Author Topic: underwater and in the air  (Read 6558 times)

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
underwater and in the air
« on: March 18, 2006, 01:22:00 pm »
i noticed that when the "swimmy guy" is in the sea he never moves vertically up or down only horizontally, so i'm just wondering if you can move up and down and if this rule also applies for flying creature

Never mind your own business.

Offline Kaze

• Adventure Ace
  • Vicious Polar Bear
    • View Profile
    • EČ
Re: underwater and in the air
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 03:33:35 pm »
I think it would be safe to assume you can move on all three axes in both the air and in the water, though I am not certain.

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 04:34:23 pm »
I actually don't think it's safe to assume that.  I'd be willing to bet that you can't move up / down in air or underwater.

werechicken

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 04:36:33 pm »
Will Wright mentioned that he hated invisible barriers that would class as one so up/down movement will probably be only restricted by your creatures abilities

Offline Eclipse

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 05:14:44 pm »
Also remember that video was not really the game, it was a bunch of small segments thrown together with duct tape so it looked like one, Maxis is hardly finished with it now let alone a year ago. He probably had not added the up and down motion at the time, or it was not necessary for his demonstration, in fact, he hardly spent time in the sea at all.

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 08:02:37 pm »
and if you couldn't move vertically how the hell would your creature land?  o.0   you'd be like an albatross... condemned to fly forever

Offline Eclipse

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2006, 09:45:46 pm »
and if you couldn't move vertically how the hell would your creature land?  o.0   you'd be like an albatross... condemned to fly forever

Getting a down burst of air would be murder.

Offline Kaze

• Adventure Ace
  • Vicious Polar Bear
    • View Profile
    • EČ
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2006, 10:33:25 pm »
I actually don't think it's safe to assume that. I'd be willing to bet that you can't move up / down in air or underwater.
Care to provide insight into the formation of this supposition?
Also remember that video was not really the game, it was a bunch of small segments thrown together with duct tape so it looked like one, Maxis is hardly finished with it now let alone a year ago. He probably had not added the up and down motion at the time, or it was not necessary for his demonstration, in fact, he hardly spent time in the sea at all.
We really have no idea how far along the game is, unless you have inside information of some sort. GDC should give us an update on the game's progress, until then we can only venture guesses.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2006, 10:43:43 pm »
I actually don't think it's safe to assume that.  I'd be willing to bet that you can't move up / down in air or underwater.

Why not? Your trying to tell me that a UFO can move all around space but creatures can't move up and down in the water or in the air?!? I mean you could even se the little glowing squid things moving up and down in the water.

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2006, 11:09:41 pm »
given that the game is 3D with full free cameras, and an almost literally infinite zoom, I think there's not even any question as to whether or not things will move vertically.

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2006, 11:31:52 pm »

Why not? Your trying to tell me that a UFO can move all around space but creatures can't move up and down in the water or in the air?!? I mean you could even se the little glowing squid things moving up and down in the water.
Quote from: Samog
You fell for it.
"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm not lying. all your laziness which you mistake for something funney is driving me insane, quit fooling around!  dude this is just wrong, very wrong. reality does not consist of constrained language. go lock this thread malt. I love the payment."4MOD

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2006, 12:46:34 am »

Quote from: Samog
You fell for it.

Samog thats the other post " How will the militant athiests react?" :P Don't bring it here  ::)

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2006, 02:46:53 am »
if you cant move in all 3 dimensions of the axis then i think no-one at all will make air or sea creatures
Never mind your own business.

Offline Tonjevic

• Scramble Skipper
  • Victori Jane Surn
    • View Profile
    • It's my muck-around space.
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2006, 03:28:56 am »
That isn't true. People will make them simply for novelty value, for a cool new challenge to learn the procedure, to make creatures stylistically impossible for a land creature.

-Understated elegance.

Offline Lonemessiah

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2006, 06:11:39 am »
As far as i am aware you will have no choice but to make a sea creature at some point, it is step on your journey to a land based creature.  Although i could be wrong, but it seemed this way in the video.
As usual this is just my opinion which has about as much factual content as the average episode of Red Dwarf.