Author Topic: Superman Returns  (Read 11939 times)

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
Re: Superman Returns
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2006, 08:18:58 am »
Superman is my least favorite because he's WAY too super. There's no need for creativity when writing anything about Superman, because he is impervious to bullets, can fly, has laser vision, ice breath, x-ray vision, super strength... He can get out of any situation way too easily. Superman's only weakness is a kind of rock, that's conveniently located a billion light years away.

Get a real superhero who has limits, like Spiderman. If you shoot him in the eye, he will die.

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2006, 08:59:31 am »
I agree wtih the Superman thing, he is way to perfect and not fun at all.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline GrrrArrgh

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2006, 03:52:54 pm »

He thinks we're weak.

Relatively speaking humans are weak. Squishy bipedal flesh/water bags with no natural weapons or defenses of any kind. Sure there's the whole brain thing, but when matched up against various acts of super villainy it really doesn't compare.

And just so I'm doing something besides badmouthing humans, I for one like Superman and will probably see the movie at some point. I've seen previews and the eye thing does seem a bit much though.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2006, 03:55:33 pm by GrrrArrgh »
There is a method to my madness. That method is in and of itself quite mad, but it is method nonetheless.

Offline Fink

• Elevator Action Operator
  • I have more stars than you
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2006, 03:57:02 pm »

Nerf superman  :D

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2006, 05:52:33 pm »
hmm, now that i've seen the movie *coughcough* it seems like they do try to put limits on his power.

aside from the obvious:
1. even though he can travel faster than light, he has trouble accelerating (was barely able to save the plane)
2. can only be one place at a time
3. the ONE WEAKNESS of nearly any superhero (especially the X-Men) he has a finite attention span, and if he gets distracted you can sneak up on him
4. his own invincibility working against him (SPOILER): when the doctors are working on him, they try to give him an injection, and the needle bends back, they try to shock his heart, and the damn machine breaks.. still want to be invincible?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 08:30:16 pm by Leng »
I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2006, 07:42:40 am »
I think a good writer can do something interesting with Superman, mostly because they can take all of his powers and still come up with a storyline worth reading. I'm looking at Alan Moore and Grant Morrison here. His near invincibility should be considered a challenge to a writer, not a hindrance.

And for the record: I hate when they nerf him. They've done it off and on for decades. Hell, by most accounts, an earlier version of Superman could have thumped Doomsday and killed him.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2006, 02:47:39 am »

Nerf supermaná :D
Yes! His new foe could be some sort of games developer who traps him in an virtual reality to make him go crazy by nerfing his powers.

Superman V 2.1012 update: Superman's heat vision now has a 100% longer recharge and does less damage. Superman's strength has been reduced to balance the play experience for the villains. Superman's flight power can only be used for 1 minute at a time and has a 5 minute cooldown. Superman's super breath is now only effective against lvl 6 villains and below.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline The Terminator

• Kaboom Boomer!
  • I'll Be Back!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2006, 01:11:16 pm »
Superman is my least favorite because he's WAY too super. There's no need for creativity when writing anything about Superman, because he is impervious to bullets, can fly, has laser vision, ice breath, x-ray vision, super strength... He can get out of any situation way too easily. Superman's only weakness is a kind of rock, that's conveniently located a billion light years away.

Get a real superhero who has limits, like Spiderman. If you shoot him in the eye, he will die.

Superman does have limits.....compared to DBZ heroes. He also does have kryptonite as a weakness.

Personally, Superman is my least favorite superhero ever. I'll tell you why.

He thinks we're weak.

Almost every other superhero there's ever been started as a regular old human, and they were given super powers later in life somehow. Their secret identity is their super powers.

But Superman was BORN with "super powers." He has always been Superman, even if he didn't know it for awhile. His secret identity is Clark Kent. He hides among us, thinking the best way to hide is to act weak, skittish, shy, and clumsy - because thats how he sees us compared to him. It's degrading.

Personally I take Superman as an insult to our species, calling us weak and that we cannot help ourselves.

That does not make him an insult to humankind, if anything, it makes himself look stupid. Try to copie a chimpanzee & see how you do to "not stand out". I'll give you the chimpanzee suit no charge.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 01:17:08 pm by The Terminator »

The Giganommoths AKA THE OWNAGE!!!: http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=5817.0

Offline Hiro Protagonist

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2006, 03:11:24 pm »

But Superman was BORN with "super powers." He has always been Superman, even if he didn't know it for awhile.

From what I understand that's incorrect. Superman's powers are a result of the way the yellow sun reacts to his Kryptonian physiology. Being born on the planet Krypton which had a Red Sun orbiting it, he wouldn't have the same type of life since Krypton was not a civilization of flying Supermen.

Anyway, I just saw the movie. Seemingly not the most original tale, but it made me curious to know more about the Superman mythos. Despite it's flaws, I think it continued to show how far comic book movies have come compared to say....videogame movies. I think it may have been too slow for some people, since the drama outweighed the action. But for anyone craving the same type of matured tone that the Batman movies took on, I think Superman Returns fits the bill quite nicely.

