Author Topic: Steve: Your thoughts on Will Wright  (Read 12406 times)

Offline Zorlac

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
    • Sporewiki
Re: Steve: Your thoughts on Will Wright
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2006, 01:12:22 am »
If Will made a donation to the sperm bank, you think someone would pay top dollar for it?

Offline Tantalus

• Bezerk Brawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2006, 01:19:17 am »
If Will made a donation to the sperm bank, you think someone would pay top dollar for it?

Depends, if they want brains yes, if they want looks no, if they want a combo of both maybe.

Offline Glacies

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2006, 02:08:47 pm »
Freaks. Do you wan't to scare Wright off that badly, you fools?! :-[ How the hell do ya' say things like that?! KEEP-YOUR-MOUTH- :-X!

Oh, and now I have five levels in the blackguard prestige class. Hehheh. I rock.

Offline Pinstar

• Ultima Lord
  • Your friendly neighborhood Teralyte
    • View Profile
    • The Legacy Challenge
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2006, 02:34:03 pm »
What do you think of him as a developer and speaker? Does he seem to hype his game up a lot like Molyneux or is he laid back and professional?

Very simple, brilliant beyond belief. Let's cover each shall we?

As a public speaker Will Wright has no equal. When you watch Molyneux speak he gets extremely excited, his face lights up, and he is fully committed to what he's talking about. This then gives you the impression that you are watching something amazing as well and can make you excited about what you're watching as well ... but this is more a straight "sales" technique which I have seen others do before just as well. Molyneux is quite brilliant, but as I have said before he seems to be sort of losing it these last few years. My "final straw" with him was at the GDC Game Design Challenge forum where he did nothing at all to prepare. He just took a tech demo, which he ended up showing at another speech, and just showed the audience that as his entry. That, in my opinion, is 100% unacceptable. He didn't do what was required of him as a speaker so he ended up wasting everyone's time.

Will Wright, on the other hand ... how do I explain him? When you watch him speak you realize that this person is not only brilliant but he's actually working on levels way beyond "normal" people. When you watch Molyneux speak, you feel excitement. When you watch Wright speak, you feel sheer brilliance beyond belief, which is 100 times more exciting than Molyneux. Plus Will's presentation technique is so amazing that I have pretty much copied it for my own use (to huge sucuess if I have to say).

First of all, Will always uses slides, but not just slides but tons of slides filled with graphics and often jokes mixed in. No standard Powerpoint for him, I don't think I have ever seen him do a "straight" text slide in my life. By doing this you are always engaged with what he's showing because you never know what's going to come next.

Second, he always "tells a story" during his presentations, he explains how he got to where he's going and it really gets you involved with what he's explaining. Instead of just talking about the topic he engages the entire audience by bringing them along with him on a journey, and it really sucks you into his presentations.

Third, Will always in the middle of his presentation just stops what he's talking about and goes onto another silly subject for a few minutes and then gets back into what he's talking about. Serious, you need to see this to believe it. A few years ago he was talking about The Sims when right in the middle of his presentation he showed everyone a slide of a lama and when into their history for a little while, and then when right back to talking about The Sims like it was no big deal. Not only did he bring the house down with this but it instantly burned a permanent hole in my memory it was so funny and original.

Finally, Will is brilliant. And not just brilliant but like Einstein brilliant. When you hear him speak you realize that you are listening to a "true master" and you want to absorb every single second of what he's saying. And I pretty much guarantee every single time you hear him speak you will hear stuff you not only never heard of before but stuff you probably never even thought of before. And that is what makes Will Wright so damn good at public speaking.

Let me put it like this, at GDC when other people speak (like Molyneux) the room is often crowded and sometimes packed. When Will Wright speaks every single seat is taken, ever single inch of the floor taken, there is not a single inch of space left in the room. And when he's done speaking he gets a huge thundering standing ovation every time. Serious if you ever get the chance to hear him speak do anything and everything to see it, you will never forget it.

Say Steve, would you happen to have a power point presentation from Will? I dont' care what subject it's on. I could really use a physical example of Will's presentation style, possibly to adapt it into my personal business world. (Which, is why I haven't been on the boards in ages, a RL job is much more time demanding than college)
Creator of the Legacy Challenge

Visit my spore page!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Pinstar
Ratings and comments on all my creatures are always welcome!

Visit my Minicity
http://pinstar.myminicity.com