Author Topic: The RP planning thread  (Read 187849 times)

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: The RP planning thread
« Reply #660 on: December 11, 2009, 08:39:52 pm »
Also, be sure to check the other RPs and see how they do things. If you really want to do an RP you need to know how things work around here. It may help you to get into an RP that is already going so that you can learn a bit and also make some friends that like to RP. Generally speaking, the people that like to RP and are pretty good at it are probably already in an RP. You should try to get to know your audience a bit better.

Finally, if you don't put the work into the RP (by helping establish some story and basically the stuff that Neo said) people aren't going to bother to spend any of their own time doing such things. Making an RP is not as simple as creating a topic and saying "go". You're leading the charge and people will only go as far as you do.

And one last thing... the Meme RP was never going to work. The concept is not a self-sustaining one. It sounds mean, but if you thought that RP was going to go anywhere you were fooling yourself.

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: December 11, 2009, 08:41:37 pm »
Ok, so... question here is:
What do I do if my RP dies before it even starts?
You can see an example in the thread "This Might Sound Crazy... (memes RP)."

If by "dies before it begins" you mean that you didn't actually start the RP, then I'd look as to why the RP didn't start. It's almost always because "there weren't enough participants". The only two suggestions I have are to either do like KitKat says and redesign it to make it more accessible/popular, or to lower that magical number of "enough" players. An RP can exist with as few as two players, and I myself have participated in many of these one-on-one RPs. Though they can get stuck easily when both players run out of ideas, or turn into games of "My character is better than yours", these small RPs are actually more likely to be completed, since they only require two dedicated players and can move at blinding speed.

If you instead mean that it peters out before it goes anywhere, the problem may be the lack of a leader player. These are the players that create events and try to push the story forward, instead of just reacting to the other players' posts. Unless someone in the group is really avid about taking the RP's premise and running as far as they can with it, most players will look to the person who created the RP as the leader. It is, after all, his idea and, for now at least, his world. Others may start becoming leaders once they feel they know the "rules" of the world well enough to be able to do something themselves, but until then, the players will usually respectfully keep their hands off.

In short, try to open up the premise a bit more, but don't make it so vague that even you don't know what to do first. Make it a sandbox, but not just a box of sand, if you catch my meaning.  ;) You might also want to lower any expectations you have for the "correct number" of players. Too many players doing their introductions at once gets chaotic.

I didn't follow the memes RP closely, but I think it suffered from not having any setting beyond the basic premise of "we are playing as memes". People had fun making characters, but probably didn't know what to do with them.

EDIT: Neoadept pretty much hit the nail on the head as far a setting goes. :)
EDIT2: Patman's got it too. Listen to these guys, they're vets. They know what they're talking about, probably more than I do  :D

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #662 on: December 11, 2009, 08:46:19 pm »
Listen to Grievi as well, she knows a thing or two about this. And never... ever correct her spelling.

Also, The RP Creation Guide is a must-read for anyone interested in making an RP. You should also look over the RP Guidelines.

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: December 11, 2009, 09:59:33 pm »
Does this forum have a sufficient concentration of Star trek watchers to allow for an RP? I thought making one would be cool, but I seem to be the only one in my RL or this forum (aside from Darth Grievi maybe) that is a fan of the franchise. I want to make one, but I don't want to be playing it with myself :P.
My question, in a nutshell, is, would anyone be willing to play?
Goddamnit kitkat, you make me look late
Come check out The Bino and The Ni'Calls
(Or don't these are old and embarrasing)

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: December 11, 2009, 10:01:12 pm »
That depends on how strictly you want to adhere to Star Trek lore and such.

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: December 11, 2009, 10:03:24 pm »
I might be, depending on how much freedom was given. ((More Soong-type androids, please, or at least some cheap knockoffs  :P))

EDIT: What Razonatair said.

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: December 11, 2009, 10:06:56 pm »
I may be interested a bit, but I don't really know much background about the Star Trek universe.  I'm more of a Star Wars fan myself.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: December 11, 2009, 10:18:57 pm »
My point proven by Martyk.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #668 on: December 12, 2009, 06:31:40 am »
We typically don't do RPs in established universes because you have to cater to the lowest common denominator; however, if you can find the people and think you can make it work there's no reason not to try it. My best recommendation would be to make a Star Trek-like RP. It's not Trek... but it's similar in setting and technology and whatnot. The story and history would be wholly original though so that anyone could play and not really have to worry about studying up beforehand.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: December 14, 2009, 06:46:44 pm »
Anyone interested in a RP debate about the creation of intelligent species, when there is only one intelligent species in the galaxy, the Ancients? I mostly thought of it since it'd be good source material for my writingz.

-when I say debate, I mean it devolves into a brawl.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 06:55:32 pm by Razonatair »

Offline Little

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • I'm a drunk...
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: December 23, 2009, 01:21:00 am »
Anyone interested in a RP debate about the creation of intelligent species, when there is only one intelligent species in the galaxy, the Ancients? I mostly thought of it since it'd be good source material for my writingz.

-when I say debate, I mean it devolves into a brawl.

I'm in.
The best person ever.  She should have won the Peace Prize.

What? No full control over children? You do realize that some of us have particular plans for those children.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #671 on: December 23, 2009, 03:15:09 am »

-when I say debate, I mean it devolves into a brawl. an interstellar clusterpork.

Fixed.

Awesome idea, by the way. 8)

I have a similar idea, actually. Though, the reason for the war is a bit different.

Offline bad Karma

• Phoenix Fighter
  • It's not me, it's you. I'm not sorry.
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: December 31, 2009, 07:37:09 am »
With the following post, I will make myself a genius or a babbling fool.

I was wondering, Would an RP based on hell be a good idea?

Well, not the hell you think of. This hell:

"An infinate desert, shacks, homes, planes and wreckage sprawled across the landscape. Some fimilier, some not. and in the distance, a massive scrapyard. Not really a scrapyard, but a stronghold 1,000 miles wide. safer than the outskirts, due to the magical gems built into it. Welcome to Dis."

The idea is some petty crinimals (Shoplifters, e.t.c) try to leave hell by taking a trek to the far outerskirts of hell, While a vigilante(villian, could be several) tries to turn such a place into the hell everyone thought it was: Chaos, torture, misery.

There are, however, demons who roam the dunes, torturing their victims the best they can. (People are already dead, so they can't die, only heal very quickly and they uh, feel pain... and go into shock.)

And as for the scrap? Well, crash a car, you go into hell with a car, it's as simple as that.

wow, needed to get that idea off my chest, lol.

Offline Gnoll

• Track and Field Jock
  • Grrrrr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: December 31, 2009, 07:41:56 am »
That'd be awesome. But what about the kid who never did anything and doesn't know why they're there?
Who are you again and why in the world would you expect anything resembling rationality or civility in youtube comments?

Offline Snork

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Do I care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: December 31, 2009, 07:43:10 am »
Nice Idea, your interpretation of Hell is quite interesting ;) I'll follow this RP if you decide to start it.
Quote from: Orc Creation Story.
Stop rolling like pigs amongst the faeces and get out of the way of my sunlight, you stupid f***ers.
Jawless women and their fine, fine feet