Author Topic: Alien eggs: what do they do?  (Read 6533 times)

Offline Ryuukuro

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
Alien eggs: what do they do?
« on: October 28, 2008, 09:44:18 pm »
Do you still have to wait for your egg to hatch, thus meaning you have to protect it from predators?

I only ask because Hydro said that you can eat other creature's eggs, so I assume you must spend some time protecting your own.

Or do your creatures just dance and you enter the Editor, then when you click the tick, you're in the nest, playing around as a baby?

In tribal i had to protect my egg from egg thieves. Sadly i lost my 1st baby since i did not know.

Your egg will hatch immediately, because the player is the baby. If you have a new part, with a new ability you need to practice that first before leaving the nest. When you have successfully used the new ability, you grow up. So your grown when you leave the nest. The NPC creatures have eggs though, so those you can eat, I think. I haven't seen that happen, because the eggs we ran into were kinda special so we didn't recognize them as such until they hatched.

Yeah i saw those "Aliens"-like eggs which were dripping.

I did not get too close but i wonder if they would have latched on to me if i got to close or made me explode from the inside like in Aliens.

In one of the streams he passed one.

*Spoiler*
Dripping Eggs
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h202/Hydromancerx/Spore/weirdeggs.jpg

I've run into the "alien eggs" mentioned above a few times in games and they scare the hell out of me.  I don't know why they show up and I don't know what they do. I think mine might have a glitch.  Whenever I come near them there is an awful grinding/humming sound that freaks me out.  The creatures that are supposed to be there aren't but sometimes I see them turn into the eggs.  I can't interact with the eggs at all.  They only respond as barriers.

Have any of you seen these eggs in your games?  Can you do anything with them?  Do they do anything to you?

"It's just a game!  Stop complaining!"  - Me

"Earth is the Kingdom of Who-Gives-a-****" - Will Wright

Offline eleazar

• Revenging Yar
    • View Profile
    • my spore creatures
Re: Alien eggs: what do they do?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 09:50:40 pm »
I've never heard that sound in association with the eggs, its probably a glitch.

I've also never been able to interact with the eggs.  My conclusion (at that of others on this forum) is that the eggs are displayed for the transitional period where a nest is transfered from one species to another.  I've seen ordinary creatures come out of the eggs, and they don't behave in any way differently from any other.

Offline Tobias

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 10:16:43 pm »
  I have actually seen these from start to finish, they are cocoons.  Monsters enter these cocoons and evolve into a new species.

I had just gained a brain level and stumbled upon a creature I could have taken out with no problem.  I chased it back to it's nest just in time to see it and the others wrap themselves in those strange brown/green cocoons.  I waited there for quite some time and from the 'eggs' burst a completely new species, one that wasn't so weak against my abilities.

It seems to me that it keeps the game somewhat fair to your abilities, getting rid of the starter creatures you see when you first leave the ocean.
Earth has been a lovely place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live here.

Offline DarkDragon

• Double Dragon Dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 10:25:54 pm »
I've seen them a few times, they're just new creatures coming into the world.

If I may correct SpaceOddity on that quote though, you don't have to learn the new abbilities, you can just press ESC and grow immediately  ;D
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Summoner

• BurgerTime Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 03:09:09 pm »
I can tell you it spossed to make noises and they are creatures that are too powerfull at the part you are on. But on the certain one it will hatch.

Offline Vetro

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Behold Life.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 03:13:14 pm »
I thought that they were the actual evolution of the creatures, I've never seen them go full circle but I've seen creatures pop into them and creatures come out of them. I did experience an odd glitch involving all members of a species going into the "egg" state except one, he ended up getting killed by his "evolved" descendants who looked nothing like him, while an Alpha lion looking thing and a baby watched from a distance, a fairly odd (and somewhat confusing) event in one of my more recent games.
"The Finest ship in my estimation that has ever been built or ever will be"- Captain Bertram Hayes, RMS Olympic

Offline Summoner

• BurgerTime Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 05:18:31 pm »
I thought that they were the actual evolution of the creatures, I've never seen them go full circle but I've seen creatures pop into them and creatures come out of them. I did experience an odd glitch involving all members of a species going into the "egg" state except one, he ended up getting killed by his "evolved" descendants who looked nothing like him, while an Alpha lion looking thing and a baby watched from a distance, a fairly odd (and somewhat confusing) event in one of my more recent games.
Its a both. Its what you just said and what i said. It depends.

Offline Neini

• Akalabeth Addict
  • BUNNY SMASH PUNY HUMANS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 05:20:02 pm »
Craze-rippers turn into these...unnamed, repugnant things, my creature stares blankly. A Lunky walks by the same nest and turns into one of the eggs. Then the Craze-rippers emerge, unharmed. Later the Lunky emerges as a Craze-ripper.

This is pretty much what happened once on my game.

(Both Craze-rippers and Lunkies are my creations)

Offline Blulightning

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Radioactive Kitty!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 09:46:03 pm »
They are definitely new breeds of creatures coming into the game world. They are in cocoons to give you time to adapt to the situation. The game can't just pop up a bunch of new nests all at once, or players might get confused or frightened. :-X

The game can only start with so many species of creature when you start the creature phase, and usually most of the beginning creatures are also low-level cell-like creatures. Not many high levels will be on the island when you start the phase. They develop. Those cocoons are how the game brings them into the world without trying to kill you off right away. (For example, sometimes the nests develop on the way back to your nest, so if they just entered the game suddenly, the new high-levels would probably eat you by surprise.)

Anyways, I have NEVER seen creatures enter into the cocoons.... I guess it COULD be possible......? But I've played the creature phase a lot, and I've never noticed a nest 'mutate' in any form, unless I banned or deleted the creatures that were originally there.... :-\

Offline Kidsoldier

• Star Castle Cadet
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Warfare (TAW)
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 10:06:11 pm »
So basically, your implying that because you've never seen it happen, then it mustn't happen at all.
TAW is recruiting members now! Check it out at TAW.net

Offline Blulightning

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Radioactive Kitty!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 10:21:46 pm »
So basically, your implying that because you've never seen it happen, then it mustn't happen at all.

No, of course not. :D
I do not make assumptions.

But I have spent a lot of time in the creature phase, and so I would think I would've seen it or at least noticed it happened by now.
It could be rare though... I dunno...

Offline Neini

• Akalabeth Addict
  • BUNNY SMASH PUNY HUMANS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 02:02:08 am »
I saw some creatures turn into a cocoon, they spun up into the air and when they landed they turned into these things.

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 02:18:23 am »
I've seen a nest turn into a bunch of those eggs, i walked near the nest they were eggs, they didnt do anything. Then I walked away, then the eggs disapeared and were all creatures jumping up and down teasing me, then i went over to the nest and they turned back into eggs again.