Author Topic: How would you react if...?  (Read 4275 times)

Offline GCool

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
How would you react if...?
« on: April 09, 2006, 04:22:30 pm »
lets say your crusing the galaxy in the latter stages of the game, looking for life, and you stuble on a planet with life.
You fly inwards only to see that the creatures are the same as some designs you saw from a member of theese forums.
Probably a famouse creature.

How would you react?

2) so, you found theese creatures, and check the maker, and notice it isn't the same person who put the designs up.

Then what would you do???

3) after doing whatever you said just then, you go off and find another planet, this time, they are creatures that you designed, but han't actually uploaded to the game yet.

THEN what would you do?

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
Re: How would you react if...?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 04:30:35 pm »
this what if scenario can also apply while you are still in the evolution stage.

1: well, its entirely possible for a creature to look similar to a known creature because the creator did similar steps to make that (the stats wouldn't neccesarily be the same or have an extreme similarity), so I'd just blame it on convergent evolution.

2: I dunno, and theres the whole convergent evolution thing.

3: I'm not sure on this because I'd assume you would save your creature after you finish designing it or after you last used the editor. also, we don't really know anything about how the game would upload stuff that you designed but haven't designated for upload. In short, that one is not very clear.

Offline SmileyMan

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 04:34:28 pm »
lets say your crusing the galaxy in the latter stages of the game, looking for life, and you stuble on a planet with life.
You fly inwards only to see that the creatures are the same as some designs you saw from a member of theese forums.

How would you react?

2) so, you found theese creatures, and check the maker, and notice it isn't the same person who put the designs up.

3) after doing whatever you said just then, you go off and find another planet, this time, they are creatures that you designed, but han't actually uploaded to the game yet.

THEN what would you do?

1: Report and make the designer sue the idiot for breaking copyright.

2: ^

3: Sue.

Offline Bonobo

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 04:56:21 pm »

How would you react?

My eyes would pop out of my head and inflate to five times their normal size, while my jaw unhinged and stretched down to the floor.

Let the letter slip to the ground, touch the back of my hand to my forehead, and swoon upon the divan.

THEN what would you do?

Nothing. In response to 1 & 2, I would also do nothing. Who cares?

Offline Alowan

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 02:20:43 am »
1) wow a cool creature-!

2) I would prolly ignore this, thinking like i found alike myself life another place (like humans finding other humans) - and then blow the planet up, just to get rid of them..

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 04:20:32 am »
Consider the same as every planet i find :P ( Apprently i have made too many on the forum already) I have no doubt i will find some sorrta of copy of a creature i already made and posted. I mean if the game is conforming to my "Style" then won't it be a given i find creature like the ones i made before if i make creature in game the same style as I already draw?

Offline Lambsquirter

• Megamania Megalomaniac
  • Don't play with your food
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 04:25:39 am »
1) Sue them
2) Sue them
3) Sue them
 ;)
Under construction

Offline starshard0

• Mystery House Madman
  • I'm waiting for Spore to come out, don't bug me.
    • View Profile
    • Starshard0's Super Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2006, 08:09:46 am »
This wouldn't happen because I'm opting out... face!
Bored? On the internet? Probably not, but if so, check out my blog.

Offline Megagun

• Lunar Lander Leader
  • And the moose comes in the night
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2006, 10:04:40 am »
First of all, Maxis owns creative copyright of the creatures. Sueing anyone won't help at all..
Second of all, you can probably disable creature uploads, etc...

Anyways, I'd see it all as a compliment. If someone creates something that resembles a creature I made, I'd feel great.. :P
However, if that person has obviously copied and is all like "OMFG look waht I made amnt i awesome lolololol", then I'd just want to have a chat with him...

Offline starsnuffer

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2006, 05:11:29 pm »
Of course pure coincidence that someone else would make for example: a starfish with arms emerging from its center, is simply out of the question. ALL isntances of similarity MUST be piggybacking, stealing, or otherwise despicable acts. *cough*sarcasm*cough*

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2006, 02:02:53 pm »
First of all, Maxis owns creative copyright of the creatures.

We don't yet know this. It's certainly possible that a player can retain copyright over his creations that he makes via the editors.

Offline GCool

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2006, 02:58:07 pm »
In the UK, theres a law type thing that as long as you can prove you designed something, it belongs to you.
Maby it's not a law, but it's been used in court and has worked. SO everyone here who's put their creatures up allready owns copyright, at least in the UK...

Offline Tantalus

• Bezerk Brawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2006, 02:58:57 pm »
You still couldn't sue them. I'm pretty sure that this would be covered under fair use, especially since A) you don't profit from it as it is B)they don't profit from it C)Good chance they've never heard of your creature before.

What your talking about is the same as using someones pre-existing creature design, such as the thousands of pics of HP Lovecraft creatures or the Alien Planet designs for their creature.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 03:00:52 pm by Tantalus »

Offline Glacies

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2006, 03:19:29 pm »
1) Spam the forums with excitment.
2) Nuke em'.
3) Valued creature=nuked. creature I made for fun=let live. No beetle packs are getting outta here.

Offline Gianavel

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2006, 05:10:35 pm »
If I was positive somebody swiped a copy of my creature and put it up as their own (assuming that's possible) and not just similar choices in the editor, I'd terraform a planet and spell out in either rivers or volcanos, "<said creator> is a copycat douchebag" (or something to that effect) and hope the planet gets loaded to other people's galaxies.