Author Topic: camouflage and mimicry  (Read 2772 times)

Offline Therlun

• Fire Truck Driver
  • Hope and Hate
    • View Profile
camouflage and mimicry
« on: April 17, 2005, 10:36:40 am »
hiho

E3 is still far away, so there is still only speculation.. *sigh*.

I hope there will be some "passive" evolutionary possibilities, like camouflage and mimicry ( "The act, practice, or art of mimicking" ).

In the presentation the Will Wright creature ran away from the "crab thing". I hope there are other possible ways of surviving then killing and running away.
Becomming "invisible" for your enemy is quite effective. As is becomming unappetizing or deterrent, dont you think? :)

This could even be extended to the later stages. A civilization that fits its buildings perfectly into the landscape, making it diffictult to detect by planetblasting UFOs... ;)

Change is being.

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
Re: camouflage and mimicry
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2005, 10:39:49 am »
I would be surprised with something like this.  The only game I've played that really dealt with camo was Snake Eater and even there I wasn't completely bought over by it.  I suspect that there might be some form of Aggro that starts off conflicts and getting away or fighting will be the main way to end it.  Hiding might work but I'm not sure.  If they could work it out decently, I'd be all for some form of camo/mimicry.  Here's to hoping they know what they're doing. -leeman

Offline aquaman

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Must...Get....SPORE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 01:09:16 am »
I think the idea of coming invisble is a bit too far fetched.  But camouflage sounds plausible, but I don't think it would be included.

Offline Schiz

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 01:58:59 am »
it's i nice idea for an expansion i guess

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 02:32:04 am »
if my wishes are granted and we can link content for spolinization (spore polinization) through the database then we'll certainly see user-content that does this.  Myself I intend to model most of my creatures on my main planet (the one I choose as my project when I reach sandbox) after the environment.  So if I can link say, this spider and that bush, this lizard and that rock surface, etc. then other users will not have such an easy time tracking them down or seeing them coming.

But I hope it goes one step further and this kind of thing is coded into the game itself.

Offline beastt

• Kaboom Boomer!
  • I be back, With cats!
    • View Profile
    • Teh Janth
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 02:45:08 am »
i like the idea of camouflage but i think unless programed for it it probably wouldn't work
but still camouflage is cool and it would be great in-game
It's caturday, Post some cats!

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 04:02:25 am »
It would work from the players perspective.  If I design a predator to look exactly like a tree and fill my planet with forests, and then you happen to download the planet as a whole then you wouldn't see easily these predators and any creatures you have or try to raise on the planet would (when under your direct control) be at a disadvantage.  Please please please have this naturally occuring and not just player influenced.

Offline beastt

• Kaboom Boomer!
  • I be back, With cats!
    • View Profile
    • Teh Janth
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 04:56:35 am »
*sigh* fair point
It's caturday, Post some cats!

Offline Tarrasque

• Mystery House Madman
  • Freedom at last!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2006, 05:05:46 am »
Go to the Spore gameplay video Steve has linked in the Spore Archives on this page. Choose the CUT version. At 7:20 he starts being chased by the big spidery thingy.

7:26: "On the other hand this guy's kinda fast, and he has (unintelligible) stealth ...

What may be unintelligble to me may not be unintelligible for you. Maybe I'm wrong.
"I'm Jack's complete lack of surprise"

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2006, 05:57:43 am »
I remember the part well... but I was caught up too much (all 3 or 4 times I watched it) in the humor of him being caught off guard and running away  ;D

I hope that the "******* stealth" that was mentioned was what we're refering to here

Offline Mason11987

• Rally-X Roadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2006, 08:07:36 am »
I remember the part well... but I was caught up too much (all 3 or 4 times I watched it) in the humor of him being caught off guard and running away  ;D

I hope that the "******* stealth" that was mentioned was what we're refering to here

Could be reffering to sneaking up on an enemy quitly who has a bad "sense" rating, so they can't hear as well :)
My Sporepedia page: http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Mason11987
On GS: http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=12609.0

Maxis and Spore - Bringing your imagination to life: