Author Topic: Most Humiliating Defeat\Death\Game Over etc.  (Read 17611 times)

Offline Gauphastus

• Space Harrier
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
Re: Most Humiliating Defeat\Death\Game Over etc.
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2005, 02:16:14 pm »
I've had a few instances of playing FPS games and forgetting i'm running round with a weapon that was rather explosive capabilities as i run along someone pops out of a coridor right in front of me my 1st instinct is to shoot forgoting that I am firing a gragade launcher/rocket luncher what ever at point blank range needless to say there were no survivors.

Exactly. Unreal Tournament, with a redeemer. Some stupid fool teammate would run in front of me at the exact moment I would fire.
Always.
That's not really the most. I'm still trying to figure it out. Humiliation is a strong feeling.

To speak for my friend, he first thought the redeemer was a kamikaze weapon.
Find out that it was actually a missile launcher... priceless. Laughed for a while.
At him I mean.
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Golgrig

• Star Castle Cadet
  • I am Will Wright's complete lack of suprise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2005, 08:29:29 pm »
humiliating death-

getting owned i halo 2 8 times by a camper with a rocket launcher- revege was mine in time- i triped him on the way to a spawn

most fun death-

base jumping from the empire state building in spiderman 2
(swan dive into the sidewalk at 290 mph)
"6.4 Um's per minute" or "The Speed of Wright

An adventurer in the land of who gives a ****

The idea is to mix one ingredient that will burn very fast with a second ingredient that will supply enough oxygen for that burning. This burns so fast, it's an explosion.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2005, 09:54:25 am »
Funniest death ever... was showing my g/f how in GTA3 you could line up tanks and get them to explode in a line once the first one blew up. I did the tank cheat like 20 times, but didn't move, so they all piled up on top of each other. So, I'm running down the hill so I can get a shot off with the rocket launcher, and just as I turn around, *splat* - a tank, which must have fallen off the top and rolled down the hill, absolutely creamed me.

Damn, we couldn't stop laughing for about an hour! Funniest. Death. Ever.

Then, there was the GTA comedy death contest which we devised afterward... did you know tanks can fly?

Offline Golgrig

• Star Castle Cadet
  • I am Will Wright's complete lack of suprise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2005, 10:00:52 am »
fond memories of blue hell... i fly tanks in vice alot but san is hard since the view is locked to the turret

low grav/ reverse turret/ invincible cars/ step on it and keep firing away!

just got Destroy all Humans recently... Tk majestic cars into a giant pile and disentegrate away.... BOOM!
or get a whole bunch of enemies in one spot and fire off a sonic pulse ;D
"6.4 Um's per minute" or "The Speed of Wright

An adventurer in the land of who gives a ****

The idea is to mix one ingredient that will burn very fast with a second ingredient that will supply enough oxygen for that burning. This burns so fast, it's an explosion.

Offline merridian

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2005, 01:46:45 pm »
Playing C&C red alert with a mate, we took some time building up armies and pur base we decided to do an olde style battle by meeting at a pre-defined spot on the map and just rush our armies at each other. So we have tanks just out of firing range lined up and men waiting when BOOM, my mate drops a nuke on my men killing them all then rushes at me, in the initial confusion of losing my infantry he got a head start but i managed to beat him back, he didnt have as many units as i did. And i found out why when i got to his base. He had gun turrets set 5 deep around his base of course what was left of my army was totaly dessimated by the turrets, then he moves some tanks he had hidden away into my base which i had left almost totaly undefended, so i quickly sold all my building to at least rob him of the satisfaction of destroying my base then took my remaining units on a run around the map trying to survive as long as possible but eventually the last infantry man was surounded by tanks and stomped on.
FATE DOESN'T HANG ON A WRONG OR RIGHT CHOICE, FORTUNE DEPENDS ON THE TONE OF THE VOICE

Offline Everseen

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2005, 08:54:43 pm »
My most humilating would be in Rome Total War, after winning a battle and starting the mop up, my general was killed by a bunch of routing peasants... :-\

Offline sgore

• Boulder Dasher
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2005, 06:37:24 am »
I have tried this so many times...
In the Terren Campaign in starcraft there's a scenerio where you have to survive for 15 minutes. just 15 minutes... The first time i played it i didn't know what to expect so i took it easy. Figured i'd just stay where i was and casually make units... every once in a while a zerg creature would come in and attack but ussually i would over come it. I kept thinking, "I can do this, this is easy!"

then about 10 minutes in, a huge barrage of zergs just comes and keep coming and it was just sad. I kept putting up as much defence as i possibly could and getting my butt whupped.
Every time i've played i keep trying harder and harder, making more units, putting them at stratigic defence points. eigther way i still get killed horribly.
The last unit was ussually defeated with about 3 minutes left on the clock.
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline zaphod

