Author Topic: Heroes on NBC --- Warning: Spoilers Abound!  (Read 69413 times)

Offline Slartibartfast

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
  • Do they speak English in What?
    • View Profile
Heroes on NBC --- Warning: Spoilers Abound!
« on: September 25, 2006, 07:09:53 pm »
Heroes

It reminds me of Rising Stars and Aberrant.  I approve.

Hiro is the man!   His Blog   :)  Edit: Getting better.   

Did anyone else watch it?

Edit: Time to beef up this post.

Warning: Spoilers Abound! 
Speculation to follow!

'Heroes' has the power to engage and confuse
You can practically hear the Heroes cult forming.
Dense, dark, a little dreary and yet oddly intriguing, Heroes seems destined to attract an audience that is more loyal than large. A distinctive, dark-knight comic book brought to life, Heroes clearly isn't for everyone, but that's all right: Every show doesn't have to be for everyone. What matters is that Heroes is likely to please viewers who like genre series, even when those series take themselves a tad too seriously.

They will, however, have to get past a pilot that is so devoted to setting a tone that it ignores the need to establish its characters or move along its story. And the pretentious twang to that tone is set by the opening credits, with their Star Wars-type graphic crawl and the promise that we are entering Chapter One, Volume One of an "epic tale." It's hard enough to get people to take high-concept shows seriously; there's no need to actually invite derisive laughter.

The concept here is that a group of people scattered around the globe have evolved to a higher genetic level and developed superpowers. They don't all understand their powers and they may not all put them to heroic purposes. Over time, however, many of them will realize that it's their destiny to save the world.

Like Six Degrees, destiny seems to be a large part of the Heroes mythology, as the characters continually cross paths — no easy task considering how spread out they are at the start.

Mohinder (Sendhil Ramamurthy) is a genetics professor in India; Peter (Milo Ventimiglia, finally playing a likable character) is a nurse in New York; Hiro (Masi Oka) is an animé fan in Tokyo; Claire (Hayden Panettiere) is a cheerleader in Texas.

All of them speak English, except for Hiro, whose dialogue requires subtitles, yet another demand from a show that makes an awful lot of them.

The show spends much of its first two episodes revealing the characters' powers, so it seems unfair to give them away here. Let's just say some are more mental — telepathy, empathy, an ability to stop time or see into the future. Some are more physical, from an ability to fly to an inability to be hurt. And some either haven't been revealed or I haven't figured them out, which may explain why some of the characters are of much greater interest than others.

And that's part of the problem with Heroes: It isn't always clear whether the show is being intentionally mysterious or is simply unintentionally confused. Heavily serialized fantasies like Heroes are particularly hard to carry off, and you don't leave the first three episodes convinced that the actors and producers are up to the challenge.

Yet you don't leave bored, either, and that's no small accomplishment. If nothing else, Heroes shows an early knack for coming up with the kind of surprise, episode-ending cliffhangers that will keep some viewers coming back for more.

Make no mistake, it will attract a cult. Whether the cult will be large enough is a question only one of the Heroes could answer.

Line for the cult forms here!
1. Slartibartfast
2. Netherflare
3. BPM
4. ilikesanta
5. stuckin2004

More balanced reviews (I've found some pretty overtop ones both positive and negative) :

TV Review: Heroes
A high school cheerleader is indestructible. A geeky Japanese office drone can bend time and teleport himself across the globe. A gifted artist paints the future. A New York City man leaps off of tall buildings in a single bound.

No, these aren't characters in, say, X-Men: The Awakening.

They're actually ordinary humans who suddenly learn they have superpowers in Heroes, NBC's nifty new drama.

In a TV landscape bloated with pulse-pounding thrillers about kidnapped kids, runaway families, missing wives, sinister conspiracies and one nuclear holocaust, Heroes is a welcomed treat — a popcorn TV show with a cool comic book vibe.

With the real world in such turmoil, Tim Kring, the show's creator and executive producer, believes the time is right for a save-the-universe drama like Heroes.

"In a world that seems to be out of balance.... there's a sense people (are hoping) somebody is going to rise up among us and actually do something about it," Kring says. "I was trying to tap into that."

But Kring quickly points out that the show's overnight superheroes won't immediately form a team and fight the world's evildoers. You probably won't see any capes or spandex, either.

