

Hmm, we shouldn't worry about being criminalized but we should worry about the CIA, NSA, FBI knocking on our door? I'd much rather have security go through my bag than have Osama sitting next to me on a plane.

Offline ankrit

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2005, 11:45:13 pm »
My views are so mixed that if I were more abitous I would start my own party.

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2005, 08:29:52 am »
the only thing i have to say for gay marriage is its up to the states (as indicated by the constitution) but churches should decide what to do, as marriage is based on church

Offline s0lidmetal

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2005, 12:50:21 pm »
People are such morons.

Offline Ameg

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2005, 01:02:08 pm »
Meaning?.... Try to clarify a bit more when you insult people. You could end up offending a friend.

Offline s0lidmetal

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2005, 01:08:53 pm »
No matter what, people will always base their political views on ther feelings, and not the logical decision.  And I don't mind offending people.

Offline Ameg

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2005, 01:19:17 pm »
No matter what, people will always base their political views on ther feelings, and not the logical decision.

To ignore your feelings and beliefs negates their purpose. If we don't come up with views based on what we know, what we believe in, and what we believe is right and wrong, then they serve no purpose.

And I don't mind offending people.

I've notice. Perhaps if you considered other people's opinions then you would come to see why rather than remaining in the dark on the reasoning behind them.

Also, I found this link that states my feelings on Iraq and terrorism perfectly. It's pretty much exactly what I think, but can't find the words to explain.  http://www.ejectejecteject.com

Offline s0lidmetal

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2005, 04:18:19 am »
Hey if your dog craps on the sidewalk you still have to clean it up.  Yeah your dog did it but your still responsible for it.  We should finish what we started.

Knowledge is opposite of beleif/faith.  I know 2+1 doesn't equal 5.  Even if I beleived in it alot 2+1 will never be 5.  Science doesn't answer everything, but it answers a hell of alot more than the bible.  And we could learn so much more about everything if people would just stop saying 'god did it for a purpose!' and support science.

Offline Ameg

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2005, 06:48:45 am »
But life isn't 2+1, its x+y+z. There are just so many things that we don't know, can't fathom, and have no explanation. Matter has no explanation. Where did it first come from?

If we did everything on knowledge and nothing on our morales and beliefs, then the world would be over-run with criminals. A belief in God, in whats right and wrong and fear of punishment is what makes humans greater than any other animal.