Poll

What should you do?

Continue talking to Nicholas / Wait for the ambulance to slow to escape
Leap out now
Try to hijack the ambulance
Other (Post)

Author Topic: Containment Leak -- A poll game  (Read 24249 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Darth Grievi

  • Gradius Vic Viper
  • *****
  • Posts: 4814
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
Containment Leak -- A poll game
« on: December 07, 2009, 08:40:51 pm »
Inspired by Boswell's recent thread and Snork's ever-awesome Octopus Theory, here comes the tale of Julia Vega.



Day 1

You are walking home from work along your usual route. The sun is setting, and you quicken your pace so you can get home before it gets too dark. You pass the same small park, the same bus stop, the same brick buildings you always do. Just another boring, monotonous day. You hope there will at least be something interesting on the TV once you get home.

As you near your apartment building, you notice three men arguing near the front entrance. You can't make out what they are saying, and can't remember seeing any of them before, though one of them is vaguely familiar, likely a neighbor. As you walk closer, their debate grows more heated, going on about stocks, government, paychecks, research grants, who owes what to whom. You figure it's nothing more than typical workplace squabble, and continue on, not taking notice.

You have your hand on the building's front door when you feel a hand roughly grab you by the back of your shirt. You try to yell out but your mouth is quickly covered with a gloved hand. In a panic, you struggle and try to bite down on the hand, but can't get free. As you are dragged back into the alley beside your building, you can see two of the three arguing men looking shocked. Apparently, the third had grabbed you.

What happened next was a blur. You heard a gun cock near your ear, saw one of the other men pull out one of his own. His hand shook badly from fright, though. There were cries of "Don't do this! Listen to me!" and assurances that they could work this out without violence if he let you go. Your captor yelled in rage and fear, claiming that this was the only way to get his just share. Threats were exchanged, and before long you felt the cold touch of your captor's gun against your head. That was when three shots were fired. You felt a stabbing, burning pain streak across your side. Both you and your captor shouted in pain and surprise. The last thing you can clearly remember was collapsing to the pavement, hitting your head on the concrete, then a fuzzy blur until you awoke in the hospital bed.

Day 2

You learn it's been nearly a day since the shooting. The police are still piecing together the details, but the three men have been apprehended based on witness accounts. You'll probably be called in eventually to confirm their identities. The doctor says that you were only grazed by one of the bullets, and that he was more worried about the minor concussion you received when you hit the pavement. He gives you the standard test, checking your eyes and grip, and finds that you're getting better and should be able to leave by tomorrow.

"Is the burning in my side normal? It also kind of itches," you tell him.
"You should be fine in a few days. Don't scratch at it though, you'll ruin the stitches."

You're satisfied with the answer, but GOD, your side hurts! You hope it will be gone by the time they release you tomorrow.



Thoughts, comments, suggestions? The story sucks? You can see it from a mile away? Just shut up and get to the point?

Updates on weekdays or when the poll hits 5 votes, whichever comes first. when there's a clear majority in the poll. As this is winding back up, I'll take as few as two votes for an option as the winner.



EDIT: Confrimed Abilities:

Parasite
  • Consume Living Organisms
  • Consume Latex
  • Strength (200 lbs)
  • Attack and Grab at range (20 feet)
  • Heal moderate wounds
  • Harden? (Untested)

Julia
  • Basic Parasite Control (Retract and extend tentacles)
  • Consumption Control (Stop consuming and Start consuming)
  • Parasite Manipulation (Grab and lift objects)
  • Increased Speed (Much Faster than Olympic runner)
  • Increased Jumping Ability (Leap over 8 foot wall)
  • Reduced pain reception (Torso, lower body, and arms)
  • Strength (Legs and arms, able to break bones with a kick, arms slightly weaker)
  • Survive fall (at least 5 stories)

EDIT2: Character Pieces
The Source
ALX-NDER
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 12:17:47 pm by Action-adept »



Offline UFO King

  • Dirk the Daring
  • *****
  • Posts: 2042
  • Quotes sigged: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Containment Leak -- A poll game
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 08:43:59 pm »
This looks like a fairly decent game. I kinda like the style.
I came, I saw, I went back to bed.

Offline Rysworld

  • Autoduel Mechanic
  • *****
  • Posts: 4225
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
Re: Containment Leak -- A poll game
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 08:44:43 pm »
Female. Go chivalry.

Also,
This looks like a fairly decent game. I kinda like the style.
Yes.

