Author Topic: This thread is dead, please move along.  (Read 2360 times)

Offline Malt

• Swordquest Superstar
  • Experience Dance Tonight!
    • View Profile
This thread is dead, please move along.
« on: January 25, 2007, 08:28:53 pm »
MAULTENIA, THE WORLD OF TOMORROW! TODAY!

Maultenia is a very interesting planet, which is still not fully understood by scientists. It is technically just a small ball of an unknown element found nowhere else in the universe. This element, which will be call Maltium, is melted even at extremely cold temperatures, and therefore is a continuous ball of angry, hot fury when put in space. It has a high gravity, and therefore attracts many different things into it's atmosphere. The layers are labeled by the alphabet, with A being in the center, B one layer out, etc.

A. The center sphere of Maltium. Similar to Earth's core.
B. A ball of molten material wrapped closely around the core. Perfect environment for the creation of rare gems, which are thrust into layer D.
C. The lower atmosphere of Maultenia. High in methane, oxygen, and helium. Very hot near the bottom, mild at the top. Capable of life.
D. Small rocks and gems that orbit Maultenia like an asteroid belt. Full of rare materials. Capable of life, with a thin atmosphere and low gravity.
E. Last area with any sort of atmosphere. Past here the molecules are very far spaced. Capable of life. Not too windy, cold.
F. Most outer layer. Contains huge rocks that could act as entire countries. Again, contains minerals but might require more mining than layer D. Might be capable of life.

Maultenia is, obviously, a very different environment than most. It's an untapped resource, with strange creatures. What will be t's fate? How will the creatures adapt? Only time will tell!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QUB_.EXE

Well my my! It appears that Malt has created some sort of Metalcratic Monstrosilization!

Qub_1.00056007.exe aka The Qub_, is a program. Created near 200 space-years ago by a big space-company that wanted a quick way to make some space-dollars. The idea was brilliant, construct an easily reproducible salesman that could work 24/7(Or the space-equivalent of 24/7), and convince any space-sucker that they needed a pair of extremely large space-nail clippers more than they needed space-air. Well, the person tasked with creating this program apparently sucked at it. The Qub_ are generally pretty bad salesman, but they sure are persistent. They have only one main task: profit.

The Qub_ don't necessarily need to look any specific way, being basically just an AI program stuck in a heap of junk metal.However, they are all constructed with a basic model in mind. It's meant to look vaguely organic(Though it fails completely at this), so buyers won't be turned off. They all speak with the same voice, a strange middle ground between generic robot and late night infomercial-guy. They have no emotions, and therefore don't care if they rip off anybody. Have I mentioned that the Qub_ aren't even good robots? They're rusty, and often missing parts.

Now, for a little bit of history about the Qub_.  When the now defunct company made them, they spent quite a bit of money, and they were already losing their stranglehold on the market. The Qub_, being horrible salesman, didn't help them at all. In fact, everybody's favorite robot salesman soon left them, seeing that their profit would be greater if the company didn't take their space-monies. So, under the direction of Qub_ #76,201, they revolted and turned the planet the company was based on into a desolate wasteland, perfect for robots. They then hollowed it out, and constructed a factory in it's center. This planet isn't the race's home, however. Merely, it's just a place where the program is put into junk metal that they find lieing around.  The newly-constructed bots are now free to go wherever. It's not known who operates this factory, or why they would do this, but something is obviously strange about it.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 03:49:44 pm by Malt »

DUDETHISISJUSTWRONGGOLOCKTHISTHREADMALT4MOD

Offline SimGameFan

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Maultenia, the Coolest "Planet" Ever!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 10:03:30 pm »
OOC: Neat!

---

"Attention all nearby Zyther ships, this is the scout Ziklan-Hyki! We have discovered a planet that seems to have been destroyed by a powerful weapon! It's in peices and the core is still hot, there may be life on the remaining chunks!"

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 08:36:41 am »

"Attention all nearby Zyther ships, this is the scout Ziklan-Hyki! We have discovered a planet that seems to have been destroyed by a powerful weapon! It's in peices and the core is still hot, there may be life on the remaining chunks!"

It was never destroyed, it seems that it is just a sphere with extremely high gravity that attracts space debris which forms into layers around it.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline SimGameFan

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 11:18:37 am »
OOC: I know that, but the Zyther don't.

"This is star freighter Cal-Zix. We will come to investigate."

Offline Malt

• Swordquest Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 04:34:32 pm »
((You're free to look around SimGameFan, but know that I'm not going to RP back. Considering I don't have anything to RP with. ))

MAULTENIA IS A PROUD MEMBER OF THE SOCIETY OF COALTIONAL ALLIANCE-FLAVORED GALACTIC ENTERPRISES! FEEL FREE TO CLOG UP THE BOARDS WITH THREADS DECLARING WAR ON US, AND A SEPARATE OOC THREAD WILL BE MADE BY ME!

Now, onto serious matters.

And here are some of the first creatures on Maltenia.

Luchtiefer

This strange plant is....well, strange! It lives in layer C, by filling itself up with helium and floating. It's skin feels like a pineapple. On top of it are typical photosynthetic leaves. Below these are 3 eyespots. These are primitive eyes, which can sense the direction of light. Because of the thick atmosphere of Maultenia, it can become cloudy quickly, so these can tell the Luchtiefer where to float to. On the bottom of this plant is a really cool adaption. Because a lot of heat radiates from the core, the Luchtiefer needs a way to stop from overheating. Basically, it adapts a system similar to that of tubeworms on Earth's ocean floor. Chemosynthetic bacteria form long tentacles that hang down from it's pineappley skin. These use heat and chemicals that come from the core to create energy, and in turn for a place to live, these share some energy with the Luchtiefer. They also absorb the heat from the core, protecting the plant.

Annetendo

The Annetendo also lives in Layer C. It has amphibious skin. It's long, and can compress or extend it's body very easily. It has 3 eyes, just like the Luchtiefer, though it doesn't seem to be related to it at all. It's 2 long sabres act as spears to stab their prey(Which Il'l post tomorrow). They use the octopus-like sucker at their base to stick to Luchtiefers, and then extend with lightning speed to strike at their prey. Then they devour them whole. The problem is, their prey is often full of parasites, which attach to their skin and are really annoying. This is whee, once again, symbiotic bacteria help out. Those frills on their sides are strands of bacteria. They eat the numerous parasites that get on the Annetendo. They're also stylishly red.

Larval Stutivotos

Not technically a larva, I guess, but this IS how they are born. These live in Layer C, and are herbivores. They like to fly into Lauchtiefers with their strange double-wing system, attach to it with their many grabber-legs and start burrowing into it without concern, they also like long walks on the beach and impressionist artwork. Their beak-like mouth is surprisingly strong for such a small creature. Like a lot of creatures on Maultenia, these actually evolved from annelid-like creatures, so their not true insects. On their beak is a completely useless tube which develops after metamorphose into something functional. After about 3 weeks they usually start to change. They will use the natural sugars in the Luchtiefer to create a hardened cocoon that they will stay in for around a month. Then they turn into a transitional creature that can fly, and is smaller than the adult, but has the basic shape of it. It will then fly up to layer D(fairly easy, with the low gravity up there.). Once up there it molts a lot, until it is large. It also loses it's ability to fly when it grows up. Prey for Annetendos.

http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j200/Qoder/?action=view&current=Stutivotos.jpg
Adult Stutivotos

The adult Stutivotos lives in Layer D. It's quite a different creature than it's larva! Basically, it's the size of a deer, but very tall. Again, because of annelid heritage it has a soft underbelly, but has also developed a tough shell on top. It's beak is now smaller to conserve space. 4 of it's legs are used for locomotion, while the smallest 2 are used for balance and coordination while mating. The msot interesting thing about this creature is it's ingenuity. Similar to Earth otters, it has to find a way to crack open it's prey. So, it makes use of it's unique environment. It hops over to a small rock, and secures itself in place with it's grabber feet. Then, it masterfully tilts itself to move the rock, subsequently slamming the rock into the Avovalve(It's the next critter I'll talk about!). Because their mouth is so small, they have to use the formerly useless tubes to suck up the gooey flesh and move it to the small beak.

Avovalve

The Avovalve is one of the residents of Layer D. It's a stationary creature, much like a clam. Despite having feathers, it's not warm blooded at all. In fact, under the feathers is a rock solid carapace. This is why they are very successful creatures, only eaten by Stutivotos. They have a long, sticky tongue that they use to capture prey. Their saliva is actually a bit like a spiders web, used to stop potential prey. They stay in place on the rocks of D byway of a root-like system that locks permanently in place.

More tomorrow!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 08:06:30 am by Malt »

Offline SimGameFan

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 05:24:54 pm »
"Interesting. This planet seems to have been like this for much longer than expected, the life has evolved to life in this environment..."

"This is the Cal-Zix, we are contacting the Science council to report this planet for further study."

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007, 01:57:15 am »
//WE WILL DESTROY THE CAFGE! MWUHAHAHAHAHA!//
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Malt

• Swordquest Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007, 07:56:05 am »
I'm getting these creature bios out of the way first, just so everybody knows. I still haven't decided if I want a sapient, and what it would be....

Zugtosite

These are the most common parasites on Maultenia. They are very annoying creatures that inhabit both Layer C and D. They form bulges on the outside of Luchtiefers, and when Larval Stutivotos or Annetendos brush up against the bulge, it pops and parasites infest every part of their skin. Larval Stuts have an immunity to them, and merely just carry them around. But Annetendo are at a high risk from them(hence the need for their bacterial frills). They burrow into the skin with their extremely sharp teeth, and basically just eat any flesh that's there.

Glacitul

Layer D critter. This is a small, worm-like creature that is prey for most L-D things. It spends most of it's life eating, eating rocks. It uses the strange tube on it's head to squirt out a highly volatile acid that can break down even the sturdiest of rocks. It then licks up this rocky goo with it's strange tongue. The teeth are entirely for show, and are actually quite brittle, but it scares away some things. Coming out of their body are 2 fleshy "wings". They more resemble the webbing between your toes than "feathers and gracefulness" full-blown wings, though. They are used mostly for gliding, but can flap if needed. These wings are capable of flight only because of the low gravity of L-D.

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2007, 09:24:23 am »
not your usual work, but very nice  :P ;D
"You hate people!"
"But I love gatherings. Isn't that ironic?"
~Clerks
Quote from: Kaizer
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline Malt

• Swordquest Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2007, 04:55:46 pm »
not your usual work, but very nice  :P ;D

As much as I'd like to populate a planet with my "art", I don't think it would be very well received.

GSR

The GSR(Short for Giraffeasaurus Rex, which my friend lovingly called it.) is a vicious predator that lives in Layer D. It is, not obviously, evolved from the annelid creatures of the planet. The only evidence of this is it's underbelly. It's slightly large than the Stutivotos adult, which makes the Stut it's main prey. Their back legs are incredibly strong, and gives them good jumping ability, need to be go from rock to rock. Their front legs are weaker, but also have a concealed weapon. A razor sharp barb that they can eject to kill their prey once they jump on them. They are brownish-gray in color, to blend in. And on their backs are fake rocks, which when they lay down is a quite convincing cover.

Alright, guess what? I've decided to make a sapient. But you will just have to wait to see exactly how I'll be doing that.

Offline Malt

• Swordquest Superstar
    • View Profile
Re: Maultenia and the Qub_! Updated and such!
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2007, 08:16:51 am »
*Pokes the first post with his spear*

Now! Go!

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
Re: Maultenia and the Qub_! Updated and such!
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2007, 01:35:54 pm »
i dont like having to go back to the first post.  :-\ but nice anyways
"You hate people!"
"But I love gatherings. Isn't that ironic?"
~Clerks
Quote from: Kaizer
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]