Author Topic: Zombie fighting tactics  (Read 40179 times)

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie fighting tactics
« Reply #210 on: April 14, 2007, 01:32:03 pm »
"Zombie" is defined by books and movies, so it would be a waste of time wondering how they function.

I don't know if you've been around the internet for long, but if you have been you may have come across the STvSW argument, and various iterations on that theme. The point is, you need to make an attempt to understand something from a technical viewpoint before being able to discuss it, and saying, "this would work" or "this wouldn't happen".
Once we define our zombie archetype, we can then find technicalities that allow us to solve given problems (such as long-term survival) and critique other peoples' solutions.

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • You just blipped on my radar
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 14, 2007, 01:43:10 pm »
If we are going to create the GS boards defition of zombie we will then draw from other sources to come up with our own idea which, as Daxx said, we can then use to discuss.

Well we technically know a great deal about zombies. They were after all humans, so we can apply many limitations the human body has to zombies (such as water preassure out in the ocean).

So the first has to be what causes a zombie to rise. Is it magic? A natrually occuring disease? A biological weapon? Something else?
(Personally I like disease*)

How does it spread. The common one is a bite. But if you got zombie blood in an open cut would you be infected? If you touched a 'dead' zombie would you become infected? Does burning the bodies create a fallout affect where it spreads the zombificationess to other corpses who weren't bitten?  Is everyone already infected we're basically just waiting to die?

These are all examples, and we go on from there. Sensory organs, how they function to what degree. Interactions with each other, with other living things. How they get their energy.. the list goes on.

*A disease that kills then reanimates instead of one more similar to the rage disease
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 01:48:11 pm by Interitus »
My karma ran over your dogma

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 14, 2007, 01:56:36 pm »
Bizarrely, this is one of those situations where "a wizard did it" is perhaps the most realistic solution.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 14, 2007, 02:50:54 pm »
The main thing that confuses me about zombies is the head removal deal. I mean.. if to all intents and purposes they're dead all aross the body, then surely lopping off another dead bit won't really help a lot? Though that's going down the complex route of how they see or smell..

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 14, 2007, 02:57:03 pm »
That idea I think originated with video goames and movies.  You had to kill them somehow...

The best type of zombie is the generic stupid one, but he cannot be killed.  He eats human flesh instead of just brains.  I call it a Gorevouch for some reason
* Plank of Wood slaps

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF MAN. THE REVIEWS DO NOT EFFECT ANYTHING EVER.

QFT

Offline Tal

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Farm boy
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #215 on: April 14, 2007, 04:25:39 pm »
I prefer the Romero zombies myself. Now like Romero did, I think it would be best to never reveal the true nature of their origin, as that really isn't the important part. What is important is what they can do.

The Generic Zombie
-Possess human-level strength, though this reduces as their muscle mass deteriorates
-Extremely slow, taking only one step a second, and speed only reduces as they are injured and their bodies waste away
-Completely mindless, using no tactics aside from mobbing anything that they identify as prey
-Eat human flesh, though they will eat the flesh of anything they can catch
-Can discern humans from zombies, no matter what, and do not prey on each other
-Have an indeterminate life span, reaching a certain level of rot and remaining that way for an unknown period of time
-Feel no pain and are incapable of feeling emotion or remembering who they were in the past
-Can only be killed by brain trauma, but the head will remain alive if removed from the body and require a second killing blow to finish

That's my take on the zombie. I hope this helps.
There are some things mankind was not meant to know...

"If you can't take the heat, get off the car hood." -Bucky Katt

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 14, 2007, 08:27:40 pm »
Say I wanted a living zombie as a display. Could I chop off its arms, legs, put steel cable around its neck and tie it, then hang it up from the ceiling, putting it next to the wall so I could mount a display case next to it?

Or would I have to break/blow off its jaw too?

Offline Tal

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Farm boy
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #217 on: April 14, 2007, 08:30:10 pm »
Say I wanted a living zombie as a display. Could I chop off its arms, legs, put steel cable around its neck and tie it, then hang it up from the ceiling, putting it next to the wall so I could mount a display case next to it?

Or would I have to break/blow off its jaw too?

Despite the highly disturbing nature of your question, I have an answer to your home decorating problem.

If it's in a case, you're gold. But if there will be a way to get your fingers near it, by all means, hack that jaw off. For the children.

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 15, 2007, 05:49:42 am »
Ironically after only just watching Shaun of the dead last night there appears to be a market for displaying zombies.

Offline SBD

• Duck Hunter
  • It stands for Ship-Borne Dive bomber, people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 15, 2007, 06:33:01 am »
What about circulation and breathing? do zombies' blood flow, and do they breath?

Offline Tal

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Farm boy
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #220 on: April 15, 2007, 08:25:52 am »
What about circulation and breathing? do zombies' blood flow, and do they breath?

In most cases no. Their blood is coagulated and doesn't circulate, thus reducing the risk of being infected in melee combat, but not by a whole lot. As for breathing, same thing. The way I've always seen it is that their entire bodies are dead, like in Day of the Dead, and even upon rigorous scientific examination, there is no rational reason as to how, much less why, they are even capable of getting up and attacking us. Creepy.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 15, 2007, 08:31:54 am »
I think I saw it mentioned somewhere that zombies do breathe, but that they don't exchange gases in their lungs. I'm thinking that they wouldn't be able to moan unless they breathed.

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 15, 2007, 09:10:34 am »
Would it kill a zombie if you trapped it in a pool of liquid nitrogen?

I was thinking, maybe if I froze a zombie, killing its brain, then draining it of bodily fluids, i could put the whole zombie on the wall. after thawing, of course.

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 15, 2007, 09:17:50 am »
But then you've just got a corpse on the wall.  The whole point of an ornamental zombie is that its moaning and trying to kill you, but can't escape.
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #224 on: April 15, 2007, 09:19:55 am »
Like the guy who got stuck on the pole in Shaun of the Dead.