Author Topic: Have you ever tried standup comedy?  (Read 5566 times)

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
Have you ever tried standup comedy?
« on: January 10, 2008, 12:10:41 pm »
has anyone here ever tried doing stand up comedy themselves?

i recently tried it and it was the most nervous i have ever been, i had been on stage before but always with a script and others on stage never on my own.

but i went up and was quite cynical which was unintentional but all in all i did quite well and i was just wondering if any other people have tried it

Edit:Fixed title
-Dan
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 12:11:42 pm by Danzik »

Never mind your own business.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
Re: Have you ever tried standup comedy?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 12:37:10 pm »
The hardest thing is getting started, all you have to do is start ranting about something, and make it funny, and you're off.
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 12:46:07 pm »
i really did struggle and worry at first but i found that people really did laugh when i approached the subject of notes left around the house by people i live with and things i do to scare my mother.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 12:54:23 pm by Brutus »

Offline Veraal

• Zelda Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 01:39:07 pm »
Well. I always bring some sarcasm and humor in whatever presentation i am doing, for example a school project.

Also, cynical and bastard-like is good.

Offline Ultramarine

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • Whatever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 01:47:33 pm »
Naw.... but it does sound fun to start stand up, hoepfully I won't wind up getting famous and ending things badly *dave chappelle* *cough* XD
Kid: Oh wow I'm being deflowered by a grown woman!
Mother: By the way I'm your mother
Kid: OH GOD NO

EDIT: That's where it becomes rape if you were wondering.

ヽ(`∇)人(∇`)人(`∇)ノ   (゚д゚; )

Offline El_Buro

• Revenging Yar
  • Crusher of spines.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 03:52:46 pm »
Do you have any video of your routine? ;)

It sounds like fun, I might try it sometime in the future.

Offline B.A.S.

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • WAR GSP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 04:59:54 pm »
Im known as the Comedian of my group and my family. I really have wanted too try doing some standup but I dont think my joke would neccesarily be funny as my approach is somewhat like the Dane Cook style. AKA go crazy on stage with your body. Ive been too a Comedy Club once and I think if you can connect with the crowd (Easy for me) then your basically set. People go too Comedy Clubs too laugh, your nervousness and even saying "My god im nervous as hell right now" will make them laugh. They want too have a good time if anything, and im sure you wont get boo'ed because you have lackluster jokes. Infact telling them its your first time doing standup and maybe relating something too sex would probably be a good start ahahah.

Anyway Kudo's too you, I hope you do alot more!
Your Friendly Canadian Fighter :)
"It is defeat that turns bone to flint, gristle to muscle- it is defeat that makes men invincible"- Henry Ward Beecher
Inkling:Durgon only comes by when he is taking a break from beating up people and animals

Offline GamerMommy

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 09:42:52 am »
yes, on a dare once, at an open mike night.  i did fine but did not pursue it because the whole housewife-turned-comedienne thing has been done to death and i DO NOT want to be compared in any way to roseanne barr...   :P

it helped me INCREDIBLY that the guy who went before me totally sucked...talked all about his dog shredding his dirty underpants in the middle of the floor, in a manner that was not funny but uncomfortable and thoroughly disgusting and people barely clapped when he left.  i started by introducing myself and saying, "let me just put you all at ease and establish RIGHT NOW that i will NOT talk to you about dogs, underpants, any of that...in fact, i'm not even WEARING underpants."  they clapped and hooted and hollered and a guy yelled "show us!!!!" and i just turned to him and said "HEY!" gave him my "stern mommy look" while pointing my finger at him.  pause, continue, explaining that you've just seen my "strn mommy look"...so the whole "stern mommy look" thing became both a good tangent and a running joke.  my best advice is, don't be intimidated by hecklers...USE them, and have ideas about what you want to say.  (and if you decide in the end like i did that you have a face for radio, WRITE instead.)

durg, brutus...good for you, very brave. find out when your local comedy club has open mike night, and become a regular.  you'll get good practice, you'll become recognizable, and who knows who will see you there!  good luck and tell us how it goes!!!