"It's not like the Justice League," Kring says, referring to the old Saturday morning cartoon that featured the likes of Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman. "They'll come together in small ways and in small pockets."

Kring admits he doesn't have a comic book background. Over the years he has produced such very un-comic book-like shows as Chicago Hope, Providence and L.A. Doctors. Most recently he created Crossing Jordan, NBC's popular forensics drama.

So Kring hired writers from such fantastical dramas as Lost, Alias and Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman to help him out.

"I'm sort of surrounded by comic book geeks," says Kring, "who seem to steer me in directions when we're veering too close to things that have been done before or steering me away from things that shouldn't be done."

What Kring plans to do with Heroes is populate it with unlikely bad guys. Just because all of the characters start out on the right side of the law doesn't mean they will all end up that way.

"The truth is, the evil is sometimes within us," he says. "If you can walk through walls and you're inclined to do good, you may walk through a wall to save somebody. If you're inclined to do something evil, you may walk through a wall and rob a bank. I think we can expect that some villains will arise."

In the opening minutes of Heroes, we're told by a handsome genetics professor (Sendhil Ramamurthy) that man only uses one-tenth his brain power and we have yet to reach our "true human potential."

Like in the X-Men movies, a group of ordinary people are evolving into superhuman mutants. Claire Bennet (Remember the Titans' Hayden Panettiere), a cute high school cheerleader in Texas, can run through train wreck fires and hurl herself off the top of steel structures while walking away without a scratch. Niki Sanders (Final Destination's Ali Larter), a Las Vegas stripper struggling to raise her young son, has a sinister alter-ego with a mind of her own and Hiro Nakamura (Scrubs' Masi Oka) is overjoyed with his ability to teleport himself like the characters on Star Trek.

"Each of these characters' abilities is actually kind of an extension of who they are and what their life is about," Kring says, "like the single mother who is trying to make ends meet and who literally finds that she can be in two places at the same time."

Heroes works because it's not just a comic book show teeming with a bunch of one-dimensional superheroes who save the world and fly or run off into the night after a job well done. It's more about average people coming to grips with newfound life choices they never expected. The characters have interesting back stories that have nothing to do with their powers.

Heroes also has a strong ensemble, led by such standouts as Adrian Pasdar (Profit) as a slimy politician running for Congress, Larter as a single mom with a deadly temper and Oka as the giddy teleporter.

Kring says Oka's character was developed late in the script process.

"After giving the script to a couple of friends to read, we realized there was a tonal issue," he says. "My first impression of getting these abilities (is) we would approach it in a very realistic way. We would try and deny it or go to the doctor or go to a shrink or something to try to figure out what it is. I felt I needed one character who embraced (the powers) in a really positive way and saw it as the greatest thing in the world."

Heroes is certainly out-of-this-world and one cool TV show.

Characters, not superpowers, drive intriguing new NBC series
"Heroes" is not a show that's going to grab you by the throat from its opening scene and demand to be watched. Unlike, say, certain seasons of "24" or the pilot episode of "Lost," the new NBC series reveals itself a little more slowly.

Give it a little time, though, and it will suck you in just the same.

The series, about a group of people -- from a high school cheerleader in West Texas to an L.A. cop to a directionless health-care worker in New York -- who discover they have superhuman abilities, is among the most ambitious new series of this season. Its characters are far-flung and, at first, entirely separate from one another. They're also, for the most part, pretty uncomfortable with their new abilities, be they flight or indestructibility or the power to see the future.

The idea that having superpowers might be a burden is an intriguing one, and it runs counter to most of our childhood fantasies. What "Heroes" does especially well is make a convincing case against wish fulfillment; its characters are genuinely befuddled as to what to make of their powers.

Except, that is, for Tokyo office drone Hiro Nakamura (Masi Oka, who gives an exuberant, breakout performance), who has discovered he can manipulate time and teleport himself. Hiro is the embodiment of every fanboy or -girl who ever dreamed of being imbued with superpowers, and he keeps the show from becoming too angst-ridden, a "thirtysomething" starring the Justice League.

The most interesting heroes are flawed ones, though, and creator Tim Kring ("Crossing Jordan") has done a smart thing by letting us see his characters' origin stories. The series feels a little more grounded for showing their struggles to come to terms with being a little more than human, because it's entirely plausible we'd react the same way.

