Poll

Do you want fleets in this game?

Yes, I want detailed armadas.
No, I just want UFOs, no armadas at all.
I don't care.
I just want a very simple warship class.

Author Topic: Fleet and armada poll!  (Read 7391 times)

Offline AGENT15

• Brain Games Mastermind
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
Fleet and armada poll!
« on: April 04, 2006, 04:18:12 pm »
READ THISIF YOU CHOOSE ARMADAS, THIS DOES NOT MEAN THERE WILL BE NO UFO! MERELY UFO AND MARADA!THANK YOUSince threads about this are getting crazy, I have decided to create this poll in the forum. THIS IS A BASIC POLL! If you dont like these options, then don't vote, and either reply with an option I should add next time (If there is one) or give everyone an explanation of how you would want it to work, and/or why.

I edited the title so its not all caps.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 11:47:09 am by AGENT15 »

DONT EAT MY FACE!

Offline Tantalus

• Bezerk Brawler
    • View Profile
Re: FLEETS/ARMADAS/WHATEVER POLL!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 05:31:57 pm »
Good idea, bump

Offline xnodas

• Frogger Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 05:34:47 pm »
let the mass producing begin!!!!!
"Tell me what you cherish most...give me the pleasure of taking it away." Final Fatasy VII: Advent Children

Offline Gwahir

• Missile Commander
  • Every so often, you need a really big explosion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 06:16:53 pm »
good idea.  While in no way completely representative, it should at least provide Maxis with one corner of the community's view on the subject.

Give me full armadas, with carrier groups, fighter launching capabilities and varied methods of interstellar travel.  Though you could make the rule that you can't go somewhere without your UFO going first, so you might be required to create a gate system.  That would be a nice compromise in my opinion.
Celestial billiards is fun!

Offline Tantalus

• Bezerk Brawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 07:20:28 pm »
Yeah gates would work well. That way the connection could be real time but it would still take a long time for you to go to places you haven't visited yet. It would also allow you to visit your solar systems without requiring huge amounts of time.

Offline AGENT15

• Brain Games Mastermind
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 07:50:15 pm »
good idea.  While in no way completely representative, it should at least provide Maxis with one corner of the community's view on the subject.

Give me full armadas, with carrier groups, fighter launching capabilities and varied methods of interstellar travel.  Though you could make the rule that you can't go somewhere without your UFO going first, so you might be required to create a gate system.  That would be a nice compromise in my opinion.
THATS THE SPIRIT!
DONT EAT MY FACE!

Offline patsplats

• Zork Emperor
  • bwahahaha e=fish bwahahah
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 08:32:18 pm »
there is a UFO editor so maybe you can turn it into a war machine by giving it weapons but i doubt it with the whole quote: swiss army knife idea  so i would like it but to my knowledge all evidence is against it.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 08:35:27 pm by patsplats »
Code:

Offline Doomstrom

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 11:57:05 pm »
I say a very simple warship class, lead by the UFO. I reckon, the more detailed and powerful armada, the less effectiveness of the UFO. What would the point be in having one if we could have amazing armadas aswell  :-\
#1 Spore Fan. You better believe it.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2006, 06:07:53 am »
It would be nice, but to be honest I think it's just going to be the UFO as an Avatar, allowing you to play in the whole sandbox. Other ships are just a bonus.

Offline xip

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
    • xip software
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2006, 07:51:18 am »
Well, i was soooo happy about the game, but when i found out about the hole - one UFO avatar, swiss army knife tool -
that destroys large part of the game for me, i so badly wants to make my own fleet just like Gwahir wrote, I want(i Need!) armadas, with carrier groups, fighter launching capabilities and varied methods of interstellar travel!
when i heard of the game is just assumed this would be in, cuss i wanted to make my own startrec/stargate races and start large galactic wars ... i must say this do make me loose allot of the hype about this game :~(

the hole - start wars with other races- gets Cinda of Lame with only one UFO ...

well, anyway ... i guess there is one solution... or what do you say Mr Jaleho ;) *HINT* *HINT*

« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 10:22:15 am by xip »
/WushuKid

Offline Petike

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2006, 08:25:22 am »
I want it to be something like the civ stage, but with more planets, and space vehicles instead of tanks.

I don't want to be the UFO :( :( :(
Quote from: MasterChiToes in "Spore was dumbed down"
Maybe the Sporons are the ones that got dumbed down?  ;D

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2006, 08:29:27 am »
The Caps Locks key is one the right-hand side of the keyboard. Please never use it again.

I want vast space fleets, but only for war, transport and trade. I thinik Terraforming and abducting should be reserved for the UFO.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline mrodgers

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2006, 08:36:18 am »
I don't want to be the UFO :( :( :(

You can make it look however you want (or so it appears).  I wonder if its customizable enough to make it look like my creature (or at least his head).  My enemies will cower in fear as it approaches.
Check out my (Thurlin's) creatures, building, and vehicles.  You won't be disappointed.

http://www.spore.com/flash/csa_widget.swf?userid=2263477425&username=Thurlin&host=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spore.com%2Fview%2Fuser-thumbnail

Offline Megajames75

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2006, 10:44:48 am »
The Caps Locks key is one the right-hand side of the keyboard. Please never use it again.

What keybord are you useing, or do you have problems with left and right
My sporepedia page:

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Cold-Fire

I have over 50 creatures, I only upload my best so each of these should be good. All my creatures work ingame, and are beliveable.

Please take a look at my sporecast of the Flob species:

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=ssc-500012834975

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2006, 10:48:14 am »
noooooooooooo, trust me , armadas just will not work, its will never work!!! just trust me on this one.
Never mind your own business.

Offline Armadous

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2006, 11:07:47 am »
Aramdas for me are are a must to create a well rounded galacti simulator. Without fleets of ships encountering and engaging one another it just woulden't seem real.

However, I don't want to micromanage it. I'm not looking for an RTS here, I just want to say mark an enemy planet for invasion and set what percent of my current fleet I want to invade and they go about invading. Then I get to sit back and watch the fireworks.

I of course want to be able to design the ships including the ability to create stuff like carriers, missile boats, and sensor ships and have them behave and fight like they should. That may seem a bit unrealistic but the game can allready take any discombobulation of a creature you throw at, then animate and texture it. Given that don't think it's so unrealistic to think that armadas are byond the realm of possability.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 11:10:15 am by Armadous »

Gaming Stream : winamp required

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2006, 11:11:21 am »
i only support this if its completly optional.

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2006, 11:13:47 am »
i only support this if its completly optional.

Yeah, same here. I'm gonna be busy colonizing, doing genetic experiments, and I don't have time for armadas.
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2006, 11:17:59 am »
I'm pretty sure any developers that have been reading this board have seen this topic discussed enough to see that quite a few people want armadas and fleets and stuff.

Me, I don't care. I would just want it to be practical enough if I were to go the 'one-man army' route. Formations and strategies? No, that's okay. I'll take my simple single-unit controls over that any day.
Also, I seem to like Will's idea that the UFO becomes your avatar for that point in the game. Pretty sure he's the one who said that anyway.
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline xip

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
    • xip software
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2006, 11:40:25 am »
@Brutus_ and Vivec:
Why do you even think this who'd be anything except optional?, No one will force you to do anything ... it goes against everything this game stands for.
you probably dint even have to get to the UFO stage, and just spent for ever on your little planet playing around with your tanks.

but the fact that the devs Don't add a such a major important part to space-games, for those ho really badly want it, is going to go back and bite them in the ass.
/WushuKid

Offline SmileyMan

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2006, 11:44:21 am »
I would create my own Empire fleet, and my main battleship would be called: "KIRBY DESTROYER". xD

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2006, 11:48:05 am »
well whats to stop the enemy making a fleet, its ok but only if they only make fleets when you do.

Offline aquaman

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Must...Get....SPORE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2006, 11:49:42 am »
THANKS FOR HAVING THE TITLE IN CAPITALS AND WITH AN EXCLAMATION MARK AT THE END.

OTHERWISE I WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO READ ENGLISH PROPERLY!!!  :P

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2006, 11:52:48 am »
THANKS FOR HAVING THE TITLE IN CAPITALS AND WITH AN EXCLAMATION MARK AT THE END.

OTHERWISE I WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO READ ENGLISH PROPERLY!!!  :P

WHAT DO YOU EXPECT FROM A GUY WHOSE USERNAME IS IN CAPITALS?

Offline aquaman

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Must...Get....SPORE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2006, 12:05:43 pm »

OTHERWISE I WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO READ ENGLISH PROPERLY!!! :P

WHAT DO YOU EXPECT FROM A GUY WHOSE USERNAME IS IN CAPITALS?

SPEAK UP!!!  ???

Offline xip

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
    • xip software
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2006, 12:39:09 pm »
@Brutus_: i don't mind if my opponent NPC players get star-fleets, in fact, i Demand that Thai do!:P
i think things who'd be a bit booring if thy didn't.

but sure, I anderstand that people don't want to be stressed about about being attacked and destroyed before thy even get to invent weapons to defend them self... and sure, I also want to explore and invent every possible solution in evolution before being attacked and destroyd by any aliens, but there is always solutions to stuff like this. it is more an issues of figuring out a nice protective rules that dont limit the game to mutch.

I'm confident it who'd be possible to apply fleets for opponent NPC, without it killing of the balance of the game.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 12:47:12 pm by xip »
/WushuKid

Offline patsplats

• Zork Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2006, 01:22:26 pm »
@Brutus_: i don't mind if my opponent NPC players get star-fleets, in fact, i Demand that Thai do!:P
i think things who'd be a bit booring if thy didn't.

but sure, I anderstand that people don't want to be stressed about about being attacked and destroyed before thy even get to invent weapons to defend them self... and sure, I also want to explore and invent every possible solution in evolution before being attacked and destroyd by any aliens, but there is always solutions to stuff like this. it is more an issues of figuring out a nice protective rules that dont limit the game to mutch.

I'm confident it who'd be possible to apply fleets for opponent NPC, without it killing of the balance of the game.
did you mention to read anything they said they wouldnt attack you and only colinize until you hurt them first allthough taking out their home planet first before they left would take care of it
Code:

Offline 10-Neon

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2006, 01:43:37 pm »
Maybe by not building a fleet of your own, it is assumed that that saved money would have gone into upgrading your UFO and civilization. A player with a fleet will be able to tackle enemy fleets with their fleets, while a player without would take them on with a superior UFO and planetary defenses.
"The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate." -The Resteraunt at the End of the Universe

Offline Lu Yan

• Video Pinball Wizard
  • That's a nice spear! Do you use it to Fish?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2006, 06:03:34 pm »
I would like a space fleet, though I could live without one. Look at a game like "Destroy All Humans" and you see how effective a one ship fleet can be.

-Lu Yan

Offline xip

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
    • xip software
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2006, 06:26:15 pm »
@patsplats:

I read everything ... and yeas, i have read the hole 'only attack after being attacked' thing... witch i personally think sucks, and THAT is an perfect example of an protective rule that damages and limits the game play.

/WushuKid

Offline AGENT15

• Brain Games Mastermind
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2006, 07:30:03 pm »
@patsplats:

I read everything ... and yeas, i have read the hole 'only attack after being attacked' thing... witch i personally think sucks, and THAT is an perfect example of an protective rule that damages and limits the game play.

Wait, whats the "attack only after being attacked" thing? Can our ship ONLY attack people  that shoot at us first?
DONT EAT MY FACE!

Offline patsplats

• Zork Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2006, 07:48:57 pm »
@patsplats:

I read everything ... and yeas, i have read the hole only attack after being attacked thing... witch i personally think sucks, and THAT is an perfect example of an protective rule that damages and limits the game play.