...because hitting toons is healthier than hitting kids...

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 09:33:47 am »
i didn't record it, i in no way wanted footage of a potential mess up and public humiliation.

i am going to build up my confidence and actually get a routine going before i record myself.

if i am any good iwill keep at it.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 09:38:32 am »
I have a family member who is doing stand up. He started about 3-4 years ago doing open mic and he got hooked. He's done some paid shows and traveled around but now he's focusing on performing in New York. He also has a degree in film making (directing).

Offline Huckbuck

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 11:27:18 am »
I have a family member who is doing stand up. He started about 3-4 years ago doing open mic and he got hooked. He's done some paid shows and traveled around but now he's focusing on performing in New York. He also has a degree in film making (directing).

Wow thats cool!!! :D

yes, on a dare once, at an open mike night.  i did fine but did not pursue it because the whole housewife-turned-comedienne thing has been done to death and i DO NOT want to be compared in any way to roseanne barr...   :P

it helped me INCREDIBLY that the guy who went before me totally sucked...talked all about his dog shredding his dirty underpants in the middle of the floor, in a manner that was not funny but uncomfortable and thoroughly disgusting and people barely clapped when he left.  i started by introducing myself and saying, "let me just put you all at ease and establish RIGHT NOW that i will NOT talk to you about dogs, underpants, any of that...in fact, i'm not even WEARING underpants."  they clapped and hooted and hollered and a guy yelled "show us!!!!" and i just turned to him and said "HEY!" gave him my "stern mommy look" while pointing my finger at him.  pause, continue, explaining that you've just seen my "strn mommy look"...so the whole "stern mommy look" thing became both a good tangent and a running joke.  my best advice is, don't be intimidated by hecklers...USE them, and have ideas about what you want to say.  (and if you decide in the end like i did that you have a face for radio, WRITE instead.)

durg, brutus...good for you, very brave. find out when your local comedy club has open mike night, and become a regular.  you'll get good practice, you'll become recognizable, and who knows who will see you there!  good luck and tell us how it goes!!!

Hehe.. you don't seem to be like an avarge 30-something year old mom ;)
@davidramnero

Offline blitzonator

• Starcross Space Cadet
  • A pic from the galactic zoo. What is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 11:43:08 am »
I do it at school.

"Do you know what I hate, Macs. they Isuck, there Iannoying and make my eyes pop. And what is it with the fans? they are skinny little brats who have cues to be punched in the face. *Imitating Punch and swearing* I would break A mac if I see one. I mean, WHAT'S WITH THE FREAKING LOGO ON SCREEN! it takes up half of the screen! Its not a friggin' alter to the worm now is it? *Mimics praying*"

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 11:47:17 am »
I do it at school.

"Do you know what I hate, Macs. they Isuck, there Iannoying and make my eyes pop. And what is it with the fans? they are skinny little brats who have cues to be punched in the face. *Imitating Punch and swearing* I would break A mac if I see one. I mean, WHAT'S WITH THE FREAKING LOGO ON SCREEN! it takes up half of the screen! Its not a friggin' alter to the worm now is it? *Mimics praying*"

"Today's Truth," from the keyboard of /lurk:

You're not funny.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2008, 12:35:01 pm »
i figured i will write a rant about politics or religion and put some jokes in instead. i treid one before in my drama class and it worked brilliantly.

Offline GamerMommy

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2008, 12:43:55 pm »
make sure you say something about, "women just LOVE this barack obama.  all the women around are like, 'ooooh he's so sensitive!' 'oooh, he's so handsome!' ...women LOVE barack obama!  i'll tell you why it really is.  for the majority of middle-aged housewives in america, if they vote for obama, that's the ONLY way they're gonna get a Big O."

thankyouverymuch.   ;D

that one was for free...

...because hitting toons is healthier than hitting kids...