Author Topic: The History Channel: Great battles of Rome  (Read 2022 times)

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
The History Channel: Great battles of Rome
« on: June 29, 2007, 10:38:47 am »
http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/thcgreatbattlesofrome/index.html?tag=tabs;summary

do not, under any circumstances compare this to Rome or any other Total war game.

while rome total wra may be user friendly this game is a hell of alot more realistic and the battle control scheme is in my opinion, much much better.

their are 100 battles that were actually fought and are statistically correct, divided among 14 campaigns that roman empire actually undertook and you are the general moving from one battle to the next.

now, because of what i am about to explain, if you lose a battle, you were probably doomed to lose it the second you clicked the start button.

before a battle, you organise your army and give them formations and whatnot, that is where the similiarites to Total war games ends.

the game is alot more realistic now as before the battle starts you give your troops orders such as when the infantry buckles charge the cavelry or make gaps when their cavalry charges then flank them or whatever you can think of.

now the battle starts, once you click the start button your control over your troops becomes very basic and limited, as a real general back then did not have total control over his army due to the lack of communication.

after winning the battle you may further customise your army and you keep going.

finally a game that historically and realistically fully correct!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 10:46:37 am by Brutus »

Never mind your own business.

Offline Gungnir

• Wild Gunman Gangster
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
Re: The History Channel: Great battles of Rome
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 06:37:27 pm »
Yeah...I kinda like user friendly. While this game may be really cool for being realistic, it probably wouldn't appeal to me. It might...but I doubt it. *wonders if there is a demo*

Anyway, the realistic thing is odd...because there's this one customer review on amazon (which is probably inaccurate) that says "....If you are a Total War fan then this game will be dissapointing because of the unrealistic combat and damege systems..."

(for those that want a link to the page with the review, here it is.  http://www.amazon.co.uk/History-Channel-Great-Battles-Rome/dp/B000N86TVI/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/203-7393667-2407943?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1178031611&sr=8-2 )
They're collectible! Sorta...

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 02:21:07 pm »
that person is wrong,  just, plain wrong.

the control system is the most realistic i have ever used, that person obviously doesn't know that during the time of rome the only control a general had over a unit (other than his own) was general commands such as "charge" "stop" or "turn Right" that were communicated to them through musical instruments such as a drum or a horn.

he is comparing it to the total war games.
Never mind your own business.

Offline Brandonazz

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • Everything ends.
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 05:07:35 pm »
that person is wrong,  just, plain wrong.

the control system is the most realistic i have ever used, that person obviously doesn't know that during the time of rome the only control a general had over a unit (other than his own) was general commands such as "charge" "stop" or "turn Right" that were communicated to them through musical instruments such as a drum or a horn.

he is comparing it to the total war games.

What about damage, is that accurate?

Eh, it doesn't matter. That review was probably just some disgruntled guy who couldn't win a battle.  :P

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 05:15:03 am »
This reminds me of the discover channel games they made back in the 90's.