Author Topic: Dystopian Novels  (Read 15496 times)

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
Dystopian Novels
« on: February 17, 2008, 12:40:35 pm »
1984, Anthem (ok, it's a novella), The Giver...

I really like this genre, however, for some reason I can't find many books in it. 1984, I think, is one of the best known ones in it. I'm considering reading either fountainhead or atlas shrugged, but I'm really not sure what they're about.
Any suggestions?

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
Re: Dystopian Novels
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 02:02:29 pm »
Brave New World is really good, The Children of Men is also pretty good.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 03:28:20 pm »
I have no idea if any of these are any good, but here is a list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dystopian_literature

Offline Little

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • I'm a drunk...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 09:01:29 pm »
I've read Children of Men.

It was really good, but seemed kind of incomplete. It had a good ending, but I want to know what happened after!
The best person ever.  She should have won the Peace Prize.

What? No full control over children? You do realize that some of us have particular plans for those children.

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 09:33:43 am »
I heartily reccomend A Clockwork Orange.

If you can get a hold of a copy where you are, as it was banned for a long time.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 10:49:52 am »
I heartily reccomend A Clockwork Orange.

If you can get a hold of a copy where you are, as it was banned for a long time.

If you are European, you can get it rather cheap from Play. To my knowledge it is uncensored.

So many books to read, so little time.

PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 01:36:41 pm »
May I ask why this book is censored/banned?

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 02:33:21 pm »
May I ask why this book is censored/banned?

My guess is the language and violence as well as the sexual content probably did it. I don't know for certain though, I am just basing this on what I know about the book. Mr. Consideration probably knows more.

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 09:26:54 pm »
A Clockwork Orange was great, though I'd imagine it would be hell to read. They use a little of Russian slang, and if it weren't for my knowing Polish I would have had a really rough time deciphering it. But it was really good, so I'd recommend that. However, the central theme of the book was more of violence vs. obedience, which you'd probably have to read the book to see what I'm getting at. (SPOILER: Should citizens sacrifice their emotions and humanity, good or bad, and be nothing but a "Clockwork Orange", or should we place no limits on our emotions?)

The title pretty much gives the book away, though.

As for Atlas Shrugged, I never read the whole thing, but if you have the time, go for it. Ayn Rand discusses her Objectivist (?) philosophies in it with a storyline most of us wish to relate to.

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 08:37:18 am »
The book was banned (In the UK, anyway) because of groups of people going around and imitating Alex's antics. It also features rape and alot of violence.

The NadSat is confusing at first, but towards the end you actually end up understanding most of it.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 01:29:07 pm »
I have been searching for a while and I can't find any mention of the book being banned. The movie was, at Kubrick's request, but that is an entirely different matter. There were some local libraries that refused to stock it but that is hardly a ban.

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 01:54:36 pm »
Perhaps I'm getting it confused with the Movie. I just remember it being one of The Guardian's 'Banned Books' when I was a humble paper boy.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 02:23:00 pm »
Perhaps I'm getting it confused with the Movie. I just remember it being one of The Guardian's 'Banned Books' when I was a humble paper boy.

Reading into it, it is classified as a Banned Book (at least in the US) because it was banned from several libraries and some people wanted it outright banned. However, I don't think it was ever "really" banned, though there was defiantly an uproar about it.

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2008, 05:30:45 am »
I've just started reading Brave New World after attending a masterclass about Dystopia at a local school. I also got a free copy of 1984(To go with my other copy) and Blade Runner (The movie). Hurrah, Big Brother has rewraded my diligence!

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2008, 03:59:03 am »
Indeed comrade, Big Brother has rewarded your continued success with these books. Of course you realize we had to take out everything that might excite revolution, so you are getting the bare bones versions.