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Didn't yah hear, I come in 6 packs.
    • View Profile
    • Me and my wifes little blog
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2005, 07:03:06 am »
I have tried this so many times...
In the Terren Campaign in starcraft there's a scenerio where you have to survive for 15 minutes. just 15 minutes... The first time i played it i didn't know what to expect so i took it easy. Figured i'd just stay where i was and casually make units... every once in a while a zerg creature would come in and attack but ussually i would over come it. I kept thinking, "I can do this, this is easy!"

then about 10 minutes in, a huge barrage of zergs just comes and keep coming and it was just sad. I kept putting up as much defence as i possibly could and getting my butt whupped.
Every time i've played i keep trying harder and harder, making more units, putting them at stratigic defence points. eigther way i still get killed horribly.
The last unit was ussually defeated with about 3 minutes left on the clock.

Wow, sounds like you had a lot of trouble with that map.  Did you not put your Marines and Firebats into the bunkers?  Also, when they come rushing in have your building take off.  That has saved me a couple of times.

Offline sgore

• Boulder Dasher
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2005, 04:02:20 pm »
I've tried bunkers...
And I try lifting off every time when they swarm in but my buildings rapidly take damage and i end up losing...
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline zaphod

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Didn't yah hear, I come in 6 packs.
    • View Profile
    • Me and my wifes little blog
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2005, 06:26:00 am »
I've tried bunkers...
And I try lifting off every time when they swarm in but my buildings rapidly take damage and i end up losing...

Ok, then just do what I do and pump out massive amounts of maries.  Or you could do the opposite of waiting and take the fight to the Zerg.  I've managed to take all of them out before the game ended.

Offline Psilontech

• Mystery House Madman
  • SCIENCE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2005, 02:22:58 pm »
 :o

Not only do you have to build marines and firebats, but you also have to build:

Bunkers: To shelter your units while they slaughter the zerg
Turrets: To blow away those annoying flying zerg
SUV's!: To get more minerals/gas so that you can build more marines/firebats/bunkers/turrets!

Build 2 or 3 of those bike things (I forgot what they are called!) and load the bridges down with loosely concentrated land mines (You don't want 2 or three going off to kill a single zergling, do ya?)

As for attacking, just go in with massive numbers, marine/firebat ratio about 3/1.
"Whatever Febreeze can't fix, a gun will"

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2005, 11:24:52 am »
You have no idea how much i wanted to see that movie and you f**king ruined it. I'm f**king mad, not an a**hole. You put the spoiler in a thread that has NOTHING at all to do with it. You didn't even label that it was a spoiler, it came out of the blue. honestly man, didn't you atleast think that someone might have not seen the movie and get pist? use common sense...

there should be a rule against posting spoilers, because honestly, thats f**ked up

*SPOILER WARNING*
Santa Claus isn't real. Your parents leave money under your pillow, not the tooth fairy. Dinosaurs no longer exist on Earth. Blah blah blah, other obvious stuff.
*SPOILER WARNING*

[shadow=GREY,RIGHT] SPOILER WARNING[/shadow]
« Last Edit: August 21, 2005, 11:28:46 am by B-ROD »

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2005, 06:14:16 pm »
Many sad deaths come from the sims, like getting electrocuted while fixing something, or in the first one, having your wife burn to death by a careless genie who set the bed on fire (hmm... that doesn't quite sound right)
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2005, 10:40:15 am »
ehehehe

The best thing to do in the sims is to put one character in a room with no doors and one stove >:( ;D >:( ;D
I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2005, 11:00:00 am »
I have one ... I might have even talked about this in a podcast.

In the game Karateka you have to fight a freaking horde of bad guys in order to "rescue the girl at the end". One of the first fighting games ever made it looked and played amazingly well, but you couldn't save your progress. This was way back in 1986 where you had to play and finish your games in one sitting.

Anyhow after you managed you fight through a horde of bad guys, kill the boss and his damn falcon (that was a freaking pain), you finally got to the "girl at the end". Now when you get to the end of the game what do you do? You run up to her of course! So why oh why did the programmers put in the following death?

If you ran up to the girl or approached her in fighting stance she would give you a swift kick to the gonads and down you would go! Oh yeah, and game over. Nice. I can still remember the shock I had when this first happened to me over 19 years ago. Of course if you just walked over to her (the "walk" key, who ever uses that?) then you would actually win the game.

Thank god I have never seen anyone else do something like this since. Well, expect for Banjo Kazooie, that sort of had a trick ending.
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve