Author Topic: do you have to upload stuff?  (Read 6020 times)

Offline vonboy

• Centipede Crackerjack
  • the tiniest evil thing known to man and willosaurs
    • View Profile
do you have to upload stuff?
« on: April 09, 2006, 09:35:19 am »
when you make your own custom made creature, building, vihicle, ect. do you have to upload them onto the server, or will it be like ack you when you make it if you wanna upload it or not. i just don't wanna get yelled at, banned for making copy-righted stuff in my game and screwing around with them.

Quote from: ilikedirt
your spores are wack

Fatal Error: You're creature is crap. You're computer will now explode.

check out my sporepedia page!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/vonboy

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
Re: do you have to upload stuff?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 09:48:03 am »
If you don't want to up/down load stuff dont connect the internet.

Why would anyone care if you had copyrighted creatures (Pokemon, diney characters) or teh land of teh walking nobs. We can blow them up anyway.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline Daroh

• Breakout Battler
  • Quapura
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 09:57:16 am »
I'm more concerned on the criteria of uploading stuff... will it upload whenever you evolve your creature? thus sending about 5 different variations of the same creature to the server? or will it be entirely optional when you want to upload?
Because quite frankly, I wouldn't want to upload versions of my creature that are highly under developed when it should be a lot further evolved.
Surely this would spam up their servers?

Offline vonboy

• Centipede Crackerjack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 09:59:47 am »
well if they did that, then the underdeveloped ones could just be someones elses easy prey.
your spores are wack

Offline Caltrop

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2006, 10:01:05 am »
I'm more concerned on the criteria of uploading stuff... will it upload whenever you evolve your creature? thus sending about 5 different variations of the same creature to the server? or will it be entirely optional when you want to upload?
Because quite frankly, I wouldn't want to upload versions of my creature that are highly under developed when it should be a lot further evolved.
Surely this would spam up their servers?

It would most probably update your creature's file. Then this updated creature would be the only version downloaded into other games. Also, as some have already suggested, this might also update your creature in games where previous versions were already downloaded. We aren't sure though, yet.
Spore RPG: http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=2069.0

STRAWBERRYCLOCK IS KING OF THE PORTAL

Offline GCool

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2006, 11:04:47 am »
What I think would be best, and thus probably what they're gonna do, is allow you you turn on/off automatic uploading/downloading, but still allow you to upload what and when you want to, and download what and when you want to.

Also, for evolution, I would like to see something like this:

As you make your creature, each evolution stage is saved into its memory. When you download a creature, you are downloading its whole evolution, meening you can watch it evolve. It also meens there wouldn't be multiple ones running around.
However, I would like to be able to upload a creature when I want to, and choose wether to overwrite it or not, so I could upload my creature as a non-sentiant AND a sentiant...

Offline Mason11987

• Rally-X Roadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2006, 03:46:23 pm »
I'm pretty sure uploading and downloading is optional, but when you decided to opt-in you won't have much of any control of the uploading and only minor control of the downloading (friends list gets preferences for instance).
My Sporepedia page: http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Mason11987
On GS: http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=12609.0

Maxis and Spore - Bringing your imagination to life:

Offline LucasUP

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • Cheese Is God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2006, 03:51:29 pm »
No one can know if this will be a feature or not. But I hope there will be some way to selectivly disallow certain things from being uploaded, such as copyrighted content, so you don't have to worry about being banned from uploading, but still have the ability to make whatever you want.
The glass is not half full or half empty. It is both.

Offline vonboy

• Centipede Crackerjack
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2006, 05:39:28 pm »
and what if you get banned bacause the origial creature you created looks exactly like some monster from some game, movie or whatever that you never even heard of :o? it kinda makes me scared of uploading in a way.
your spores are wack

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2006, 05:41:31 pm »
You can't get banned. Any copyrighted creature would probably just get deleted. Everyone will probably be making some, so they aren't gonna ban 'em all.
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

Offline LucasUP

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • Cheese Is God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2006, 05:42:48 pm »
Acording to reports from the GDC conferances, you WILL BE ABLE TO BE BANNED from uploading content if you make/upload copyrighted/mature/innapropriate content...
or at least for innapropraite content, they may not go to the extremes of banning for copyrighted stuff... but either way... a optional upload thing would be a good idea.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 05:44:47 pm by LucasUP »

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2006, 05:44:46 pm »
Acording to reports from the GDC conferances, you WILL BE ABLE TO BE BANNED from uploading content if you make/upload copyrighted/mature/innapropriate content

Oh? And where?
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

Offline Fobok

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2006, 05:51:10 pm »
Acording to reports from the GDC conferances, you WILL BE ABLE TO BE BANNED from uploading content if you make/upload copyrighted/mature/innapropriate content

Oh? And where?

I think it was mentioned in the episode 45 podcast here.

Offline LucasUP

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • Cheese Is God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2006, 05:55:52 pm »
Yeah, Gaming Steve himself was talking about it in the podcast, I cant seem to find a link to a website which was talking about it though.

Offline Stromko

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2006, 06:32:05 pm »
They'll need to have some patience for inappropriate creatures because some people will either upload them without knowing it's not allowed, or they'll upload something that they had no idea was copyrighted(like maybe it's from some comicbook they've never heard of), or maybe they had no idea that from a certain angle their creature looked like a walking vagina? Also I'm sure plenty of kids are going to play Spore and oftentimes will be even more likely to stumble into these pitfalls.

I think it's pretty likely that creatures will only be uploaded when they're 'finished' (reached the UFO stage). This will probably cut down drastically on the number of creatures that just weren't interesting enough to play to the end.