Author Topic: For Caryl: What we DO like about Spore  (Read 19779 times)

Offline Lucky

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: For Caryl: What we DO like about Spore
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2008, 07:33:50 am »
Wow...  what a great way to start my Monday!  You guys are great!

While I know there's some stuff we can improve, it's really re-affirming to read about some of the things we go right.

Thank you!

<bookmarks thread>

-caryl

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2008, 07:38:24 am »
I like creating things in the editors and then seeing the game bring them to life. Thats pretty neat. I made The Love Boat which made me laugh and so many other things and crazy contraptions like Da Vinci's helicopter and seeing them fly around my planet brings a smile to my face. Its alive! ALIVE!

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2008, 07:46:26 am »
I pretty much love the game as a whole. I think you guys did a great job, And i know the game will be improved so i don't sweat the flaws too much right now.

But something i enjoy a lot right now since i got my internet back is Spore casts. I am having a blast making stuff for my own right now. I also love how you can apply a theme to a planet and all the replay value the game has.

Offline Necrox

• Venture Conqueror
  • Underwater Civs For President!
    • View Profile
    • Lupus Photo
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2008, 07:48:44 am »
We're glad to be able to help a smile on the way instead of a frown :) You deserve the praise, we really do mean this. It just gets lost in all the other stuff sometimes.

I forgot to say as well...
15) I love the Cell stage. It looks so smooth and nice, I really enjoy looking at it. It's a fun mini game, and oh-so nice looking.

16) And for the animation team... the mind boggles. Seriously I can't even begin to comprehend what you achieved with that editor and the animation system. Everytime I even think about it I get dizzy, the accomplishment is just so insane.
We've just heard about it for so long that we sometimes forget that.

Offline Salazar

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2008, 07:58:09 am »
The freedom the editors offer you, for example one of my space ships uses the shielding or cover (i dont even know how that part is called in german, especially not in english) of a bike wheel as decoration.

Also definitely the cell phase which ive probably played more often than any of the other phases and i still find it very fun.

Offline munchkin5

• Punch-Out Champ
  • Gentlemen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2008, 08:07:40 am »
i like the whole game really, the problems are mainly superficial.

Offline eleazar

• Revenging Yar
    • View Profile
    • my spore creatures
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2008, 08:10:10 am »
1) The planets are absolutely beautiful.  Seriously, the colors, atmospheric effects, and nearby planets make it one of the best-looking games i've ever seen.  The only one where after hours of play, i still find myself spending time staring at the sky.

2) The flexibility and power of the editors is one of the historic landmarks of gaming history.  I suppose everyone knows this, but it's worth mentioning.  And of course a big part of that is made possible by the amazing procedural animations, which while imperfect, can deal with an amazing number of weird creature set-ups.

3) Cell is an extremely solid piece of game design.  The only real and reasonable complaints i can think of is that it is so short, and the roster of cells quickly grows familiar.  I don't even usually like twitch games, but the perfect simplicity with the strategic breadth of the many possible and significant cell configurations is a lot of fun.

4) You gotta give them credit for trying something so audacious and original and taking a risk.  They may not have achieved everything they (or we) had hoped, but they achieved an awful lot.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2008, 08:12:12 am »
Great idea for a thread. I've been generally avoiding posting in a lot of threads recently, simply because I know i'll go into a long rant about how cringeful people have been behaving. Well, that, and i've had my face glued to my monitor, playing Spore in every spare moment I get. :P

The customisation is great. Despite what people say about the game, I think Spore is exactly what it was supposed to be. Normally I overplay good games, until I burn out on them. I've played nothing but Spore since it came out and i'm still not losing any steam. They must have done -something- right.

I love how people cant make up their minds what to complain about. Its brokenly easy! Its brokenly hard!
I love how some people have even complained simply because they werent given three serials instead of one. I laughed at that.
I love how the poor PR staff put up with our ceaseless demands, the constant rants and complaints, and still manage to wander out into the battlefield and keep it polite despite it all.
I love how the DRM hasnt given me ANY trouble at all.
I LOVE how people had the balls to take the risk of creating something so original, that they stood to potentially lose a lot of money and time if it flopped. Setting a fine example for the gaming industry.
I love how the Cell stage turned out to be so surprisingly fun.

I love the endearing little actions my creatures do. Like that one baby who loved picking up seashells and banging them together. Or that one Cavemeng who followed us around, throwing branches at us, then when we paid attention, using the lvl.1 charm ability (like it was trying to play innocent). I loved my first encounter with another species in the creature phase, when a confused looking podling stumbled out of some bushes, stared at my creature, then shrieked and ran back into the bushes, vanishing towards its nest. I love the way I can make a creature eat through its eyes. I love the way that even when you think you have the entire game's system mentally mapped out, it still managed to produce the occasional unexpected thing, that makes you chuckle or smile. I love the soundwork and the music. I simply adore the potential this game has, when I think of expansion packs. I cant even begin to imagine what kind of new editors, parts, philosophies, rare events, collectables, phenomenon, tools, phase tweaks, etc, that we might get.

Every year, there are plenty of bland rehashes of typical RTS, FPS and RPG games, every month there is another one floating around. The people who said Spore was shallow and boring just arent the right gamer type, I think. They get a new game every damn month that they can enjoy, so why the complaints?  People like me who cant stand the generic rehash games have to wait for years for something as delicious as Spore to come out! Its like the Sims, it wasnt everyones cup of tea. Yet dont overlook how successful and loved that was. It earned EA and Maxis a real place of mention in gamers minds. Every new release will always have bugs that need ironing out, just because the complaints are loud doesnt mean the game is bad, it just means you have a rabid, devoted fanbase. Its kind of a double-edged sword, a love-hate army of fanboys. You'll find after the superficial creases are ironed out, people will simmer down.

Cheer up Caryl, the only reason why there appears to be such an overwhelming abundance of negativity, is because all the people who love Spore, tend to be busy playing it instead of burning time talking about it. Just remember, you cant please all of the people all of the time. At least you managed to totally win over the more relaxed, creative crowds, as well as giving people new to the gaming scene something great to sink their teeth into. Speaking of which, time for me to get back to Spore. I have yet another species to take up into the Civ stage. Yay building and vehicle designers. *rubs hands*
;)

Offline Moogie

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2008, 08:19:47 am »
Actually, I think the reason there's lots of negativity is exactly the opposite: so many people love Spore, love the idea, love the potential. If people didn't care or hated it, they wouldn't be here spending hours and hours posting and arguing over it. :)

Offline immortius

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2008, 08:28:00 am »
I really love the technology of Spore.
I had a lot of fun messing with the Sporepedia website making SporeScope, although I apologies for any issues it may have caused you and the web team.

Offline econundrum

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2008, 08:30:34 am »
I love the following things in Spore;

1. The whole of the Tidal Pool phase, how they make the environment seem dynamic and give a sense of changing scale + how close form and function are interrelated. e.g. it really matters where you but those spikes.

2. Creature phase, my favourite; The creature editor is great, I like the challenge of trying to evolve my creature while trying to also guide the look of it. The compromise between Form and function, plus I just find this phase very rewarding in terms of seeing your creations up close and personal.

3. All the editors are fun to play with.

4. Most of the space game, except for the lack of effective planetary defenses.

5. Epic creatures

6. The UFOs appearing in Creature,Tribal, Civilization games.

"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations."

David Friedman.

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/econundrum

Offline WeatherMAN

• Sea Battler
  • ^ He's rocking out ^
    • View Profile
    • My Spore Creations!
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2008, 08:44:41 am »
How do I love thee Spore... let me count the ways:

1. The cell phase in its entirety, it is a perfect intro and plays great.

2. The cutscenes in creature phase as well as the transitions between phases, adorable and hilarious.

3. The connection you get playing as your own creation in creature phase

4. The music. It is awesome and is perfect for any situation in the game, never breaks the immersion.

5. The editors, they are truly a feat and I still cannot get over how you can make basically anything your heart desires so easily.

6. Being able to see thousands of others people creations the entire time so its always something new and interesting.

7. Exploring, conquering, uplifting, and allying my way around space.

8. The way space phase truly makes me think about our place in the universe (both insignificant and special) and just how much stuff is really out there.

I hope my criticism amidst my praise did not come off as trollish to your team Maxis, I really truly love Spore and wouldn't hesitate to watch it develop again for 3 or so years like I have already or buy it again knowing all I do now about the game.
Visit: My Spore Creations | My Sporepedia Profile
...Please Comment & Vote Them Up! Their may be cookies involved...
OK... so there aren't any cookies... do it because I have an undying need to get approval from people I've never me

Offline Battlecat

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2008, 08:48:28 am »
What a great idea!  The good so often gets lost with in the complaints.  That being said:

1.  I love the editors.  Honestly, those are the aspect of the game I was most excited about and they absolutly live up to the hype.  The animation is nearly flawless and it's so easy to make something amazing.   

2.  The space stage is truely epic and enormous.  There's so much to do in that stage and yet there's still so much more that could still be added, it excites me so much!   

3.  The other phases!  While the gameplay isn't super deep, they are all very fun and addictive.  The cell creatures are just adorable. 

4.  I'm very excited about the potential for expansion of the gameplay.  I sure hope to see more spore in the future!

Offline AuraBoyX

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2008, 08:52:53 am »
But heres the sad part, I mainly love the game because of what it could have been.

Comments like this irritate me... Though the game can obviously benefit from expansions, to make comments like this after they all worked their butts off to deliver a great game irritate me. Alot of people put their hearts and souls into this game. It is VERY apparent. It's apparent in the passion when they talked about it over the years and in the game itself. They had even said themselves they could work on the game indefinitely and never come to an end. Well they needed to finalize what they had and release it to a community. Part of that community super-hyped this game as the game that could do EVERYTHING (even bake bread). I mean looking back at peoples speculation on what the game would be like was almost an avalanche of hopes and speculation, based on nothing more than their wild imaginations all combined - bouncing off each other.

I would imagine the original poster created this thread as a positive one. As I was reading I was like 'wow' cool a nice positive thread for the developers. But someone always needs to throw in that extra little negative dig under the radar.

I have a problem with EA and their 'registration' limitations... But both Maxis AND the game are EXCELLENT. They are pushing the limit with the procedural generation and that is to be tremendously respected - they have pulled it off. It works! It has allowed countless people to create such unique personal things that quite frankly elates me.

But heres the sad part, I mainly love the game because of what it could have been.

Point is this game COULD HAVE BEEN a big load of crap. It could have sucked. It could have been a tremendous and colossal disaster. But it isn't, it is a great game. Yes expansions and patches will further deepen and smooth out the game... But for a release it's pretty damn good. THANK YOU MAXIS. You have created an EXCELLENT game! Keep up the good work!!! Give us more stuff to amaze us!!!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 08:58:53 am by AuraBoyX »

Offline Necrox

• Venture Conqueror
  • Underwater Civs For President!
    • View Profile
    • Lupus Photo
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2008, 09:01:07 am »
With the risk of sounding like a mod (which, luckily for the community, I'm not), lets be sure we keep this thread on the positives of the game and leave the community out of it from now on.
There are other threads for that - lets keep this a strictly "thumbs up to the devs" thread :)