Are you willing to pay a monthly fee to use online content for spore

Yes
30 (24.4%)
No
88 (71.5%)
Something else. (please explain)
5 (4.1%)

Total Members Voted: 122

Author Topic: Would you pay to play Spore  (Read 17682 times)

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
Re: Would you pay to play Spore
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2008, 08:09:58 pm »
So there ARE pros and cons to not playing online, though it would be funny/anoying to see sum weird stuff people make, You just wont get that if you play ofline, no problem there.

Offline Granite T. Rock

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Granite's Homepage
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2008, 09:05:15 pm »
Thestreet.com article said:

"Spore, if successful, could help the company get there as EA develops a marketplace to charge users for new premade creatures or other in-game accessories. "We may see Spore define the micro-transaction model," said Pachter. "

I really don't like this.  When I buy a game I like to know it is complete and full.  I hate the whole business of spending 10 bucks here or there.  I'm surprised how well the stuff packs sell for the sims.  I generally think they're way over priced for just get a bunch of new items and I'm afraid spore will turn into this as well.
My Spore Profile  ****  My Spore Videos
Wii Friend Code: 7772 0178 1092 3363  Mario Kart Code: 2363-6666-4480 (PM me when you add me)

Offline Genusaus

• Dragster Diehard
  • "She Who Thirsts"
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2008, 11:51:47 pm »
Just release expansions, that would give a stream of revenue. It's work, but hey it's revenue.
The power of purple! The Hundred Years War, which was won by the French started on the year of 1337.

Offline Fobok

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2008, 01:49:23 am »
A subscription to get access to the pollinated content, unless it was cheap (like $5/month, as someone said), I doubt I'd pay for. But microtransactions? That's a good thing. You can pick and choose what you want. Just like I far prefer iTunes, where I can just buy the songs I want, with microtransactions I can buy what I want and skip the rest, without having to pay for a full expansion full of stuff just to get one feature. (Which is what I did for Sims 2. I wanted the cars released in Nightlife, but had to buy the whole expansion pack. I would much rather have paid $5 for the car feature alone than $30 for the full expansion.)

Offline Petike

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2008, 06:50:07 am »
Yes, of course!

I mean, you guys seriously think that it is unfair if you have to pay something like 5$ in a month (the price of a coffee)  for discovering, and playing with, an infinite number of unique creations, and communicating with their creators using an exclusive, and innovative interface???

LMAO!

Yes. Yes we do. That's 60 dollars a year. It's gouging! It's a single player game! Why would you pay just to be able to download other people's creations? I"m sure the computer's creation will be just as interesting. Cept without pop culture references. Or movie references. Or book. Or other stuff like that.
And when do you play a whole year with a single-player game? You can finish most games in 10-30 hours, in a month, or only a weekend if you don't do anything else.

Which is better? Paying 600$ in a year for a new single-player game in every month, to keep you interested, or paying 60$ in a year, for a single game that gives you new content, and interesting experiences even after several hundreds of hours of playing?

I'm not saying that a monthly fee is good, or I like it,  but to be honest it is not unfair, or ridiculously much for a game that you are having fun with, for a long time.
Quote from: MasterChiToes in "Spore was dumbed down"
Maybe the Sporons are the ones that got dumbed down?  ;D

Offline Woulfe

• Wizardry Whiz
  • 40 Years Of Pop-culture
    • View Profile
    • Spore Sillyness Site
« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2008, 07:11:58 am »
Knowing EA, you will be getting Expansion Packs to pay for so why pay for play, one doesn't pay for playing Sims 2, do you ? You can play Sims 2 for free, see I figure if they're using The Sims as a sample in marketing and content strategy, as well as playing the game itself, here's what I expect.

Core Game = $50.00

Expansion Packs = $20.00 to $30.00

Stuff Packs = $10.00 to $20.00

Downloads from website = FREE

Paying to play = FREE

Why ?

Casual gamers ain't gonna fork over squat for stuff off the 'net it's something alien for them to do and understand for that matter, this includes paying for playing as well.

- W -
* Yes this is the same thing I said in pay to download, it's the same logic here as well *

P.S.  If they do start charging for playing they might as well pay US as we're creating CONTENT for the game so it doesn't make a lick of logic to charge for playing in that aspect, yes ?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 07:14:42 am by Woulfe »

Offline rustybrazenfire

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2008, 10:20:38 am »
Spore will replace any MMO I might be playing at the time, so yes I would gladly pay a monthly subscription fee IF it meant levels of support up to par with those in an MMO.

I would expect regular tweaks, upgrades, and additions such as new parts or possibly new editors... all as part of the subscription.

It's much more likely that they'll give away the tweaks (patches) for free, and upgrades/additions will be microtransactions, with bundles being sold as expansion packs.

Offline caosss

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
  • I will scaR tha pants of U
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2008, 12:07:12 pm »
I highly doubt that creatures, buildings, vehicles etc will cost anything to download since they aren't making them themselves..

Offline munchkin5

• Punch-Out Champ
  • Gentlemen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2008, 12:13:43 pm »
I wouldn't pay monthly fees for spore content, It wouldn't be that hard to share files over fan sites anyway.

Offline Kregaaron

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2008, 09:26:39 pm »
Personally, I wouldn't, because we would be creating the vast majority of the content. That does not seem fair, also, I hate pay to play, and a lot of the world of micro transactions (I was happy to see Epic fight for their gears of war downloadable content to be  free after a period of time which I think the fast majority of things like new maps and weapons should be, free).

Just my opinion though.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 21, 2008, 05:13:08 am »
I think people are not getting the point of user created content. The idea is that WE should make the stuff and share it with each other. Not EA. What i think EA should do is try to expand on the game play. Add depth to the levels.
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2008, 05:54:11 am »
That is the way it should be Yokto, you're dead on with that statement.

What's more, I wouldn't even pay for EA-created vehicles, creatures, et cetera because I could make the same thing in the same editors.

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2008, 07:13:58 am »
I think the statement that started this debate was misunderstood.  A microtransaction is a small fee, almost always optional, thrown into an otherwise free to play game so that the makers can make some money.  Example: Silkroad.  I belive what this is is something along the lines of pay 5 dollars and you cna get some new parts.  It's nothing sinister and it's nothing to be concerned about.  Frankly, the fact that there's the potential for microtransactions means instead of (or possible allong with) one big expansion pack every few months, we cna buy a few small things whenever we feel like it.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline KL0k

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2008, 07:57:36 am »
a business plan like that would (sorry for the words) piss people more off, then just expansion packs or lil ads in the sporepedia n stuff. plus, there would be several options to disable stuff like that, even if content like that, is hosted on another server and free to download outside the game. or a hack that would disable/workaround the transaction-script or somthing.
plus all the different paying-methods. (over here it isnt like in the states, where everyone has a creditcard etc.)

/edit: after thinking about this now a lil bit, i have to add somthing:
paying to play... it would completly destroy my hype and hopes bout this game, no matter how hard i love this title.
i would just add it to the list of all the "dead games, which i liked in the beginning when they showed pieces and talked about them, and then turned into something i learned to hate" (black n white.. star wars galaxies.. matrix online.. doom3.. gothic 3.. etc. the list is endless, you get the point)
i was not that addicted to them then to spore, but the result would be the same - this feeling would change while i think about it (it actually does while im thinkin about the possibility), and the longer i do, the worst it gets.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 06:41:41 pm by KL0k »

Offline Granite T. Rock

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Granite's Homepage
« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2008, 04:42:00 pm »
I think the statement that started this debate was misunderstood.  A microtransaction is a small fee, almost always optional, thrown into an otherwise free to play game so that the makers can make some money.  Example: Silkroad.  I belive what this is is something along the lines of pay 5 dollars and you cna get some new parts.  It's nothing sinister and it's nothing to be concerned about.  Frankly, the fact that there's the potential for microtransactions means instead of (or possible allong with) one big expansion pack every few months, we cna buy a few small things whenever we feel like it.

Nickel and diming sucks.  Micro transactions for me create the same warm fuzzy feeling people get when they see the 5 dollar network access fee on their phones (or for people ontario the ontario hydro debt repayment fee on their electric bills).   Sims 2 expansion packs bug me too.  I think their too expensive for the things you get in return and the prices take a looong time to go down.  (My wife begs to differ which is why we have them all).  I did get the BF2 maps packs but only after I could get them all at walmart for 10 bucks. 

Back to Spore... The problem with Sims 2 expansions is that it's difficult to download custom content 'cause you gotta make sure you have the aligning packs.  I wonder how in spore that would work if there are micro transactions for parts or sets of parts.   Would creatures only pollinate to systems that have purchased said parts?  As a creator that could block off a large segment of potentional computers your creature could visit and might be frustrating.  Especially if the pack you got isn't popular.
My Spore Profile  ****  My Spore Videos
Wii Friend Code: 7772 0178 1092 3363  Mario Kart Code: 2363-6666-4480 (PM me when you add me)