Author Topic: How big is your package?  (Read 2504 times)

Offline spiritofcat

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Ta-da!
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia Profile
How big is your package?
« on: September 22, 2008, 08:57:11 am »
Edit: Renamed the thread in hope of getting some more data from other users.

Okay, so I had about 13k creations in the Everything tab in my in-game Sporepedia.
I applied the patch, and then decided I wanted to remove the patch.
I tried un-installing Spore and then re-installing from the DVD and not applying the patch.
When I tried to run the game it would then crash before even showing the EA logo.
Someone else gave me the advice that the patch had modified my pollination.package file, and if I renamed or removed it my game would work.
I tried that, and it was true.
The only problem was that now the Everything tab only had about 2k creations in it.

I left Spore running all day, with the in-game Sporepedia open, and it downloaded about another 2k creations, but there's still heaps missing.

My pollination.package at the moment is about 45MB, while my old one that has been patched is 450MB.

Next I tried using SpView to extract the contents of my patched pollination.package.
This resulted in a lot of files, including 11,521 PNG files. I'm sure these are the PNGs for all the stuff that used to be in my Everything tab.
To try to get them back into my game, I've tried putting those files in the My Documents\My Spore Creations\Creatures folder and starting spore, same with Buildings, UFOs and Vehicles, but it seem to work.
My pollination.package increased to about 145MB though, so something must have happened.

My next idea was to drag the PNGs into spore to import them.
This seems to be working.
I'm looking at my pollination.package in Windows Explorer, and its size is growing rapidly.
Spore doesn't want to show its face while the files are importing, but once its done I'll be able to report what number of creations are in my Everything tab.
Edit: And it's still going. my pollination.package is up to 700MB now. The PNGs I was adding totalled less than 300MB, so I'm wondering what's causing all this extra space usage now...
Edit Again: And its finally finished. The pollination.package is now 800MB and my Everything tab has 13,664 creations in it.
Strange that this package is almost twice the size of the patched version.
Maybe in the patch they implemented some sort of compression. That might also explain why after the patch it took longer for things to load...

I'd love to hear from the rest of you:
How many creations in your Everything tab?
How big is your pollination.package?
Is your game patched?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 09:22:18 am by spiritofcat »

Offline Absinth

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • Check out my creatures on the sporepedia
Re: Can I re-build my pollination.package?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 11:25:18 am »
Maybe with a 2nd patch the old polination.package will be usable again, so be sure to keep it safe somewhere.
I know what i wrote yesterday was only a workaround to get the game working again, but i'm glad you have everything back with SpView, although it's far from ideal to have to go through all this.

Maybe in the patch they implemented some sort of compression. That might also explain why after the patch it took longer for things to load...

Seems very plausible.
It's indeed very strange it doubled in size and another option could be that there are duplicated files in it.
Since you seem to be familiar with spview your answer might also be found with that tool by unpacking the new polination.package and compare the content with the former one.
The byte size of the compression used in Spore is only about 50% of the size used in the Sims2 compression.
Some files are even as less as 25%.
Maybe they enhanced this method in the patch and indeed made it smaller.

I'd love to hear from the rest of you:
How many creations in your Everything tab?
How big is your pollination.package?
Is your game patched?

About 3500 creations.
Only 85Mb
Patched game.
Spore has made us gods even before we are worthy of being men.

My sporepedia page
My gamingsteve creature page

Offline spiritofcat

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Ta-da!
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia Profile
Re: Can I re-build my pollination.package?
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 07:07:52 am »
Thanks for the reply.

So my package was 800MB with 13,664 creations. That comes out as about 60KB per creation.

You've got 85MB for 3500 creations. That's 25KB per creation.

That complies with my compression theory, but we'll need a few more replies to get anything vaguely statistical.