Author Topic: 2016 Election  (Read 90405 times)

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Elections
« Reply #1560 on: August 10, 2016, 06:52:17 pm »
Part 2 - OK, what about ACA?

Plans D-G are called Cadillac plans because they  cover just about everything. They are also extremely expensive and this is where, in 2018, the fit is going to hit to political shan. A plan that costs over $28500 a years is going to get taxes 40% as a penalty.

"But Lego", I hear you cry, "the most expensive plan listed is G and it is only $14,500 a year for a family."

Nope. That is what the EMPLOYEE pays, which can end up being only 15-25% of the actual plan cost. Assuming it is 25% for the family plans, they ACTUALLY can cost (some rounding):
A: $22600
B: $22200
C: $17732
D: $24700
E: $29900
F: $29700
G: $58000

If we assume a 5% per year price increase for the next two year (to 2018) these numbers become

A: $24916
B: $24475
C: $19550
D: $27231
E: $32965 + 40% = $46151
F: $32744 +40% = $45842
G: $63945 +40% = $89523

Ouch. And within a year or two D also goes over the edge.

That 40% hit is intended to keep plans affordable and restrict the insurance companies from gouging the American Public. At that point you need to reduce costs or reduce coverage.

The fast answer is reduce coverage and put more of the cost on the consumer. We'll hear about it in two years.

The other method is to reduce cost. Oh yeah, the gold calf is slowly being dragged in to the light.

Medical care costs in the United States are not regulated. They can charge you whatever they want. The only challenge is charging you as much as they can while still hoping you can pay. When you have insurance, the insurance companies meeting with the hospitals and agree to reimbursements for various procedures and RULES about when you can do certain procedures. (got a bad heart, need a pacemaker, you need to try drug therapy for nine months and suffer because the insurance won't pay the $37,000 for the pacemaker).

The idea with the 40% excise tax is to cap insurance companies.

"But!" they screamed, "We will lose money!"

So the ACA forces all Americans to get health insurance and pay in to the pot. The Fed dumps billions in to state exchanges and private insurance companies to get them to make it possible for all Americans to get insurance. Too broke to pay for it, here is a subsidy to help you if you're poor. Where does that subsidy come from? Our Taxes! Too poor to pay taxes too? Don't worry, we'll just F-over the middle class some more.

ok. I'm getting a little political, so I'll cut to the chase. Until the actual COST of health care is addressed (starting with Tort reform) this is a money pit.

The 2018 cap in place is going to force insurance providers to raise their rates on the cheaper plans. Those plans you have to have,so the poor get subsidies, so out go more taxes.

I don't want to be force to buy insurance. Well, technically you don't have to. Just pay a growing penalty each year instead which is 2.5% of your gross adjusted income with a shifting cap, currently at $695 per adult and $347.50 per child, to a maximum of $2,085.

End Part 2

-Lego

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: August 10, 2016, 07:13:19 pm »
So what is going wrong?

There is a loophole in the enrollment process that allow people to enroll after they had a problem. This is a very bad thing.

But first, a couple good things, no more disqualifications for pre-existing conditions. In many states employee-offer insurance was protected by this under law, but a unemployed citizen was not. Diabetic? Sorry, we won't cover you. ACA banned that.

Another good thing: No more medical payout caps. Many plans had $1millon or $2million max payout caps. Major cancer treatments and rehabilitation can burn that up in under a few years. ACA - no more caps. The insurance companies have to keep paying out.

Now put them together.

Bob find out he has cancer but no job or insurance, Bob enrolls big plan because of the loop hole and is covered. Bob doesn't make premium  payments after the first couple and coast on a 3 month COBRA credit. Bob end up only paying a few thousand dollars, the insurance company gets soaked for the rest, potentially a million or more.

So, many insurance companies are getting out of the exchanges. The number of seriously sick people was much higher than anticipated and the losses extreme (most are saying at least a half a billion dollars on the low end)

There is a hole in the balloon and nobody in Washington is going to put in more money during an election year.

So people that have to get insurance are getting fewer options. The companies that are still in are going to raise their rates and reduce payouts. People may risk it and pay the penalty and file bankruptcy if it goes to pot rather than pay in.

But Obamacare is working! Look at the numbers!

Ok, lets look at the numbers and this will be the last part I point out. I call it the smoke and mirrors piece.

Under 26? Stay on mom and dad's dime!

Obamacare allowed 'under employed' offspring to remain on their parents insurance plan until they turn 26. That means they plugged and 8 year gag order in the statistics (18-26) to keep people insured so long as they are 'under-employed'. Gee, better not work too hard or even look for a job then, I can't afford the mandatory health insurance! HEY LOOK! Unemployment is going down!

Yuck

-Lego

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: August 10, 2016, 07:59:24 pm »
Bernie was it

Man. We're so boned. Lego why you do that
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: August 11, 2016, 01:46:35 am »
Maybe his mistake was attaching his name to it. AttleeCare is a terrible name for the NHS.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: August 11, 2016, 05:41:51 am »
Bernie was it

Man. We're so boned. Lego why you do that

I work in health care, I'm gonna get majorly boned before it really goes in the crapper because of this mess. Hint, I only get to choose between A, B, and C so here come the budget cuts.

-Lego

p.s. sorry for the bad grammar and typos in the three post example. I rushed it and was tired. I might go back and fix it someday.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 05:47:32 am by Legodragonxp »

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #1565 on: August 11, 2016, 05:54:13 am »
Never fear, Lego.

We usually just assume it is alcohol-related.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: August 11, 2016, 10:14:49 am »
I usaully gloss over stuff so quickly I baerly notice
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: August 11, 2016, 10:50:37 am »
So how come healthcare is a non-issue this election? Is it just Trump-magic or was Sanders the only one who cared?
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: August 11, 2016, 10:54:08 am »
Never fear, Lego.

We usually just assume it is alcohol-related.

I wish it had been, been sick for three days. I have this habit of going back and editing but forgetting to change tenses and such.

-Lego

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: August 11, 2016, 10:59:40 am »
So how come healthcare is a non-issue this election? Is it just Trump-magic or was Sanders the only one who cared?

I wouldn't say it's a non issue. Trumps gaffes just take up all the air time so luckily no one has to actually address our issues and discuss solutions.

They both have a healthcare page

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: August 11, 2016, 04:13:20 pm »
So today's side anti-Trump CNN position is that while NAFTA has been an issue with Mexico, the bigger problem has been with Canada. So stop hold the maple syrup and pass me a taco.

"BLAME CANADA! BLAME CANADA!.."

-Lego

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #1571 on: August 12, 2016, 07:09:19 am »
"We must blame them and cause a fuss
Before someone thinks of blaming us!"

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: August 14, 2016, 01:59:00 am »
Maybe his mistake was attaching his name to it. AttleeCare is a terrible name for the NHS.

Obama didn't call it Obamacare though. It was a name cooked up by critics of the idea and general media wags which was catchy so everyone adopted it and started using it.

Parts 1, 2 and 3

Gee whiz, what a simple, comprehensible system. I can see why ordinary working people without qualifications in accounting love it so much.

For whatever flaws it may have I feel incredibly lucky to have a system where for me as the end user everything just comes down to an extra column on my monthly paycheck denoting National Insurance contribution and then I can go to the doctor any time I want for nontrivial issues.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: August 14, 2016, 02:06:55 am »
Yeah that's the dream.

I have the same expense on my paycheck for all the good it does me

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #1574 on: August 14, 2016, 07:20:18 am »
Finally met one of those types that think America invented slavery and is therefore responsible for all of it ever and can never be forgiven.

I never actually believed these people exist. But they do tend to defy expectation.