"Heroes" is not all brooding self-analysis, though. There are also hints early on of nefarious forces, possibly government-related, working to keep the existence of these extraordinary people a secret (if not eliminating them entirely). There's also a particularly grisly serial killer on the loose who may also have some abilities, and a young Indian professor (Sendhil Ramamurthy, who skillfully carries most of the expository weight) trying to figure out what happened to his father, whose theories on evolution might hold the key to finding more such genetically advanced people.

There may be a worldwide catastrophe looming on the horizon. Of course, none of the characters -- except, maybe, the artist (Santiago Cabrera) whose paintings predict the future -- know that yet. Happily, though, Kring does seem to have a pretty good grasp on where things are going, and the pace of the first three episodes is strong, answering a few questions while raising numerous others that can fuel the show for some time to come.

"Heroes" probably won't have much problem appearing to comic-book fans. By keeping its feet planted more or less firmly in recognizable human behavior, though, the show has a pretty good chance to break out.

"Heroes": a folly to cherish
I can't wait to see the ratings for "Heroes," which premieres at 9 tonight on NBC.

This drama is the strangest of the roughly 25 series debuting this fall. In the show, everyday people slowly realize they have superheroic powers. How are these people connected? I don't know, and the first three episodes don't supply a clear answer. But "Heroes" does offer marvelous characters and knock-your-socks-off cliffhangers, so I'm hooked by the show.

Will viewers give it a chance? I hope so. It's a wildly original series. (Please see my four-star review in today's Sentinel.) And I hope drag-it-out "Lost," which has burned many viewers, won't stop people from committing to "Heroes."

Pay special attention to Hayden Panettiere (pictured) as a Texas cheerleader, Adrian Pasdar as a New York politician and Masi Oka as a Japanese office worker. Greg Grunberg of "Felicity" and "Alias" comes aboard in week two as a Los Angeles policeman who can hear others' thoughts.

Here are my thoughts: I hope the show keeps getting better, and I hope it succeeds.

"Heroes" might seem like a folly -- how do all these plots fit together?

But it's a folly to love.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 03:57:50 am by Slartibartfast »

Offline Netherflare

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • Peski's > You
    • View Profile
Re: Heroes
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 07:48:36 pm »
a very good show

that is now my monday show!
I Want Patience, and I Want It NOW!

Peskitoriantais - http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=5046.0
Violandro - http://violandro.myminicity.com/

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 01:38:10 pm »
a very good show

that is now my monday show!

It precedes my other Monday show: Studio 60.

Offline Slartibartfast

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 11:52:29 am »
The ratings and post air talk.

"Heroes" is heroic

NBC's "Heroes" broke out in its premiere Monday night. The action drama follows everyday people, such as one played by Milo Ventimiglia (pictured), who learn they have superheroic powers. "Heroes" averaged 14.1 million viewers and proved potent competition for two CBS comedies. "Two and a Half Men" managed 15.3 million, and "The New Adventures of Old Christine" drew 12.2 million.

What the numbers tell us
Aaron Sorkin may yet save TV, but he won't be saving NBC anytime soon: Sorkin's "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip," in which Matthew Perry as Sorkin's stand-in attempts to rescue television from itself, is one of the most expensive series in network TV history. NBC ripped apart its original fall schedule to protect it after they realized "Grey's" would be moved to "Studio 60's" planned Thursday timeslot, then devoted the bulk of the network's fall marketing to it.

And for all that money and trouble, what did NBC get? A show whose premiere finished a distant second in its timeslot to "CSI: Miami," lost more than 4 million viewers from its "Deal or No Deal" lead-in and another 2 1/2 million from its first half-hour to its second, and another 2 million from its first episode to its second. Not panic numbers, but not remotely what NBC execs must have been expecting from the investment.

If Sorkin can't, maybe "Heroes" will: Making "Studio 60" look even worse was Monday night's premiere of its new lead-in "Heroes," which, with a fraction of the hype given to "Studio 60," opened with more than 14 million viewers, built from its first half-hour to its second, and easily won its hour in 18-49. How many weeks before Sorkin has Perry or Bradley Whitford deliver a rant against comic book movies and TV shows?

I find that pretty funny.  What they never seem to realize, it's not how much you advertise; it's whether or not you've made a show I want to watch.  It might be good, but I don't care about the behind the scenes action of a comedy show.

'Heroes' makes strong debut on NBC
The show, billed as the next Lost and already picked up by Sci-Fi in the UK, averaged 14.3m viewers for the peacock network at 9pm. It came just ahead of a comedy block on CBS, which averaged 14.2m viewers. More importantly, Heroes topped CBS by over 30% in the critical advertiser-friendly 18-49 demographic.
Maybe that's why no one's posting.  Half the people here can't see it!   :'( 

Okay.  That's enough of that.  Start speculating on what the BIG secret is.  I shall return. 

Offline Fink

• Elevator Action Operator
  • I have more stars than you
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 06:53:39 pm »
I don’t know... I like super heroes (especially time manipulation)

However, I don't see anyone I can really relate to on the show. They all seam, I don’t know, preppy.

Also, It's on one of "those" networks (I don't really watch anything on CBS, NBC, FOX...)

Meh, I might have to look into it

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 09:18:43 am »
The ratings and post air talk.

"Heroes" is heroic

NBC's "Heroes" broke out in its premiere Monday night. The action drama follows everyday people, such as one played by Milo Ventimiglia (pictured), who learn they have superheroic powers. "Heroes" averaged 14.1 million viewers and proved potent competition for two CBS comedies. "Two and a Half Men" managed 15.3 million, and "The New Adventures of Old Christine" drew 12.2 million.

What the numbers tell us
Aaron Sorkin may yet save TV, but he won't be saving NBC anytime soon: Sorkin's "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip," in which Matthew Perry as Sorkin's stand-in attempts to rescue television from itself, is one of the most expensive series in network TV history. NBC ripped apart its original fall schedule to protect it after they realized "Grey's" would be moved to "Studio 60's" planned Thursday timeslot, then devoted the bulk of the network's fall marketing to it.

And for all that money and trouble, what did NBC get? A show whose premiere finished a distant second in its timeslot to "CSI: Miami,"

It's CSI!! My god, what did they expect?

... lost more than 4 million viewers from its "Deal or No Deal" lead-in

Which is a reality show, part of a genre of current TV that's likely more popular than anything else right now. An additional point: A reality show and a dramedy have nothing in common; it's expected for people to not watch both. Besides, most people's lineup is probably set up as follows: Deal or No Deal, then turn the channel for CSI.

...and another 2 1/2 million from its first half-hour to its second,

So?

...and another 2 million from its first episode to its second.

There is always a drop in numbers from a pilot episode to the 2nd episode. What this article doesn't mention is that the average drop-off from one to the other is 50%.

Not panic numbers, but not remotely what NBC execs must have been expecting from the investment.

Then they're morons for underestimating the power of CSI. Which I doubt.

If Sorkin can't, maybe "Heroes" will: Making "Studio 60" look even worse was Monday night's premiere of its new lead-in "Heroes," which, with a fraction of the hype given to "Studio 60," opened with more than 14 million viewers, built from its first half-hour to its second, and easily won its hour in 18-49. How many weeks before Sorkin has Perry or Bradley Whitford deliver a rant against comic book movies and TV shows?

A 'fraction of the hype'? Do these people watch that network? For the last three weeks, they have been showing Heroes commercials at least once every commercial break. Everyone I know had heard of Heroes, whereas a small portion of them had heard of Studio 60. The only hype Studio 60 received was from people that already liked Sorkin's work. Heroes was even shown with minimal commercial interruption, so to say that it was playing second-fiddle to Studio 60 from a marketing standpoint is profoundly dumb.

I find that pretty funny.  What they never seem to realize, it's not how much you advertise; it's whether or not you've made a show I want to watch.  It might be good, but I don't care about the behind the scenes action of a comedy show.

And that's cool. At least you're being realistic about that.

'Heroes' makes strong debut on NBC
The show, billed as the next Lost and already picked up by Sci-Fi in the UK, averaged 14.3m viewers for the peacock network at 9pm. It came just ahead of a comedy block on CBS, which averaged 14.2m viewers. More importantly, Heroes topped CBS by over 30% in the critical advertiser-friendly 18-49 demographic.
Maybe that's why no one's posting.  Half the people here can't see it!   :'( 

It honestly doesn't matter how well Heroes did with its pilot. What's important is how many people watch the 2nd and 3rd episodes. That's when you see where it's really standing. A pilot getting good ratings on a network that heralded it so much is a given.

Offline Netherflare

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • Peski's > You
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2006, 06:37:14 pm »
yesterday was a great show! I cant wait for next week!

Offline BPM

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2006, 11:35:17 pm »
I've been working on getting everyone at my workplace hooked on the show. It start with just one of my co-workers and me and we've managed to hype it up to about eight other people in the office to the point where some of us are probably going to start meeting on Mondays to watch the show together. =D
Currently playing:

Rocket Slime (DS)             Guitar Hero II (PS2)
Resistance (PS3)               Zelda (Wii)

So many good games, so little time...

Offline TheMagicHobo

• Pac-Man Maniac
  • Schrodinger's Cat is out for Revenge.
    • View Profile
Heroes is destroying the sanctity of nerdness!
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2006, 07:57:00 pm »
If you have been watching the NBC show Heroes, you know it's destroying the sanctity of nerdness! Sure, Hiro, the asian dude, is a real nerd. But here's where the problem comes. He's so cool, that everyone is going to try to be like him. Over the past years there have been the periodic fake-ass-emo-nerd or fake-ass-emo-geek ever so often, but with Hiro being so cool it's going to cause a whole new wave of fake-ass-y-ness. And even worse! Chrono Trigger, long a cult classic, will now become... DUN DUN DUN! MAIN STREAM! All because of that stupid little blog of his where he mentions it over and over again. Before I could talk to my friends about Chrono Trigger and we'd be the only ones to know about it! But now EVERYONE will know about Chrono Trigger! We will no longer be able to have our precious conversations over whether or not it was Frog or Magus on top of the castle! We will no longer be able to say who was the hottest: Lucca, Marle, or Ayla! We will no longer be able to have our inside jokes about it! All because of NBC's advertising of nerdness! Damn you NBC! DAMN YOU!!!!!!!

I'm done.
Schrodinger will kill you like a cat in a box. Maybe.

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide target selection.

Televison - A medium. So called because it is neither rare nor well-done.

Keep an open mind. Just make sure it's not so open your brain falls out.

Offline Netherflare

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • Peski's > You
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2006, 08:15:59 pm »
can someone tell me what happened yesterday because i was at a band exhibition and missed it.

Offline TheMagicHobo

• Pac-Man Maniac
  • Schrodinger's Cat is out for Revenge.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2006, 08:18:41 pm »
Just watch it on the NBC website. They have free webisodes, ya know.
Schrodinger will kill you like a cat in a box. Maybe.

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide target selection.

Televison - A medium. So called because it is neither rare nor well-done.

Keep an open mind. Just make sure it's not so open your brain falls out.

Offline Slartibartfast

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2006, 11:30:34 pm »
can someone tell me what happened yesterday because i was at a band exhibition and missed it.
It will also re-air on SciFi this Friday.  I believe at 8/7 Eastern/Central.  I missed it too.  Thank goodness for TiVo, though.   ;D

Offline Netherflare

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • Peski's > You
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2006, 01:44:32 pm »
im really still interested in this show. saw it last night and these cliff hangers kill me! I just hope that all this leading up will lead to something great, instead of something that usually turns out real stupid!

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2006, 12:21:42 am »
the frist two episodes were alright and I've been waiting for it to pick up steam and start getting all the "heros" togerther but finally after the thrid episode it's starting to get good. The cliff hanger got me hooked from now on, you can sign me up for the cult. I read in the Seattle Times- (maybe it was the P.I.?) that it's one of the seasons winners so here's to hoping that we'll have many seasons of this show.

ON episode 3 one gripe *minor Spoiler* how could the political brother not know that the chick isn't a striper/hooker she totally did a striper move on him? Also why were poeple trying to set him up, I missed that part.

*END SPOILER*
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2006, 07:49:07 pm »
Well, having caught up, this is one of those VERY rare TV shows I swear to watch regularly. Sign me up for the cult!!

**SPOILERS***
striper/hooker she totally did a striper move on him?

lol. It was pretty dank when he flew away. Oh, an apparently now the politician's brother soaks in everyone else's powers, so that's cool. And the stripper, what's up with her power? Is it a Jeckyll and Hyde deal or is it a mirror issue?

EDIT:
On the upside, I have been practicing my time freezing as you guys have said and I think I leveled up my skill. (>_<)(o.o)

ROFL!!!!! From Hiro's blog, BTw.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 07:51:15 pm by stuckin2004 »