Author Topic: do you have to upload stuff?  (Read 6018 times)

Offline qyasogk

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: do you have to upload stuff?
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2006, 08:57:27 pm »
that doesn't make sense either though. the whole point is that the uploading and downloading is happening all the time, everything you make is available to everyone else, and vice versa without the step of having to manually upload it to a server. the files are supposed to be so small, that it would be impossible to "spam" the server. and as the "ownership" of the creations are the creators, not the facillitators, i don't even see how copyright plays an issue. i can draw a picture of spiderman, and i own the copyright to my drawing without infringing on the copyright of Stan Lee.

what is amazing is how successful the corporate pR machine has successfully frightened everyone here into compliance over an issue that is still very much hypothetical. it's my understanding that City of Heroes is involved in a legal battle over this situation right now, and in all likelihood is going to win, i hope...

read this article, it sums up what i hope the issue comes down to, and what i hope doesn't happen to Spore:
http://www.law.com/jsp/ltn/pubArticleLTN.jsp?id=1101738495797

Offline qyasogk

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: do you have to upload stuff?
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2006, 12:45:55 pm »
well it seems that a large part of the case was thrown out in favor of the game company, and that the copyright holders quickly settled the case to avoid a slamming in the courts. so it would seem that Maxis and EA are not in danger of liability if one of the players of Spore create something a corporation claims to "own".
(anything they haven't tried to own lately?)