Offline Kitkat

  • Ultima III Time Lord
  • *****
  • Posts: 2859
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
Re: Containment Leak -- A poll game
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 08:55:24 pm »
Interesting... I just might follow this...
Goddamnit kitkat, you make me look late
Come check out The Bino and The Ni'Calls
(Or don't these are old and embarrasing)

Offline Darth Grievi

  • Gradius Vic Viper
  • *****
  • Posts: 4814
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
Re: Containment Leak -- A poll game
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 08:19:27 am »
Day 3

You are released from the hospital as planned. The doctor gives you the rest of the week off from work to recuperate, and tells you you should probably take it easy for a few days afterward while the wound heals.

"I wouldn't worry about complications, but call us if the area starts to look infected. You've got an appointment two weeks from now to have the stitches removed. Until then, don't do any heavy lifting or any other abdominal exercise, like sit-ups or reaching down to touch your toes. Other than that, you'll be fine, Ms. Vega."

You mention that your side is still burning. He quickly gives the wound another check, then just writes you a prescription for a mild painkiller. He assures you that the area will be pain-free by the end of the week at the latest, but will likely itch for a while longer from the wound healing.

You return home and find it just the same as you left it. You listen to your phone messages, most of them asking where you've been or wishing you well, only returning a few calls, though. You read the newspaper from today, and out of boredom read through the entire thing. You check your clock, only 1 PM. You sigh, not knowing what to do next, when a sharp, sudden pain shoots up your side. You gasp in pain as the feeling radiates down your leg and up to your neck before just as suddenly returning to it's usual background throb...

You're worried about this, but wonder if this is typical of gunshot wounds. This is the first time you've taken a bullet, even if it was a near-miss.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 07:07:16 pm by Darth Grievi »

Offline Cyst

  • Space Harrier
  • *****
  • Posts: 4092
  • V 3 $ T H 3 T I C /// 新鮮な盗まれたアート
    • View Profile
Re: Containment Leak -- A poll game
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 10:23:09 am »
Cool topic. I may watch this.
DEATH TO DAESH! In solidarity with Rojava!
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

The internet is a magical place, where linguistic and dialectic possibilities are endless. Why not embrace those variations and see where they lead you.

Offline TimeMaster

  • Qix Crazy
  • ****
  • Posts: 835
  • Captain, we're eaten by a gluttonous black hole!
    • View Profile
Re: Containment Leak -- A poll game
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 01:32:42 pm »
How about all the people with guns and stuff were female too.  To spice it up.  Also, this is very interesting.
:o Whoa... that was deep.

Offline boswell25

  • Rigel Rescuer
  • ***
  • Posts: 413
  • Punch in snout to establish superiority
    • View Profile
Re: Containment Leak -- A poll game
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 04:38:59 pm »
Thanks for the credit. Since mine is kind of dead, should I spoil the story?

Offline Darth Grievi

  • Gradius Vic Viper
  • *****
  • Posts: 4814
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
Re: Containment Leak -- A poll game
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 04:50:29 pm »
Worried that you might have accidentally torn your stitches loose, you rush into the bathroom to check. Lifting up your shirt, you closely examine your side in the mirror. Though you expect to find blood, things look normal. The area is slightly red, but that is the only thing out of the ordinary. The only things you see are stitches and a thin band of scab where the two edges of the wound meet. Nothing explains your sudden flash of pain.

You are relieved that things appear to be healing normally and take a dose of the painkiller to ward off any future attacks for a few hours. Swallowing the caplet, you also fix yourself a sandwich to prevent the medication from making you nauseous.

Figuring you shouldn't do any traveling with the painkiller making you drowsy, you take your late lunch and sit down to watch TV. While you surf the channels for something worthwhile, you come across your name on the local news channel.

"29 year old Julia Vega was briefly held hostage yesterday evening. Though her captor, Dr. Reginald Parks, suffered multiple gunshot wounds from a heroic witness, Vega escaped the ordeal with only minor injuries and has been released from the hospital. Parks, a member of the local chapter of the International Medical and Genetic Research Union, was reported to have been acting strangely for several days before the incident, and was arguing with his colleague, a Dr. Jason McPherson, when he grabbed Vega as she was entering her apartment building..."

The reporter continued rambling on about what happened yesterday, ending with the fact that Dr. Parks's motives were still unknown. You drifted off into a nap soon afterward. When you wake up, it's nearly 5:30. You heat up some leftovers to eat and try to decide what to do with what little remains of your day.



@boswell: I don't think it's dead. Just because people don't post after an update doesn't mean its dead. I'd say wait a few days before signing the death certificate :)

Offline boswell25

  • Rigel Rescuer
  • ***
  • Posts: 413
  • Punch in snout to establish superiority
    • View Profile
Re: Containment Leak -- A poll game
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 05:00:35 pm »
Yours seems better written then mine, but once again thanks for the credit. I'll Pm you and only you the background if you want it.

Offline Darth Grievi

  • Gradius Vic Viper
  • *****
  • Posts: 4814
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
Re: Containment Leak -- A poll game
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 04:54:16 pm »
@Boswell: I think it just seems that way because I write more   :)



You decide that it's best to get some extra sleep in your condition, and go to bed early tonight. You take another dose of the painkiller before you finally turn in, to ward off any potential trouble, and drift off into a deep sleep...

You half-remember waking up in the middle of the night and stepping onto your apartment's balcony for some fresh night air. You're not sure if you dreamed it or if you were actually out there. It all seems fuzzy and transparent in your mind. If you did get up, you're not sure for how long. It doesn't seem worth worrying about, though. It could have been any number of expected things disrupting your sleep cycle; the medication, a bout of pain, a bad dream about the incident.

Day 4

In the morning, though, there is cause for alarm. As you come up from your dream, you notice that your bed feels damp. Your first thought is sweat, but as you lift the blankets you are met with a massive bloodstain, covering a large portion of the bed. You yelp in suprise and leap out of bed, then notice that your clothes are soaked, too. Taking a few moments to gather your senses, you realize that the bloodstains are centered around your wounded side. You must have bled out in the night. The good news is that you otherwise feel fine, and even the background throb of your side has completely gone...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 07:07:56 pm by Darth Grievi »

Offline TimeMaster

  • Qix Crazy
  • ****
  • Posts: 835
  • Captain, we're eaten by a gluttonous black hole!
    • View Profile
Re: Containment Leak -- A poll game
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 05:14:22 pm »
Get help, Get help.  Tell them you bled a lot in the night but your side feels fine now and tell them you had two (I think) doses of painkiller.
:o Whoa... that was deep.

Offline Guilmon

  • Donkey Kong King
  • *****
  • Posts: 1048
  • Level 40: I got TENTACLES!
    • View Profile
Re: Containment Leak -- A poll game
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 08:17:57 pm »
Dude. Help is just what you need. You're lucky you haven't died of blood loss.... Also, if there was an option for me, it would be "Panic but be calmed as you examine the blood on your bed for a half hour before calling the hospital." X3.
Awesomeness runs strong in the Greivi bloodline.

Offline Darth Grievi

  • Gradius Vic Viper
  • *****
  • Posts: 4814
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
Re: Containment Leak -- A poll game
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2009, 09:06:06 pm »
You decide it's best to get professional help on this. You change your clothes and call the hospital's emergency hotline. After a few minutes of waiting, you manage to get through. Trying to keep calm, you tell the doctor on the other end of the line just what happened, remembering to mention that you'd taken two doses of your prescribed painkiller about 4 hours apart, but that the bottle said that was within limits. She asks you if you feel dizzy or weak at all. You say you feel fine, actually, and even the place where you were shot has stopped throbbing.

"Ms. Vega, I don't want to panic you, but you should come in as soon as possible. Are you able to get transportation?"

You tell her that you can get a friend to pick you up. She makes an appointment to have you looked over, and you end the call. Dialing again, you phone your friend, Tasha, and ask her for a ride to the hospital. She agrees, sounding very concerned, and arrives a few minutes later.

...

Later, at the hospital, you meet with your doctor again. The first thing he does is check your pulse and blood pressure. He breathes a sigh if relief when they come back normal, but is greatly confused. Anyone who bled out as much as you did would have a hard time keeping conscious, much less have perfectly normal blood pressure. He tells you he's keeping you overnight for observation and asks for your blood type in case you bleed again...

About an hour later, you are given a thorough physical to try to determine the problem. You are checked from head to toe, with special attention taken to your side. The doctors are unable to find anything out of the ordinary, and you are released the next day with no concrete answer. At least you didn't bleed again last night...

Offline Snork

  • Ensign Seventh Class
  • *****
  • Posts: 2934
  • Do I care?
    • View Profile
Re: Containment Leak -- A poll game
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 09:08:38 am »
Throw all your shoes out of the window and go barefoot pleaaase.
Go get a second opinion.
Quote from: Orc Creation Story.
Stop rolling like pigs amongst the faeces and get out of the way of my sunlight, you stupid f***ers.
Jawless women and their fine, fine feet