Author Topic: Maybe I'm crazy...  (Read 4816 times)

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
Maybe I'm crazy...
« on: August 03, 2005, 08:52:41 pm »
I don't know, I might be insane. But honestly, I have no idea why I desire video games. They're only a gig or 2 of play pretend material. Don't get me wrong, no offence to video games, I love the little things. But I don't know why! Could someone please try to tell me why?

Also, the search for an answer has just caused me to question it even more. I'M GETTING A HEADACHE NOW! Maybe it's the way I'm thinking about it, but if anyone else feels the same way please let me know. God I'm sick.

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline Areku

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
Re: Maybe I'm crazy...
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 10:17:40 pm »
maybe this should of gone into one of the other forums? Since it has nothing to do with Spore. But yes they ARE addicting little buggers aren't they   :D

Offline Dauntless

• Pac-Man Maniac
  • EA = Electronic A*seholes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 11:01:30 pm »
I dunno...its kinda wierd, but games...just...kick ass... :)
dd/mm/yy

Remember, the Spore will be with you....one day

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Plusi - My SPOREPEDIA Page

Offline Haddeen Sol

• Adventure Ace
  • The proletariat are undeserving of my presence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 11:10:11 pm »
'Tis but the second-ultimate form of electronic entertainment out there. Games are very flexible. Due to this, you can have an electronic story a la P:T, some form of interactive television (Sims, Shooters, etc.), and even a social aspect generated by online play. Because of these factors together, they either make the other things obsolete or enhance them. I hope my post has enlightened you mensch, and delved into the real question here: What is entertainment?

But to expand into how games rock, I make the following case: We could possibly design games that are educational, subtly. When I was much younger, I played a hell of a lot of adventure games, and now, due to the whole damn array of nerve-racking puzzles, I've gained a mentat level of logic along with the need to probe into every possibility and opportunity.

In other words, moden Video Games embody nearly everything we have, compacted into a neat little package, along with the potential for great education and social change.

Those're my three cents. For great justice.
Riot grrrrl!

Offline Granite T. Rock

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Granite's Homepage
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2005, 02:35:16 am »
Games are a ton of fun.  A little bit addictive by nature so anyone should be careful.  Make sure to catch Gaming Steve's podcast on it.  But if you find yourself constantly thinking about games, or find you choose to play games over hanging out with your friends or doing something important, it might be a sign to take a step back for a while.  While I never got that bad, I know I do sometimes spend hours at a time playing.  LIke the sims, I know if I turn it on I'm there for at least 4-5 hours.  I'm finishing up a thesis for a masters program right now and I know I wouldn't have gotten anything done if I didn't declare the last 2 months games free.

What does this have to do with spore?  I'm come hangout on the forums here for 20 minutes a day to get my "games fix".  20 minutes imagination seems to be just as good as 5 hours of the sims.  That said I'm still looking forward to being done school and getting my hands on spore.

EDIT:
here's an article if you want to read more about gaming addicts http://www.jsonline.com/news/State/mar02/31536.asp
« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 02:43:42 am by Granite T. Rock »
My Spore Profile  ****  My Spore Videos
Wii Friend Code: 7772 0178 1092 3363  Mario Kart Code: 2363-6666-4480 (PM me when you add me)

Offline ZerGoth

• Brain Games Mastermind
  • German fanboy ;D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2005, 02:57:58 pm »
Since you consider games like that, you could qualify films only being long sequnecies of images ;)

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2005, 03:51:42 pm »
This is what confuses the hell out of me! I know games are more than play pretend, but I don't know what they are besides play pretend. I know it's something, but I just can't figure it out.

Offline Danzik

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2005, 05:57:47 pm »
The spore forum...it's big in here...

Anyway, honestly, i play games cause reality is more lame than my imagination...

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2005, 06:16:14 pm »
This is what confuses the hell out of me! I know games are more than play pretend, but I don't know what they are besides play pretend. I know it's something, but I just can't figure it out.

It is because whenever you play a game, you put yourself into it. It may be unconscious, but you do it. That means every time something good happens in a game, you feel personally satisfied. The more easily you can relate to a game, the more fun you will have when you do good.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2005, 06:27:29 pm »
That's probably why I like flight games, especially those of the military persuasion. The only thing is that I can't identify with Spore at all. Maybe it's just me, but I've never been the god of a species.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2005, 06:48:21 pm »
You aren't identifying with being a god, your identifying with whatever creature you make. You will put yourself into the creature, even if you don't realize it. Because Spore allows you to pretty much make anything you want, this game would appeal to almost anyone.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2005, 07:18:54 pm »
I think video games are a distraction from reality. It's easy to lose yourself inside a video game world and not have to deal with the real world and the real world problems and stress. It's an escape and a chance to live a fantasy and have some control over what you do.

Offline MetallicDragon

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2005, 07:27:19 pm »
I am convinced that the one and only reason people play video games so much is because they are FUN.

Thee end.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2005, 07:43:31 pm »
Thanks Oviraptor, really answered my question. As a result, this topic will be locked because it's not really important anymore.