Author Topic: For Caryl: What we DO like about Spore  (Read 20991 times)

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
Re: For Caryl: What we DO like about Spore
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2008, 01:10:00 pm »
Well, the pirates are really my only complaint, and for now I'm just going to ignore them as the money cheat bypasses any money lost from them. I would still like a way to turn them off :P

Then I can pay more attention to terraforming, exploring, and planet-sculpting, with some missions on the side.

Offline Veraal

• Zelda Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2008, 01:10:55 pm »
Let's never whine about anything again guys :')

this is so emotional!

where's Yttrxium? he's always present in situations like these.

Offline Rusted

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2008, 01:20:41 pm »
I love the scope.  You see all the demos and you think it's hype.  Then that first time you play you zoom in from space and you watch each and every one of the stars take form out of this cloud of white, you swing your mouse to look in another direction, any direction, and as far as you can see there are stars, infinite in variety, each with little worlds that I can approach and customize.  I look at the Spore galaxy and I find myself whisked back to when I was ten years old in a musty library, waiting for my mother to pick me up after school, and I'm reading every book on space and the universe I can find, my mind unbound by the limitations so many would impose.

Spore has recaptured that sense of awe and inspiration that occasionally makes me, a bitter cynic, smile and just say: This is our cosmos, this is what we, primitive apes from trees, have come to understand to such a level that each and every turn leads us simultaneously to more simplicity and mystery.  And we're able to make it into a playground!

Lucky, despite our complaints, know that most of us are critic's because we do not have the scope, knowledge, or more importantly the drive and dedication that your crew has invested in this project, with every complaint we voice, know it's chalk full of envy and admiration.  At least from me.

(Now can I have the ability to move my inventory  ;D)
Terraforming. 
Turning dirt, forming.
Turning dirt; forming.
Terraforming.

Rusted -Sporepedia Name and Link
PM if you add me, I'll return the favor.

Offline Yannick

• Tetris Tumbler
  • The end is nigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2008, 01:21:14 pm »
I LOVE terraforming and sculpting

"It's only your virginity, loosen up!"

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2008, 01:43:52 pm »
Let's never whine about anything again guys :')
Hey! Lets not go too far here!

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2008, 01:48:30 pm »
I just thought of a couple more things.

I love the tiny details that we often miss. For example.. the other day when I got to space and flew over to my neighboring Gas Giant, this purple streak comes cruising through my solar system. It goes whizzing past my ship and planets, hits the gravity well of the gas giant, and do you know what it does? It changes direction. IT DID A FREAKING SLINGSHOT MANEUVER RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME! What other game can you see something like that happen and have it be just a minor detail.

I love random moments/pictures that make one think about the significance of it all and how such amazing imagery and symbolism can be born from a game. Moments like this:

I love that you guys at Maxis love Spore. It shows in your product and in how you still visit this community after 3-4 years.

I love that Spore actually is almost the perfect platform. I was really a bit skeptical when talk started surfacing about things like Spore TV Shows or Movies.. and Musicals. That Spore would be able to break so many barriers seemed ridiculous. I've always loved the idea of Spore and it's scope and scale but to be honest I didn't think it would be able to cross those barriers. Now I can easily see how it could.
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline Elyanna

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Spore Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2008, 01:57:18 pm »
1. Beautiful graphics, especially in creature and space stage. I assembled a good desktop back in June, partly in anticipation of Spore. I'm glad I did.

2. Less loading screens than the Sims 2. I developed a habit of never going ANYWHERE in Sims 2 because it took 15 minutes to load. Of course, I was playing Sims 2 on a laptop for a long time. Spore has a faster loading time, I think.

3. Creature creator. I buy the creature creator things in the Space stage over and over again just to make a creature and put it on my wildlife sanctuary.

3. Terraforming.

4. Replayability. I've started at least planets. Each is unique. Love it!

5. Scrolling out and seeing the galaxy. Wow!

6. The Grox. Yes, the Grox. I want to destroy them. So I like the seemingly impossible challenge. They've been quiet since I reached the center.. haven't attacked for hours, I think.

7. Creature stage and space stage.
My spore profile: http://www.spore.com/view/profile/elyanna
I like to make plausible creatures.

Offline Ittiz

• Wizard of Wor
  • Horned Hopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2008, 02:07:26 pm »
1: Open ended game play.  There is nothing I love more in a game than to be able to do anything I want.  Reminds me of my days playing Frontier and doing things like landing on gas giants (and even stars) just to see if I had the skill to do it even though the game gave me no reward for doing so.
2: Terraforming.  It's really fun especially to terraform the more challenging planets.
3: Exploring the galaxy.  Again really fun, and the universe is so huge.  And again it reminds me of playing Frontier jumping from system to system exploring systems.
4: The customizability of everything.  Each race has a unique look, culture and style.
5: Sharing.  It's really neat that things I have made are in other people's games.
6: The different lines of play.  Being able to go through the game without being a warmonger is great.  Almost all games with any empire building aspect require to be a warmonger at some point and this game doesn't.
7: And many more, but I would be here all day listing it all!

Offline Great Distance

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 15, 2008, 02:07:59 pm »
Thanks for this thread, all!

Helping restore my faith.

You guys rule.

-caryl

i'd like to thank you for the trip you've taken me through for four years.

it's been great for me, even when the game isn't the perfect piece of game i thought it would be, to get to know this here forum just because of your game. i visit gaming steve every day, and i think i should thank you for this.

I agree! I'd never have found this site without that one time when my brother showed me the GDC 05 video. I just had to find out more about it and when I typed "Spore forum" into Google, Gaming Steve popped up! Nowadays I visit this site and the IRC channel every day and I've already gotten a couple of friends here, who I chat with on MSN regularly.

But the most important thing to me happened when I found out people were already planning and drawing their creatures. I hadn't been drawing regularly for a while, but I was always into it, so I decided to make some fan art and even my own creature that I never updated. But doing so raised my interest once again and I decided to find out more about drawing and read some tutorials on it. I started enjoying making art more. Even to the point I have considered making it a career in the future. So far it's just a dream, but I'm starting to think I could make it. At least I've still got plenty of time to make the dream come true. Or change my mind, if I must.

Spore also gave me another alternative for my career. I don't know if you know about the Sagan 4 project, but that among other Spore-inspired evolution games has gotten me interested in the working mechanisms of nature and biology in general. I did a bit of research for my next Creation Corner creature, and though I never made a thread for it, I learned lots of interesting things about evolution. Now in high school I intend to take a few extra courses on biology and see how it will develop.

When the trial CC came out, it offered me some nice moments in modelling my creatures. 3D is something I would love to explore further, if I just had the time. But I believe the editors in Spore will be just enough to get me started. I look forward to getting the game just for the editors alone, but I won't forget to play the game, either. Right now I don't have time to play it or buy it because of the exams. But even now Spore has already done enough for me gain my respect, whatever its faults may be. Sometimes the journey is more important than the goal itself. Take care.

Offline asurob

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 15, 2008, 02:18:32 pm »
Thanks for this thread, all!

Helping restore my faith.

You guys rule.

-caryl

This all you need to know.  I work in college football (game films)...its my "in" season which means I have little time for anything but get up go to work come home go to bed.  Stupid spore is keeping me up till 2 am playing every night so my coaches are asking why I always look so tired :P...just one more planet to explore...

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #70 on: September 15, 2008, 02:24:35 pm »
Caryl, I don't know who the heck you are or what you do; but, if all of these people here like you, you must be a good person.

I've said a lot about Spore, none of it particularly positive; however, I'm still playing it so that's got to count for something. Most games can't hold me for more than a couple days so you guys must have done something right. The best part is the Sporepedia, I find myself spending quite a lot of my free time looking through it. It's really neat to see what all of the other folks out there have made. While I don't really care all that much for the Spore community, I do like everything else that this forum offers and I've dumped a lot of time into it. I have to thank Spore for bringing me here though.

Offline Noflunk

• Mystery House Madman
  • Why is his head soooo big?
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 15, 2008, 02:27:49 pm »
What I like about Spore is really the "oh wow" moments. My brother and I got spore on the same day and the fact that it gave us something to talk about, laugh about and things that we plan on doing in the future made me very happy. Since we live on opposite coasts (US) I like that Spore gives us something to connect with. We've already sent several pictures/stories back and forth to each other. I think thats the community that the Maxis team was going for. You guys made a great game  :)

Offline Pietoro

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia
« Reply #72 on: September 15, 2008, 02:32:12 pm »
I love finding stuff like binary stars in Space, and finding new lifeforms to abduct/meet. It's my favorite phase!

I like watching my tribe interact with each other; that little dance they do randomly is cute. ^^

And of course, the creator tools are awesome. If I ever get bored with the game, I'll never get bored of making things!

"Ooh rabba la dee teeb, ooh babba labba squeeb!"

Offline Elyanna

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Spore Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 15, 2008, 02:52:42 pm »
I've had Spore for a week, and I've played it every day, I think, sometimes for eight hours. It was my last week of summer; college started for me today. Ho hum; I'll have much less time now. I've thought of some more things I like.

1. Achievements. Currently I'm trying to figure out what the secret achievements are. :D

2. Galactic formations. I've found about 55 out of 70.. I was looking forever for a proto-star. Finally found one!

3. Wings. Most of my creatures have had wings. I love flying and I'm glad this made it in.

4. My anthem for my main game keeps getting stuck in my head.
My spore profile: http://www.spore.com/view/profile/elyanna
I like to make plausible creatures.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #74 on: September 15, 2008, 03:13:13 pm »
Yay! We made Caryl happy. :)

That totally makes my day happier too. Thanks everyone for sharing your positive comments. Please keep them coming as you remember them.

I like Pirates, they drop money

I like terrafoming and making planets livable.

I like abducting things.

I like unlocking items to use later that help me with things like the eco-system and balancing.

I like discovering that I can travel through worm holes once I can afford a key.

I like discovering something new on every planet.

I love the buddy list feature in sporepedia and getting creatures I want.

The more I play, the more I love this game.