Author Topic: Mary mary, how does your garden grow?  (Read 3958 times)

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
Mary mary, how does your garden grow?
« on: August 26, 2006, 07:01:28 am »
This is a thread all about plants.  I think plants are quite interesting and are taking far too distant a back seat to creatures here.  First, how do plants grow across the planet?  How is the ratio of plant A to plant B determined?  What is the plant density?

First Problem = plant dispersal

There are a few ways they could handle populating plants onto a planet, here are some ways they could do it, not including pollination but just plant engineering.

1)  Easiest (and lamest) way:  When you come out of the plant editor that plant is now populated across your planet at random intervals, and/or it populates unexplored areas.

2)  bad way:  The plants you design can be placed anywhere but won't grow on their own.

3a)  The plants you design can be placed anywhere, after which they will start appearing in random areas.

4a)  Plants you design can be placed anywhere and they begin growing radially out from the mother plant that you placed down.

I seriously think that the editor should allow plants to spread in different ways.  Fruiting plants aren't going to travel far quickly, but flowering seeds (dandelions, thistles) will be able to spread very far when reproducing.

Second Problem = Plant Ratio

Plants compete with each other the same way animals do.  Plants steal resources, hoarde resources and kill other plants.  All plants need sunlight and water, so plants with broader leaves should kill other plants if they're taller than the other, plants that group together will kill plants that grow beneath them (both because they block the sunlight.  Vine plants can choke off branches, stems and leaves to stop the water flow or to kill leaves, hence killing the other plant.  I think that plants, just like animals, should be engaged in a constant survival of the fittest (unless tended by the player so that no "enemy" plants can harm our plant).

Third Problem = Plant Density

I seriously hope that we can have forests and not just random plants here and there.  I want to be able to group large amounts of plants together to create vast brush feilds or canopied jungles.

Anybody else have thoughts on plants, their uses and problems and things they hope will be possible?

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
Re: Mary mary, how does your garden grow?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 07:08:56 am »
With cocal shells and turtle bells, and daiseys all in a row.

Offline dvalladt

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 07:21:42 am »
Will marihuana plants be the walking penis of the flora creator?

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 07:27:38 am »
that was in a different topic but I think that plants should have affects when you eat them. Things like nutrition (good, none, damaging) and toxins (healing, damaging, toxic effects like stimulation and poison)

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006, 07:36:43 am »
Where are 3b and 4b? 4a sounds the most likely. As to plant density, it depends on the size of the planet. We've seen random dispersals of it in Wills planets but always close together like small forests.
Axel's Playground - Come see what I'm playing with today.

Offline SpaceOddity

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Europan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2006, 08:01:34 am »
..and with large and small ones. I hope the small ones are young ones that will grow in time. If that is the case what happens to the large, older ones, will they fall or disappear? Be eaten by elephant like herbivores? I'm not sure but by the looks of the demos there are just two types of plants (tree-like and grass-like). I do hope that was just to make the demo easier to program. I really hope this can be a bit more diverse, like you would need for all options save the first. Hmmm, actually this may very well be the way it'll work. Let's hope not! Next to making a zoo planet, I would love to make a botanical garden planet too.
<<<< Click to enter.

Offline dafool

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2006, 08:39:26 am »
As for the densitiy, I suspect certain areas will probably be more forest like, with many more in a small area. Maybe large flat areas can have dense foliage and slopes on mountains have less. I would think that the plants you make will probably be randomly distributed around the world. Because A, most people wont want to go around placing individual plants and B, I doubt that plants grow. With as much stuff in it at this time I think something a little better than plants growing has taken it's place.

Offline munchkin5

• Punch-Out Champ
  • Gentlemen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2006, 09:40:46 am »
do you think it would be posible to get plants that eat you like flytraps but bigger ???

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2006, 09:49:52 am »
I'm going to assume the ratio will be worked out by how fit the plant is to survive, if you make some sort of superweed it'll probably take over the planet, but if you make some something like an orchid, which is very fragile outside it's own habitat, it'll last about 5 minutes.

/adds "Superweed" to "Ways to wipe out Penismen"

I wonder how big the trees can be? It would be rather cool to introduce flying-squirrels to a planet with mountain-sized trees.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline dafool

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2006, 10:14:45 am »
Oh I never thought of giant trees. That would actually make a planet look very cool to have giant forest that can be seen from space. I'll have to put that down on my list of things to create. But, then I will need giant beavers to dam my rivers.

Offline andrewcool

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2006, 10:53:20 am »
Oh I never thought of giant trees. That would actually make a planet look very cool to have giant forest that can be seen from space. I'll have to put that down on my list of things to create. But, then I will need giant beavers to dam my rivers.
And gaint creatures so the beavers willn't eat you if your a small creature.

Offline Gungnir

• Wild Gunman Gangster
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2006, 11:02:09 am »
But the beavers can't go in the water to dam up the rivers because of the lack of water creatures/swimming.

booooooooo...
They're collectible! Sorta...

Offline dafool

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2006, 12:00:33 pm »
But the beavers can't go in the water to dam up the rivers because of the lack of water creatures/swimming.

booooooooo...

Booooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!
*Explodes because the entire giant beaveryness stuff just died a horrible death*

Offline SpaceOddity

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Europan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2006, 01:39:38 pm »
Hmm, rivers are quite blatantly absent as well.
<<<< Click to enter.