Author Topic: Civ IV  (Read 29664 times)

Offline Jonny5

• Atari Combat Vet
  • The One
    • View Profile
    • Jons Blogs
Civ IV
« on: September 15, 2005, 04:09:35 am »
check out the link to listen to an interview with the gaming god that is Sid Meier talking about his new Civ game, by the sounds of it this game will be HUGE!! ;D

http://www.pcgamerpodcast.com/

"there is no spoon"

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
Re: Civ IV
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 09:02:16 am »
Yeah, Civ IV will be awesome, I can't wait for it to come out.  I must have wasted half of my life playing Civilization II, I can't wait to waste the other half playing Civ IV.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 10:21:24 am »
youve spent upwards of 35 years playing Civ 2!!! thats impressive, especially considering 35 years ago computers were less sophisticated than modern calculators. if you have a condition that severly decreases your lifespan then i'm really, really sorry. If not then stop exagerrating! ;)
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline DevilMachine

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Defender of the Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 01:33:54 pm »
yeah will have to get this game once it comes out, looks and sounds great, even for a civ noob like myself, whom has never played any Civ game.

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 01:35:43 pm »
youve spent upwards of 35 years playing Civ 2!!! thats impressive, especially considering 35 years ago computers were less sophisticated than modern calculators. if you have a condition that severly decreases your lifespan then i'm really, really sorry. If not then stop exagerrating! ;)

I was thinking of changing that before I made the post, but I didn't think anyone would actually point it out :P

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 01:59:04 pm »
sorry, i do that sort of thing all the time. Its a basic ground-in character traight that I just cant shake off. If I do it in future- thats just me. ;D

On topic, Ive played CIV 3 and I enjoyed it, the pollution clearing really ticked me off so i'm glad thats gone. the one thing I also disliked was how hard it was to win the game by anything other than military means. i found combat boring and moving troop after troop seperately really got on my nerves. i also hated the way you could grind your enemy down to one city but be totally unable to capture it because he filled it with troops that retreated from other cities- you couldnt just wait untill they starved because the game didnt work that way. i hope that got fixed as well.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 02:04:19 pm by krakow sam »

Offline Oviraptor

• Shinobi Ninja
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005, 02:24:24 pm »
On topic, Ive played CIV 3 and I enjoyed it, the pollution clearing really ticked me off so i'm glad thats gone. the one thing I also disliked was how hard it was to win the game by anything other than military means. i found combat boring and moving troop after troop seperately really got on my nerves. i also hated the way you could grind your enemy down to one city but be totally unable to capture it because he filled it with troops that retreated from other cities- you couldnt just wait untill they starved because the game didnt work that way. i hope that got fixed as well.

Really? I didn't have any of those problems, except the pollution one, that drove me nuts. The thing I hated most was the way they completely ignored you boundaries. And everytime you kicked them off they'd get angry, said they'd stay out and the next turn they wre right back on you territory! Glad that one is fixed too.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2005, 03:20:02 pm »
another thing that fried me was the way you had to give about three of your luxuries to get one of theirs then a few turns later theyd break off the deal and want more but you have to accept to keep your citizens happy

Offline Oviraptor

• Shinobi Ninja
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2005, 05:20:15 pm »
Yes, that was annoying too, they never ever would agree to a fair deal. It is especially annoying when they offer you to pay a huge amount of stuff and they offer something useless, like their map, when you already know everything on theirs. And then if you decide after that you can't make a deal they will hold it against you. I hear they fixed that as well.

Offline UndeadScottsman

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2005, 09:30:54 pm »
I'm hoping he does an Alpha Centauri II after that.  SMAC is probably my absolute favorite sort of sandbox game where I just screw around.  I love how you can automate everything. :)

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2005, 06:30:40 pm »
Oviraptor, thats the reason I don't play Civ III.  The diplomacy is horrible and the AI has no respect for you.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2005, 06:33:30 pm by Sub »

Offline jcikal

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2005, 06:56:38 pm »
Which is why I also stayed away from it after playing a couple of times.  Civ 4 seems to be on the right road to success though.

Offline Jecrell

• Battlezone Captain
  • Giant Snowy Ape
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2005, 07:53:48 am »
Civ 4 has been driving me INSANE.

Just read all this...
http://www.civfanatics.com/civ4/info

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2005, 08:26:35 am »
ooh, Oxford university is a great wonder, people at Cambridge aren't going to be happy.

Offline Kagan

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2005, 03:09:22 pm »
This is going to be spectacular! Just think, I can play the same game I've been playing for, what? Nearly 10 years now! It sounds almost too exciting! I think I'll go back to playing Age of Empires III so I can prepare myself for this.