I can't dock points off the movie from a fan's point of view because as I said I'm not too familiar with the Superman universe, but I enjoyed it quite a bit personally. I'd see it again.  Other opinions of the movie?

Offline The Terminator

• Kaboom Boomer!
  • I'll Be Back!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2006, 07:26:46 pm »
Goku > any superhero

And Galactus > all of DBZ

does venom count when spider man 3 comes out, or possibly carnage? ??? so awsome...

Emo Spider-man? ;)
Carnage will almost definatly not be in though.

hes not emo he just had an evil black alien attach to him and control his mind and he had to separate it from him with ear-pounding noise,
then have an angry sociopath attack and nearly kill him in the same suit with all his powers, most likely killing a friend of his, then running around pounding stuff till its defeated then probably comes back later, only stronger and angryer, then it gets defeated again and gets put in jail, only to have the alien escape from some lab, rebvond with the guy, breaking out of prison and leaving behind carnage, who then kills nearly everyone. or at least half-way through there. depends on the story. :D his life sucks.

Speaking of SPider-Man turning Emo, check this out:

ROFL
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 07:47:55 pm by The Terminator »

The Giganommoths AKA THE OWNAGE!!!: http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=5817.0

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2006, 11:34:53 am »
Personally, Superman is my least favorite superhero ever. I'll tell you why.

He thinks we're weak.

Almost every other superhero there's ever been started as a regular old human, and they were given super powers later in life somehow. Their secret identity is their super powers.

But Superman was BORN with "super powers." He has always been Superman, even if he didn't know it for awhile. His secret identity is Clark Kent. He hides among us, thinking the best way to hide is to act weak, skittish, shy, and clumsy - because thats how he sees us compared to him. It's degrading.

Personally I take Superman as an insult to our species, calling us weak and that we cannot help ourselves.

Hmm. This sounds familiar. Oh yeah ...

Bill: An essential characteristic of the superhero mythology is, there's the superhero, and there's the alter ego. Batman is actually Bruce Wayne, Spider-Man is actually Peter Parker. When he wakes up in the morning, he's Peter Parker. He has to put on a costume to become Spider-Man. And it is in that characteristic that Superman stands alone. Superman did not become Superman, Superman was born Superman. When Superman wakes up in the morning, he's Superman. His alter ego is Clark Kent. His outfit with the big red "S", that's the blanket he was wrapped in as a baby when the Kents found him. Those are his clothes. What Kent wears, the glasses, the business suit, that's the costume. That's the costume Superman wears to blend in with us. Clark Kent is how Superman views us. And what are the characteristics of Clark Kent? He's weak, he's unsure of himself... he's a coward. Clark Kent is Superman's critique on the whole human race.

-- Kill Bill 2, written by Quentin Tarantino

If you were referencing it, it's at least courtesy to say you were; if you weren't, that's cool. No biggie. But just because some murdering freak like Bill says it doesn't make it so. In each character's case -- Spider-Man and Batman -- he does things when he's being 'himself' that aren't necessary. Peter Parker still wears glasses. Does he need them? No. He still appears flawed and easy to victimize. Is he? No. Same goes for Batman: By his own design, he has made people believe that Bruce Wayne is a playboy that sleeps indiscriminantly with supermodels and parties from dusk till dawn. What's consistent in all cases is that the hero tries to position his alter-ego as someone exactly the opposite of what and who he truly is.

Which is what Superman does. Clark Kent bumbles around, not because he's saying that every human does, but because it makes any concept of Clark Kent being Superman fly right out of your head. Superman doesn't bumble; he is commanding and powerful beyond belief. And if Bruce Wayne truly showcased his technical brilliance and angst-filled attitude, the concept of him being Batman would be far easier to expose.

TheNecromonicon

« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2006, 05:14:36 pm »
Never heard that Tarantino thing. And you raise a good argument.

But I still don't like Superman.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2006, 06:58:35 pm »

Amen.

And that was an interesting read. I would have skipped it, if it weren't for my interest in people debating whether superman sucks or not.

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2006, 08:32:18 am »

Amen.

And that was an interesting read. I would have skipped it, if it weren't for my interest in people debating whether superman sucks or not.

People that don't like Superman, IMO, seem to dislike him for the wrong reasons. There's plenty throughout the history of the character worth championing; for example, any of the 50's and 60's Superman stories and especially the Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen series because that was insanely entertaining. Most people nowadays only see the grandiose version of Superman, which can get a bit repetitive and tired if the stories aren't being scripted by someone brilliant. But some of that early stuff, back when they took actual risks with the character? Those stories were absolutely awesome.

Offline GrrrArrgh

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2006, 04:35:13 pm »
I never really read any of the comics, but the main reasons I grew to like the character among other superheroes was from watching the animated series and Justice League.
There is a method to my madness. That method is in and of itself quite mad, but it is method nonetheless.