Wait, whats the "attack only after being attacked" thing? Can our ship ONLY attack people  that shoot at us first?
no the game is made with a AI so no unfair advantage against you will happen so if they get mad they will attack but this won't ruin any other guy's experience because the game is massively singleplayer and they won't have to deal with this when they play but they will be gone from your PCs game
Code:

Offline Genusaus

• Dragster Diehard
  • "She Who Thirsts"
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2006, 07:51:58 pm »
You should be able to hit multiple places at once, therefore, I think armadas are more effective and I would like them to be in this game.
The power of purple! The Hundred Years War, which was won by the French started on the year of 1337.

Offline xip

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
    • xip software
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2006, 09:33:40 pm »
bahh... funny how you put it "game is made with a AI so no unfair advantage against you will happen".
it feels more like that rule goes against everything an AI stands for.

The limitation of other races not attacking you first, is just stupid... and sure, it is done to securing an balanced gameplay, but i still think thy could have solved it differently. the fact that you can live on your own secure little corner in your galaxy and no one will ever bother you unless you pick a fight with some one else first, is just absurd.

If alien AI's instead could attack you IF thy found your race to be a threat with their current level of technology, then things who'd be completely different, and this makes allot more sense if we try to make the AI do logical and strategical moves.
yeas, we could have a problem, where the aliens starts attacking you over time you do some progress, but that is more an issue of balance.

the hole "don't attack unless we attack first" seems more like a simple solution to a complex problem, seems to me... thy didn't put much thought in it, but that is just my humble opinion.

anyway... back to the topic, lets just hope the dev people add armada suport to the game, it is simply to important not to :)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 09:42:53 pm by xip »
/WushuKid

Offline Lambsquirter

• Megamania Megalomaniac
  • Don't play with your food
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2006, 10:06:19 pm »
i don't care, just like the way i voted...
Under construction

Offline Whoa...cool

• Atari Combat Vet
  • Maddener of the Just
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2006, 10:41:22 pm »
In my not so proffesional opinion... Armadas are key. Imagine if you will massive space battles spanning across an entire galaxy... thousands of ships engaging eachother at all times and planets exploding left and right. Now... this may be a gross exageration of anything that is possible but something along this line would add far more depth to the endgame experience
Truth is overrated

Offline Elyagra

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2006, 03:39:10 am »
mmm a fleet of pink Star Destroyers...if only..

Going on the poll I think quite a few people want armada's, they could put an option (like others ahve said) that allows you to turn them on/off
Forum Lurker Extraordinaire

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2006, 04:40:20 am »
those that only want a single UFO, I pose you this question:  in last years GDC vid, why did will run away from a civ that didn't even have space travel yet?  Possibly it was because he wanted to show us the blow-up-a-planet-gun but more possibly it's because they would have killed him.

The UFO is a swiss-army-knife of the interstellar age.  I love the comparison.

And would you fight a tribe of spearmen with a single swiss army knife?  How about a single jaguar?

Offline SmileyMan

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2006, 04:45:29 am »
I've seen the "Swiss-army-knife" thing a lot of places, but what do you guys actually mean by saying it!?!?  :o

Offline aquaman

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Must...Get....SPORE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2006, 05:27:34 am »
Will Wirght calls the UFO a swiss-armyknife in the GDC 2005 talk.  Its basically a vital tool for completing the later stages (that's if you can complete them)

Offline SmileyMan

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2006, 05:30:52 am »
Ah.

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2006, 08:35:22 am »
a swiss army knife (which is kind of silly cuz switzerland is always neutral) is a small pocket knife that has loads (LOADS) of little features.  knife, scissors, nail clippers, magnifying glass, file, wrench, screwdrivers, rifle scope, you name it, it's there.

So the UFO is like a super-multi-tool vehicle, therefore the 'swiss army knife' of intergalactic travel.  But as per my comment, a swiss army knife is a 'jack of all trades, master of none' tool.